Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: 3pk or 4pk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2009, 07:54 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default 3pk or 4pk

As I'm sure a lot of you have noticed I have been asking a lot of different questions on several different formums here. I have finally decided on a build with the help of run2jeepn owner of jpcustomrcs.com All that is left is to select a radio and fortunately my wife has increased my budget.

I would like to have a dig setup for now either the punkRC dig switch or the usual radio shack setup. But eventually I might like to go dual esc's. I have read the review of the 4pk by Harley and it is awesome I love the different features and progamability. But I havn't seen much on the 3pk, so what is the main differences? I will probably never be using rear steer, seeing as how it isn't allowed in 2.2 comp. I don't know that I will ever move up to super class or want rear steer for amusement purposes because I don't want to ever get used to it if it's not allowed in comp.

So that's basically it,

Differences between 3pk and 4pk

Probably never use rear steer

Dig or dual esc's

Which would be better for me?

Any other radio ideas anyone might have that are of equal comparison to either of these 2 radios.
mhuffman_81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-18-2009, 08:11 PM   #2
RCC Addict

I personally wouldnt trade my 4pk for 2 of any thing out there, I have had them all. 4pk has more options, lighter, better quality all around. mixing potential on these radios are endless. 4th channel can be used to power reciever if needed. 1 for gear 2 for steer 3 for punk dig switch. I use 4 to power the reciever from my bec. Next on the list would be a DX3R, also a light radio, Then the 3pk, its heavier that the DX3R and the 4pk but has more tuning capabilities than the DX3r. In my opinion 4pk all the way...
hbj069 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 08:20 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

I have seen that before using 4 for the bec, what do you mean by that. I didn't realize that a bec required a channel on a radio. So how would that work with a 3 channel then?
Old 07-18-2009, 08:23 PM   #4
20K Club

Here is a quick and dirty between the two radios, I am tires so it will be short and sweet

If you want to run MOA in competition then get the 4PK. The best setups utilize all 4 channels.

The 3PK is not quite as comfortable to use but is a great radio. The 4PK uses a smaller and lighter 5 cell pack.

The 4PK can be used with a punk switch if needed but I would suggest going right to dual Tekin FXR's as the cost difference is only about $30.

The biggest difference is as simple as 4 channels vs 3 channels.

And not, nothing else comes close
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 09:23 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

The difference is the 4pks ability to run the front motor (channel 3) and rear motor (channel 4) independently on the trigger (dual mixing). You can not turn the front motor (channel 2) off the trigger with the 3pk. What that means is rear dig (channel 3) is a pain with the 3pk running dual esc. I'm trading my 3pk up to a 4pk for this reason.
oldhippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 09:44 PM   #6
RCC Addict

4pk no questions asked, hands down best radio out there
scatterbrains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 03:33 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhippie View Post
The difference is the 4pks ability to run the front motor (channel 3) and rear motor (channel 4) independently on the trigger (dual mixing). You can not turn the front motor (channel 2) off the trigger with the 3pk. What that means is rear dig (channel 3) is a pain with the 3pk running dual esc. I'm trading my 3pk up to a 4pk for this reason.
Can you elaborate on that. I understood the punkRC dig was intented for MOA rigs. What makes it more difficult on the 3pk? Is it just the 3pk that makes it difficult? Are there other 3 channel 3 pos radios that it works better on? I understood it was a simple flick of a switch to go from front lock, 4wd, and rear lock.
Old 07-19-2009, 06:43 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhippie View Post
You can achieve rear dig with the 3pk. Not as easy as the 4pk but I do it with one of the pmix. I don't use it often but it is there when I want it. You could probably use some combination of pmix and the punk dig setup and make it do a two step or cha,cha,cha with the 3pk.
One-eyed Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 08:10 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhuffman_81 View Post
Can you elaborate on that. I understood the punkRC dig was intented for MOA rigs. What makes it more difficult on the 3pk? Is it just the 3pk that makes it difficult? Are there other 3 channel 3 pos radios that it works better on? I understood it was a simple flick of a switch to go from front lock, 4wd, and rear lock.
If you are using the punk (or dig swiches) and one esc you can use any 3 position third channel radio. The dx3r/3pk/4pk (might even get the 3pm to work) will give you front and rear dig on the trigger. I'm talking about running dual esc without switches and having proportional control options.
oldhippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 09:00 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhuffman_81 View Post
I have seen that before using 4 for the bec, what do you mean by that. I didn't realize that a bec required a channel on a radio. So how would that work with a 3 channel then?
It's not that the BEC requires a Ch, per say, just a means of putting + and - voltage on the rx if it has no bec plug. If your not using the Ch for output, it can be used for power input. Just make sure you don't apply power on the signal pin...
ohmyCLOD! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 09:46 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

I have the 3pk an I love it, yes doing a true rear dig is a little confusing/gay but it still can be done. But if I had the coin to upgrade to a 4pk I would!

So here it is, if your wife is "allowing" you (i use "." because I dont agree with having to ask if you can spend money if all other stuff is paid for) to spend the money on a 4pk, do it! Also spend the extra $30 and get dual fx-r esc's. If you want to spend a little less pick up a used 3pk with fasst or spectrum module and do either dual fx-r's or punk switch.
axman2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 05:59 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

I am only running 3 channels in any of my stuff. I have a 3PKS and a 4PK. My 3PKS is just as light as my 4PK and was just as easy to set up using my 3PKS as it was using my 4PK. To be perfectly honest with you, my 4PK is getting sold soon and I will be using my 3PKS because I don't need the 4PK for anything it does. Great radio, but not required unless you're running 2 ESC's, in my opinion.
Scottmisfits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 06:20 AM   #13
Rock Crawler

In the end, you have to answer your own question. You have to determine what setup (esc/dig) you are going to use. If you plan on using dual esc's (which I higly recommend ) then the 4PK is the way to go hands down. If you only need 3 channels and have no future plans for a need for a 4th channel then maybe the 3PK will meet your needs.
J
jdawg53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 05:04 AM   #14

I'm confused. I am able to use two ESC's with my 3PKS. Channel 2 is front ESC, channel 3 is rear. All you have to do is use one of the two Pmix features. CH 2 is master, CH 3 is slave. Set one of the three switches (my choice is the one near your index finger) to active the mix (on or off). Use the third set of trims to adjust the amount of mix required. Set you ESC with a strong drag brake and off you go. Rich
MAJ Ales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 07:23 AM   #15
Rock Crawler

Another idea is the new 3PM MX can do just about everything the 3PK can. The menus are just so much easier on the 3PK.

BTW, I just bought a 4PK and am trying to sell my 3PK.
engineerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote