Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Dig freewheel and/or locked

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2009, 01:35 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Dig freewheel and/or locked

I have been reading about dig and it seems that the punkRC dig unit will either lock front or rear, but will not allow freewheel, is that correct?

Is there a dig unit or switch and servo setup for a MOA single esc that will allow you to select lock and freewheel on the rear axle?

Those 2 options seem to be the most useful to me. Lock rear for tight turns and slower decents. Free wheel rear to keep from rolling backward on inclines.

Thanks for your help.
mhuffman_81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-19-2009, 01:47 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

MOA...motor on axle...digs are a bit different than what you're thinking about. Single motor digs control the fr or rr wheels with a servo operated mechanical lock in/lock out/free wheel and change only the rear axle. MOA digs electronicly lock the front and/or the rear axles to pivot on one or the other and as far as I've seen there is no setup to freewheel the back tires on a moa.
picklewagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 01:54 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Oh ok I see. So the only disadvantage then would be going up an incline. You would have to lock the rear which would prevent it fom flipping over, but the front would have to pull it up fighting the resistance of the rears not spinning.
mhuffman_81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 07:16 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

you got it
lobi1kanobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 07:58 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhuffman_81 View Post
Oh ok I see. So the only disadvantage then would be going up an incline. You would have to lock the rear which would prevent it fom flipping over, but the front would have to pull it up fighting the resistance of the rears not spinning.
That would be with dig switches and the punk. With dual esc and a good radio (3-4pk/dx6i) ya can vary the power to the rear (or front). Better than freewheel!
oldhippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 09:48 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhuffman_81 View Post
Yup, listen to oldhippie, read his reply 3 times and think about it. It's really something to watch a driverwho can really modulate his/her rear dig, amazing things can happen that defy gravity.
picklewagon is offline   Reply With Quote