Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: two receivers?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2009, 02:26 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default two receivers?

Ok, this is probably a really dumb idea, but if you want lots of active stuff on your crawler (winch, lights etc), but you only have a 2ch/3ch radio, could you put a 2nd receiver and small receiver battery in there, dedicated to your accessories?

Then when you are just basic crawling you use the one controller, and when you want the full experience you break out the 2nd.

Any other cunning alternatives to buying an expensive 5/6ch radio? espeically as these aren't available as pistols which I prefer
mrklaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-21-2009, 07:46 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

I don't see any reason why you could'nt, but it would be a pain in the ass to use 2 tx's at the same time. That takes why to much coordination for me anyways.
456heinbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 07:48 AM   #3
RCC Addict

You are much better off getting a DX6 or similar.
renoirbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 08:19 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

but aren't all those 5/6 channel tx's dual stick type? I've seen the very impressive conversion thread, but I could never do something like that.

I'm surprised someone hasn't come out with a pistol type multi channel tx for rock crawlers/scalers.
mrklaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 08:35 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

vn1500 (Tom) was the first to build the franken radio at our club. Mine is gonna be on an M11. It's a Losi 2.4 radio with the wheel and trigger removed and replaced with momentary switches. Use a y harness for the reciever battery and tie the power wires into the main transmitter batteries. I am coating the board with liquid electrical tape.

Last edited by nitrojeff; 07-21-2009 at 08:38 AM.
nitrojeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 10:39 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrklaw View Post
but aren't all those 5/6 channel tx's dual stick type? I've seen the very impressive conversion thread, but I could never do something like that.

I'm surprised someone hasn't come out with a pistol type multi channel tx for rock crawlers/scalers.
As the builder of that conversion, 2 months ago, I'd have said exactly the same thing - "I could never do that!"

Really, it wasn't that hard. I'm no electronics genius, just a practical person who left school 35 years ago with A-level physics, and someone who builds barely passable plastic models.
I read the other Tx modification threads here and picked up some ideas, then went for it. I was learning as I did it, hence the many mistakes.

If you can use a soldering iron and an X-acto knife, you can do it.
clockworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 11:46 AM   #7
RCC Addict

There is a guys in our club that uses a modded tq3 that he hangs on his belt to turn on/off lights and run his winch, so yeah it can be done.

I was talking with a guy down at the hobby shop and we were talking about taking apart a tq3 or the new 2.4ghz tq4 and putting the whole tx into a little box with buttons/twitches on it for lights, winch, etc. that you could wear on your belt.

Maybe not as clean as just using a stick radio, but I can't drive a stick radio to save my life.
BigB_117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 01:59 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Tom's 2nd radio is in a radio shack job box that fits nice on the back of a dx3.
push buttons are on the front to the right of the steering wheel on a piece of lexan. you could put toggle switches on the top of the job box.
Old 08-18-2009, 07:17 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

just thought I'd post up and mention that these franken radios' are working great.