Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Wire source??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2009, 03:04 AM   #1

Question Wire source??

I have more than one project that I will be needing to wire up in the near future. My LSH only sells pre-packaged 2' lengths at a rather expensive price, but I am looking for much longer, possibly even spools of 12 and 14 ga. wire for batttery and motor connections. Any suggestions on source. If possible more than a few colors would be useful.

thanks
--B
Brandxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-23-2009, 03:20 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

What kind of project needs power wires longer than 2'?
Be careful when using long cables - you can blow the ESC. It's not recommended to extend the battery to ESC wires.
clockworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 03:34 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

i have heard of upgrading from 14 to 12 but what about using 12 solid instead of stranded? i can get a ton of that for practically nothing
edwalsh18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 06:37 AM   #4
On the lookout for Rocks

Check out Holmes Hobbies for all your electronic needs
constantmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 08:53 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Solid is fine for NON moving applications, stranded is what you want if the wires will be moving at all (like with articulation, or pluggin/unplugging batteries)...

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwalsh18 View Post
i have heard of upgrading from 14 to 12 but what about using 12 solid instead of stranded? i can get a ton of that for practically nothing
JasonJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 12:44 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwalsh18 View Post
Solid has higher resistance then stranded, electricity flows on top of the wire not thru it.
Joat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 12:57 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joat View Post
Solid has higher resistance then stranded, electricity flows on top of the wire not thru it.
I thought that the "skin effect" only applied at high frequencies? Or are you talking about something else?
Old 07-23-2009, 01:21 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by clockworks View Post
I thought that the "skin effect" only applied at high frequencies? Or are you talking about something else?
I thought applied period? I know if you wired a house with stranded it would be more efficent due to the lower resistance, though it would cost you big time
Joat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 01:27 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Mcmaster Carr has a selection of high flex, high temp, but clear or some black jackets.

Single Conductor (page)
http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/115/784/=2vggna

Multi-conductor page, but only as big as 16ga.
Someone at work said the jacket on this is so flexible that it's almost gummy and difficult to strip ends on.
http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/115/788/=2vgj6y
sweli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 01:34 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Wire is wire is wire, it only flows on top of the strands sorry. Not here that is like saying you should only use Monster cable in your home and car audio.

As long as the wire is of the right gauge for the use any will work. The only real difference is the more strands the more it can bend.

There are very few time when the skin effect will really come into play with what we do.

Last edited by Dragon51; 07-23-2009 at 01:44 PM.
Dragon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 01:35 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joat View Post
I thought applied period? I know if you wired a house with stranded it would be more efficent due to the lower resistance, though it would cost you big time
According to Wiki, skin effect is dependent on frequency. At 60Hz the "skin depth" is around 8mm (third of an inch). At 10KHz, it's around 30 thou.

So it wouldn't matter if the battery wires were solid, but it'd make a difference for the ESC to motor wires, since ESCs generally switch at around 2KHz, IIRC.

BTW, many older houses in the UK were wired with stranded cable - 5 or 7 strand, I think. All modern cable is solid.
Old 07-24-2009, 03:01 AM   #12

Thumbs up

thanks guys for the info. to answer one question, the wire I need isn't just for one project. I have around 10 different R/C's that need wire in some way or another, mostly being either motor wires or battery wires. I just figured it would be more cost effective to buy on a spool, rather than the little lengths at the LHS.

thanks again
--B
Brandxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 03:12 AM   #13
Rock Stacker

Ha! solid it is! i get it for free. green, red, white, and black... free. we use it at work and what we cut off we throw away. so i will just consider it recycling. i am trying to be greener these days.
edwalsh18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 04:40 AM   #14

Refer to wire specs required for any given amperage. Solid wire requires a smaller gauge than the same for stranded. Example, a 15A circuit calling for 14AWG solid copper will require larger 12AWG copper stranded. Never use solid core wire in any application where the wire or connection is expected to flex in any way during its life. Wire is cheap, you don't need to buy some hobby store specific wire, just go to your local hardware store and you can buy 14 gauge or AWG stranded copper wire for pennies by the foot. Your not moving RF or data on the wires, but still for this application stranded is superior, free or 50 cents, spend the 50 cents and use stranded.
Ampdraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 10:48 AM   #15
Rock Crawler

ebay
jamesdicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 10:58 AM   #16
Rock Crawler

Silicon jacketed speaker wire from Radio Shack, either on-line ordering or check the stores.

Comes in many colors and is very flexiable and some is even sheilded for RF interference which IS common in our hobby.

Novak wire is very expensive in 25' spools but is available. RS will be 1/4 the price and you can even write your name on the wire with a sharpie!
jrkilburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 10:59 AM   #17
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Ebay, hardware stores, home audio stuff, and RC stores are all good places. The stuff I carry is more flexible than home audio, the jacket is thinner, and it is more puncture resistant than normal wet noodle style jackets.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 11:07 AM   #18
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
Ebay, hardware stores, home audio stuff, and RC stores are all good places. The stuff I carry is more flexible than home audio, the jacket is thinner, and it is more puncture resistant than normal wet noodle style jackets.
John do you expect to get any more of the 13ga castle Creations wire in anytime soon?

I really like that wire and I need some more for my scaler project.
BigB_117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 12:35 PM   #19
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

I have plenty, inventory updated
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 03:55 PM   #20
RCC Addict

Sweet. Thanks John. order coming your way soon.
BigB_117 is offline   Reply With Quote