Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: DX6i batteries???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2009, 10:00 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Question DX6i batteries???

I recently purchased a Spektrum DX6i. I just got everything installed in my truck and have been testing it in the house. Last night it started giving me the low battery beep beep beep.:-( I have not used it much at all. I had the spektrum batteries in it that come with the radio. I replaced them with some duracell batteries.

Is this normal? What kind of batteries are you guys using to get the most run time out of this radio and how long do yours usually last?

I know there is a voltage regulator mod you can do but I don't want to tear into this radio just yet.

Thanks,

Brandon
nodnarb81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-23-2009, 10:02 AM   #2
On the lookout for Rocks

I am using the Spektrum batteries in mine. You probably didn't charge them up when you put them in. They will last a pretty long time. Several 1hr outings on a charge. The stock batteries ARE rechargeable with the included charger.
constantmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 10:06 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

I think that the regulator mod only applies to the DX6, not the DX6i.

I'm using rechargeables in my DX6i - the so-called "new generation" NiMH. Mine are branded "Instant", but I think that some big-name brands are sold in the USA. They don't self-discharge like normal NiMH.

Mine have been fitted for a couple of months now, probably 20 hours of up-time. The display shows 5.1v now, so they should be good for another 10 hours.

constantmotion: my DX6i came with ordinary alkaline batteries and no charger
clockworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 10:17 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by clockworks View Post
I think that the regulator mod only applies to the DX6, not the DX6i.

I'm using rechargeables in my DX6i - the so-called "new generation" NiMH. Mine are branded "Instant", but I think that some big-name brands are sold in the USA. They don't self-discharge like normal NiMH.

Mine have been fitted for a couple of months now, probably 20 hours of up-time. The display shows 5.1v now, so they should be good for another 10 hours.

constantmotion: my DX6i came with ordinary alkaline batteries and no charger
Wow! Any more info/pics on these batteries? Like you said they will probably be different in USA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by constantmotion View Post
I am using the Spektrum batteries in mine. You probably didn't charge them up when you put them in. They will last a pretty long time. Several 1hr outings on a charge. The stock batteries ARE rechargeable with the included charger.
Yeah I don't think I charged it when I got it and it has been setting for a couple of weeks. Guess I should have tried that first.

Thanks for the quick replies guys. I have a 2 day comp this weekend and want to make sure I have enough batteries.
nodnarb81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 10:25 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

A link for a UK eBay seller: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/AA-4-x-NiMh-Re...3A1%7C294%3A30

I've got several sets of these for use in both my Txs and my DSLR camera.
I'm particularly impressed with them in the camera. A fresh set of Duracells may be good for a couple of weeks and 50 shots. The "instants" have been in my camera for a couple of months now - still showing "full" on the battery indicator.
By contrast, the last time I tried 2500mAH NiMH cells, they went totally flat after a couple of weeks lying idle.
clockworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 10:37 AM   #6
Just jump it!

I use the energizer 2500 mah rechargeables. I just got back home after being gone 43 days and they still show 5.2 volts.
I charge them about every 3 months.
I use my dx6 almost daily for the 28 days i am home, ( flight simulator, copters, airplane, crawlers, and now my slash). I usally dont have to charge them till right before i leave.
rottenbelly is offline   Reply With Quote