Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Modern radio/reciever suggestions?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2009, 07:22 PM   #1

Question Modern radio/reciever suggestions?

parting back together my collection of R/C's and finding i have a lack of radio gear. what little i do have is so old I'm not even sure it will power up.

Have been glancing at newer radio systems, but honestly I am lost for what i should be looking for. Want something thats just as good for my bashers as it is for my comp. vehicles AND still economical. Thought I saw where I could one radio with more than one vehicle, is this possible?? Ideally I would love to have maybe 2-3 hand-helds running my collection, 10+ vehicles currently.

thanks for the help
--B
Brandxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-25-2009, 07:30 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandxman View Post
Thought I saw where I could one radio with more than one vehicle, is this possible?? Ideally I would love to have maybe 2-3 hand-helds running my collection, 10+ vehicles currently.

thanks for the help
--B
Yes. You can purchase multiple Rx's and run them with one Tx. Some Tx's have model memories for different settings on different models which would be good for your situation. I would recommend a Futaba 2.4 GHz system. They can be somewhat affordable used. Hope that helps a little...
ohmyCLOD! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 07:36 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohmyCLOD! View Post
Yes. You can purchase multiple Rx's and run them with one Tx. Some Tx's have model memories for different settings on different models which would be good for your situation. I would recommend a Futaba 2.4 GHz system. They can be somewhat affordable used. Hope that helps a little...
2.4 Ghz rules. I have one DX2i that I run 4 different on-road cars with. Once you link an Rx with the Tx, its all good. Just turn on the Tx, then turn on whichever car I want to drive and go. I'd run my crawlers with it too if it were 3 channel. Plus the 2.4 Ghz Rx antennas are only 5 or 6 inches long, which makes them very easy to hide.

I'm saving for a Futaba 4PK myself. Read through Harleys write-up on it, and you'll want one too. Very, very versatile...
Big Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 07:57 PM   #4
RCC Addict

There are lots of good radios on the market. I'd say you should get something with at least 3 channels, the third channel needs to have at least 3 selectable positions and you should get something with end point adjustments. Digital servos will burn up without proper EPA settings. I'd also advise 2.4ghz, they work pretty damn well. For your non crawling needs, dual rates and ABS are pretty nice but not essential.

The futaba 4PK is hands down the nicest radio on the market. It's price reflects this

The 3PK is almost as nice as the 4PK and is somewhat cheaper.

The current 3PM is a pretty nice radio, but you have to do some fairly awkward things to get a 3 position 3rd channel. Otherwise it's great. They'll be coming out with a new 3PM variant pretty soon which has more useful crawling features. I'm sure it's gonna be a great entry level crawling radio.

The spektrum DX3R is a nice radio also. It's very comfortable and light, has a good 3 position 3rd channel among other things. Hard to go wrong there. Spektrum also makes the DX3.0 and the DX3S, but neither has a 3 position third channel.

The KO Propo EX-5 UR has up to 5 third channel positions, comes with 2 receivers and is very reasonably priced. I've never actually seen one, but KO makes good stuff.

KO also makes the EX-1 UR, which is a 4 channel radio. It has no mixing, so you won't be able to run dual ESC's with it, but it's pretty nice otherwise. Up to 5 third and fourth channel positions.

If you're comfortable with buying used, look into the JR R-1, Futaba 3PJ or Spektrum DX3 (not 3.0) all are nice radios, the DX3 requires some modification for the 3rd channel switch. The R-1 and 3PJ are module radios and can be fitted with 2.4ghz modules.
chrisjlittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 08:31 PM   #5
www.team3sixrc.com

I used to be alot like that and have several stocker radios. You ask for an econimical radio that will work for you and you honestly cant go wrong just going 2.4gHz and get say a spektrum DX3R which if I am correct will hold more than 10 setup's. You can easily switch out your reciever if you dont want to have several. and in the mong run it will be nothing less than the best purchase you have ever made. I myself have a DX3S but i find that I should of gone to the 3R for the use of the 3 position 3rd channel. No biggy for me as I make due. But over all I am happy
team3six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 09:43 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

My son has a 3PK-S that I would recommend for what you are wanting to do. It is kind of pricey (to me at least), but the best feature is the interchangeable transmitter 'modules' He can swap from his FAAST module to a FM module and use his trans with any of my (old school) receivers. It can even run spectrum receivers with another module. This TX can do just about everything you need, but wipe your...... there might even be a module for that too.

My radio is an older Magnum 2PL (75Mhz) that has a 10 model memory. It works ok for me, but I would rather have a 2.4Ghz radio so I don't worry about stepping on somebody else on the same freq.
rex cars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 02:55 PM   #7

Thumbs up

thanks for the suggestions, only a few days till pay day and its already burning a hole in my pocket!
Old 07-27-2009, 03:59 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Default Radio

Brandxman,
PM Sent
nsg1rc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 05:10 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Do you want a pistol or twin stick? I prefer a pistol grip for racing, but I've come to really like a twin stick for crawling.

The DX6i is a 6 channel 2.4ghz that can be had for about $150 with 1 receiver. Additional receivers can be had new for $50 each ($30 -$40 cheaper than other radios). You'll need ot send the radio back to Horizon to have a return spring put on the left stick, but they'll do it for the cost of shipping. ...and you get a ton of channels which come in handy for scalers.

Otherwise, I'm a big fan of the DX3r.
EvilTwin v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 05:52 PM   #10

ok got a little to think about here. one more question for ya. I use to mix and match brand names for Tx and Rx as long as they were the same type and had the same cryatal in them all was good. Is this still possible with the Futaba FASST systems? or is it their 2.4 only??
Old 07-30-2009, 05:59 PM   #11
www.team3sixrc.com

Just 2.4, You cant do the crystals in the 2.4's another route you m ight want if you dont want to spend a whole lot is check out this. RC4WD's radio has been highly praised.
they have 2 different radios, but I hear they are really nice.
http://www.rc4wdstore.com/2/product_...roducts_id=615
http://www.rc4wdstore.com/2/product_...roducts_id=616
team3six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 07:29 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandxman View Post
ok got a little to think about here. one more question for ya. I use to mix and match brand names for Tx and Rx as long as they were the same type and had the same cryatal in them all was good. Is this still possible with the Futaba FASST systems? or is it their 2.4 only??
the fasst systems are receiver specific. The 3pk uses transmitter modules that you can switch from fasst 2.4, spectrem 2.4 and fm. You need to buy separate modules for each frequency type and they aren't cheap but it will do what ya are asking.
oldhippie is offline   Reply With Quote