Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Lipo is it a gonner ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2009, 07:11 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Lipo is it a gonner ?

Trying to charge my TP2250 3s 30c and the Hyperion charger starts charging voltage reaches 10voltss in about 45 seconds then an alarm sounds and says " Balancer voltage too low "

What is going on is the lipo dead ?:-(

where do I find a inexpensive replacement ? need for my berg
toy4crawlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-28-2009, 07:13 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

put the lipo on a regular nimh charger. It will boost the cells back up to regular, but keep a volt meter on it at all times and watch it. it should only take a few secconds.
eron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 07:14 PM   #3
MODERHATER™

Try charging it as a nimh for a bit to get the voltage above 10 then switch it to lipo settings.

!!!!USE CAUTION!!!!
666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 07:16 PM   #4
TEAM MODERATOR

I've gotten that a few times with mine. I left it on the "lipo" battery profile,just unplugged the balance plug. Let it charge for a few seconds,just to boost the voltage up a touch. Then plug the balance plug in again.
Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 09:12 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

sweet thanks , I'll give it a try

post back what happens
Old 07-28-2009, 09:29 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

batt at 8.5 volts
Hyperion chargr on lipo charge, I waited till it got to 11.4 volts with balancer disconnected wich only takes about 65 seconds
stopped charge then reconnect and the alarm goes off again without even starting the charge.

I should mention there is a very small bulge in on corner it's about 1mm thicker than the rest of the pack, it's bulge up at angle so about size of pinky fingernail

what now ?

thank you guys
glad there is some kind of support even though hyperion is not there,.
Old 07-28-2009, 10:07 PM   #7
www.team3sixrc.com

I would Just purchase a new battery, its not worth the effort in my opinion.

How to properly dispose of a LiPo battery
Unlike NiCd batteries, LiPo batteries are environmentally friendly. For safety reasons, it’s best that LiPo cells be fully discharged before disposal (however, if a pack or cell is physically damaged, it is NOT recommended to discharge LiPo cells before disposal – see below for details). The batteries must also be cool before proceeding with disposal instructions.
To dispose of LiPo cells and packs:

1. If the case is cracked or shows signs that any LiPo cell in the pack has been physically damaged, resulting in a swollen cell or a split or tear in a cell’s foil covering, do NOT discharge the battery. Jump to step 5.
2. Place the LiPo battery in a fireproof container or bucket of sand.
3. Connect the battery to a LiPo discharger. Set the discharge cutoff voltage to the lowest possible value. Set the discharge current to a C/10 value, with “C” being the capacity rating of the pack. For example, the “1C” rating for a 1200mAh battery is 1.2A, and that battery’s C/10 current value is (1.2A / 10) 0.12A or 120mA. Or, a simple resistive type of discharge load can be used, such as a power resistor or set of light bulbs
as long as the discharge current doesn’t exceed the C/10 value and cause an overheating condition. For LiPo packs rated at 7.4V and 11.1V, connect a 150 ohm resistor with a power rating of 2 watts (commonly found at Radio Shack) to the pack’s positive and negative terminals to safely discharge the battery. It’s also possible to discharge the battery by connecting it to an ESC/motor system and allowing the motor to run indefinitely until no power remains to further cause the system to function.
4. Discharge the battery until its voltage reaches 1.0V per cell or lower. For resistive load type discharges, discharge the battery for up to 24 hours.
5. Submerse the battery into bucket or tub of salt water. This container should have a lid, but it does not need to be airtight. Prepare a bucket or tub containing 3 to 5 gallons of cold water, and mix in 1/2 cup of salt per gallon of water. Drop the battery into the
salt water. Allow the battery to remain in the tub of salt water for at least 2 weeks.

6. Remove the LiPo battery from the salt water and place it in the normal trash.
team3six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 10:17 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

not that easy for me. I was laid off from my job, so things are tight, Never been jobless before and I'm in the worst area of the nation at almost 12% unemployment.
been selling things just to have some extra cash and not feel guilty of buying non needed things.

I'm selling Forward Twin sticks for Toyotas with Dual cases if anyone is interested.

Lipo is doing well so far , 3 minutes 11.5 volts no alarm
Old 07-28-2009, 10:25 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

buy lipos from ecpower.com.hk they are cheap 2 threecell lipos 1500 mah for only 20 dollars free shipping
dunerdude69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 10:38 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Sounds like you discharged that lipo too much, went below what a 3s should be and the alarm was trying to be "safe".

Check the individual cell voltages, if they are all nominal then it was just an over discharge. Smell the pack as well... does it smell like tooty fruity (I'm serious) ... if it smells fruity, its venting/leaking, and its now dangerous.

Keep an eye on it while its charging, keep aware of the voltages etc. If it charges fine, leave it to rest for a bit and then measure each cell. If they are holding voltage, you're probably OK. Keep an eye on it for a while, store it in something to contain any venting if it does decide to let go overnight or whatever...

Just gotta keep "aware" of lipos once you've gone outside of the accepted practices/voltages etc...
JasonJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 11:07 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

thanks Jason

it was charging , alarm went off again, voltage dropping down from 12.2, to 10. - and still dropping but slowly . no smell.
How do you check each voltage on a Hyp0606i ?

each time I reconnect the alarm goes off
Old 07-28-2009, 11:13 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

at the balancing plug you can check with a meter. black is - other wires are + at least on all the ones I have done. sounds like a dead cell..
sloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 11:48 PM   #13
www.team3sixrc.com

I agree with the dead cell issue. anyways, toy4crawling, I sent you a P.M. and I hope that helps you out. trying to find away to make it easier for ya. please P.M. me if you have a question at all.
Old 07-29-2009, 12:44 PM   #14
TN State Champ 11,12,13

Like reflection said...just unplug the balancer. This happened to me a few times. Let it charge all the way without the balancer. You really only need to balance every 3rd of 4th charge anyway.
Pdog7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 01:01 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

if you do have a bad cell you can always remove that cell from the pack and rebuild it as a 2s pack. At least you would have a usable pack that way instead of trashing the whole thing.
bigflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 06:10 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Does not look good

it turns out I have starting at end of plug
8.4 volts
.230 volts closets to ground lead
so that is pretty bad since the 2nd cell is 4.4 i dont know if that can be revived

what u think ?

any advice, is it tricky on removing the 3rd cell ? or pretty straight forward
Old 07-29-2009, 11:13 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by toy4crawlin View Post
Does not look good

it turns out I have starting at end of plug
8.4 volts
.230 volts closets to ground lead
so that is pretty bad since the 2nd cell is 4.4 i dont know if that can be revived

what u think ?

any advice, is it tricky on removing the 3rd cell ? or pretty straight forward
I think if you readings are right you should get that time bomb out of the house.. that first cell is way over charged that is all bad.. and the last cell is toast to..

take it outside far from anything that can catch fire and shoot guns at it..

J/K well about the gun part.. get rid of that thing man..
sloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 12:20 AM   #18
Rock Crawler

great info here guys ...thanks...learned some new stuff
TIMZKRAWLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 04:00 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by team3six View Post
I would Just purchase a new battery, its not worth the effort in my opinion.

How to properly dispose of a LiPo battery
Unlike NiCd batteries, LiPo batteries are environmentally friendly. For safety reasons, it’s best that LiPo cells be fully discharged before disposal (however, if a pack or cell is physically damaged, it is NOT recommended to discharge LiPo cells before disposal – see below for details). The batteries must also be cool before proceeding with disposal instructions.
To dispose of LiPo cells and packs:
1. If the case is cracked or shows signs that any LiPo cell in the pack has been physically damaged, resulting in a swollen cell or a split or tear in a cell’s foil covering, do NOT discharge the battery. Jump to step 5.
2. Place the LiPo battery in a fireproof container or bucket of sand.

3. Connect the battery to a LiPo discharger. Set the discharge cutoff voltage to the lowest possible value. Set the discharge current to a C/10 value, with “C” being the capacity rating of the pack. For example, the “1C” rating for a 1200mAh battery is 1.2A, and that battery’s C/10 current value is (1.2A / 10) 0.12A or 120mA. Or, a simple resistive type of discharge load can be used, such as a power resistor or set of light bulbs
as long as the discharge current doesn’t exceed the C/10 value and cause an overheating condition. For LiPo packs rated at 7.4V and 11.1V, connect a 150 ohm resistor with a power rating of 2 watts (commonly found at Radio Shack) to the pack’s positive and negative terminals to safely discharge the battery. It’s also possible to discharge the battery by connecting it to an ESC/motor system and allowing the motor to run indefinitely until no power remains to further cause the system to function.
4. Discharge the battery until its voltage reaches 1.0V per cell or lower. For resistive load type discharges, discharge the battery for up to 24 hours.
5. Submerse the battery into bucket or tub of salt water. This container should have a lid, but it does not need to be airtight. Prepare a bucket or tub containing 3 to 5 gallons of cold water, and mix in 1/2 cup of salt per gallon of water. Drop the battery into the

salt water. Allow the battery to remain in the tub of salt water for at least 2 weeks.
6. Remove the LiPo battery from the salt water and place it in the normal trash.
If this was all too much to read or do then just skip to step 7, throw it in the trash and forget about steps 1-6.

Ampdraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 09:24 AM   #20
www.team3sixrc.com

well let me tell ya about step 7. which might not apply to everyone.
I live in the middle on montana where believe it or not, during most of the year we dont get a whole hell of alot of rain. generally just after the spring it stays green for about a couple of weeks and then everything starts to dry out. there are alot of volenteer firemen for just that reason. Even though the dump site is away from town, it still resides in an area where there are high winds and lots of brush. Now like I said that most of the time this wont apply to everyone, but I am sure that most dumpsites across the country have flamable items. Anyways. last year it turns out that there was a small fire at the dump site, That small fire caught on a bunch of paper and plastic which blew in the wind, the wind carried that stuff to nearby grassy lands and caught on fire making it a bigger fire. which if anyone knows about grass that is dryed out seems to go up and flame faster than 2 rabbits humping. That fire caught up to 22 acres of land on fire, burning land around peoples homes, burning up peoples homes, pretty much causing devestation. later on it was determined during an investigation that a lipoly battery blew up in the heat of the sun (which they are guessing) and started a bunch of newpaper on fire that caught on some more stuff on fire which later on ended in millions of dallars of land and homes being destroyed. Long story short. Sure its easy to just throw it out in the trash, but what happens if your battery is the lucky winner of doing the same or worse? sure it might not dirrectly effect you. But all that because you couldnt stick your battery in a gallon of water mixed with salt sitting in the back yard or behind your garage. besides most hobby shops nowaday will dispose of your lipo for free of charge.