Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: What are good 380 size motors

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2009, 03:29 PM   #1

Default What are good 380 size motors

My friend just bought a redcat 1/10 crawler and in 4 battery charges he has broke both servos, (we stole some of a old t maxx and fixed that) and burnt the rear motor. What would be some good replacement motors for this truck. Maybe a duel motor esc too. He would like fairly cheap parts cause its a cheep truck and don't want to sink a bunch of money in it. If you guys could recomend a good web site too that would be great. I looked on tcs but dident see any 380 sized motors.
sackamous is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-02-2009, 03:32 PM   #2
MODERATOR™

http://holmeshobbies.com/home.php?cat=17

454 and 500

Awesome.
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 04:41 PM   #3

Good looking motors, but that would be 80 bucks for the two of them. I think he only gave 140 for the hole truck new ready to go with shipping. Can you recomend somthing cheaper?
Old 08-02-2009, 06:49 PM   #4
RCC Addict

BaneBot Robot motors are what we found was the best/cheap alternative in the Duratrax Cliffclimber

http://banebots.com/pc/MOTOR-BRUSH/M5-RS390-12

Read through this post to see what was trialed
Is this a crawler motor for the C.C. ?
sweli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 08:41 PM   #5

I read that hole thread and im lost, thoes banebots motors you have to run them on 14.4??? That is the CC, this is a 2.2 (i think) with 380 motors. He thought it was the battery was too week, after reading that thread I realised the stock motors are just crap. On a loose dirt hill not even really steep it would spin the front tires and the back would just kinda sit there wanting to spin. They dident really do to much of nothing though. After about 4 packs the back motor started smoking really bad and that was that. This is the truck he has if it helps http://www.redcatracing.com/RC-Cars/...-Scale-Crawler Think it would be a lot of trouble to just up grade them to a 540 sized motor???
Old 08-03-2009, 10:09 AM   #6
RCC Addict

Your thread is asking about 380 motors, but the publications show Redcat using 540 motors.? Which are yours?

If they are 540 motors, then go with some budget Integy's or other 540 50/60/70T.
You have what is called 'clod stall'. Search for "Stall" in the titles only and it will bring up descriptions and fixes.
Easiest fix is changing out one motor pinon. Find out what pinion size and pitch the truck runs. Run a smaller pinion on the rear or a larger one on the front, then the stock.
This spins your front a little faster, but helps the back keep current flowing when the fronts come unloaded and start to spin.
Other fixes are dual ESCs with dual batt packs.
Manual for that shows optional pinions RCL-HO19.
Get those, and try one in rear only. I think you are jumping down 2 teeth, so it may be too much, but worth a cheap fix trial.

Not sure 380s would move that beast.
Old 08-03-2009, 04:56 PM   #7

Its 380s according to the manual, the 1/8 red cat has 540 motors the 1/10 or rs10 as they call it is what he has. I just got in my novac crawler 55t combo for my ax10. I might run over there and see if it would be possible to swap to larger motors.
Old 08-03-2009, 06:46 PM   #8
RCC Addict

yep, the rs10 has the 380 sized motors. there have been a few good threads pertaining to the rs10 with some ideas for modding them.

Redcat Racing RS10 [Ongoing] Review

Another RedCat RS10

search "rs10" and you can find others also.

hope this helps
jsowens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 02:33 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sackamous View Post
I read that hole thread and im lost, thoes banebots motors you have to run them on 14.4??? That is the CC, this is a 2.2 (i think) with 380 motors. He thought it was the battery was too week, after reading that thread I realised the stock motors are just crap.
The Banebot motors are good up to 20v I think. They run great at 14.4. I am running mine at 12v with decent power on the CC sized rig.

Quote:
On a loose dirt hill not even really steep it would spin the front tires and the back would just kinda sit there wanting to spin.
That is the Clod Stall mentioned.
Put a 1 tooth larger pinion on the front motor, or a 1 tooth smaller on the rear motor.
Old 08-07-2009, 05:49 PM   #10

Will the banebot motors work good on 7.2 or a regular battery??? Do they take any modifications to make work?
Old 08-07-2009, 05:55 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

His best option as others have mentioned would be to volt up, this would greatly reduce clod stall seeing as how you will be feeding the motors more power.

Cheap fixes are only going to last soo long, he bought a bottom of the line hobby grade crawler (not trying to be rude) so the mind thought of having to upgrade it should have been there.
ScalerLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 06:34 PM   #12

Yea your not being rude lol I point that out to him all the time. Would the stock esc handle that kind of voltage. Would he be better off with the banebot motors and more voltage (what esc/battery), or the Cobalt 454s on 7.2 . Price is his main issue considering he is on unemployment at the moment. Some one said on another thread solder all the yellow wires together (esc and motor) same with the blue. Then drop two pinion teeth (thats the only option pinions they have). Would that help with the stock motors ?
Old 08-07-2009, 09:59 PM   #13
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweli View Post
Y
Easiest fix is changing out one motor pinon. Find out what pinion size and pitch the truck runs. Run a smaller pinion on the rear or a larger one on the front, then the stock.
This spins your front a little faster, but helps the back keep current flowing when the fronts come unloaded and start to spin.
Other fixes are dual ESCs with dual batt packs.
Manual for that shows optional pinions RCL-HO19.
Get those (yellow), and try one in rear only. I think you are jumping down 2 teeth, so it may be too much, but worth a cheap fix trial..
$6.99 + ship

Get the battery out of the chassis and mount it on the front axle.
Try it out with some zip ties and see if ti helps. If it does, fab something to better mount it there.

Looks like the stock batteries are AA size packs.
Get some used 2/3A packs from classifieds on here or used from Ebay.

Could try volting up by one cell. Would not do more then that on the stock ESC.

Are the wheels, beadlocks? Take the fronts apart and wrap lead stick on weights (hobby store $5- around each wheel inner, under the foam.
If you don't want to take them appart, stick them on the inside of the wheel (near the hubs).

Better tires will help a lot too! Lots of used Panthers in the classifieds for $20. Blue Claws also.
Old 08-08-2009, 05:55 AM   #14

Are these 2/3A packs? They are what im running in my new axial artr. http://www.tcscrawlers.com/TCS-Crawl...r-p-16925.html I know his factory battery last about 8 min and mine will easily last 3 times that and my battery is tiny compared to that brick mounted in his truck.

I am confused on this one, why would better tires help? Wouldent more traction make it stall worse? Please dont get agravated at my stupiedness we are both new to this. In fact my old lady seen a losi mini crawler at the hobby store and thought it was cute. So I bought it for her and we started playing around with it, and a couple days later we both had bigger trucks on the way. I got the Axial artr and he got the rs10 rockslide. After seeing mine he wish he got the rtr axial. I found this site trying to decide what I wanted to order. So we dont know much about these things. Both were running nitro 1/12 stadiem trucks befor this.

I put weights in the mini and it helped, with the batteries on the front of the axial artr I can handle way steeper stuff with out weights then the losi could dreem of. So I gave him what I had left so he has weights on the front and I think a few on the back of the rs10 right now.

He has the pinions on back order I think already. Wouldent just putting one in the back make it want to bind the front up cause it would always be trying to drag the back. Why not just gear um both down (the front motor is burn too now by the way said it started smoking driving around on the kitchen floor last night)? He had his sons traxxas 3300 7cell batt straped to it. So now we not sure if it was 7 is too much or my opinion is the truck is just JUNK. What you think?
Old 08-08-2009, 12:27 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Are these 2/3A packs? They are what im running in my new axial artr. http://www.tcscrawlers.com/TCS-Crawl...r-p-16925.html I know his factory battery last about 8 min and mine will easily last 3 times that and my battery is tiny compared to that brick mounted in his truck.

I am confused on this one, why would better tires help? Wouldent more traction make it stall worse? Please dont get agravated at my stupiedness we are both new to this. In fact my old lady seen a losi mini crawler at the hobby store and thought it was cute. So I bought it for her and we started playing around with it, and a couple days later we both had bigger trucks on the way. I got the Axial artr and he got the rs10 rockslide. After seeing mine he wish he got the rtr axial. I found this site trying to decide what I wanted to order. So we dont know much about these things. Both were running nitro 1/12 stadiem trucks befor this.

I put weights in the mini and it helped, with the batteries on the front of the axial artr I can handle way steeper stuff with out weights then the losi could dreem of. So I gave him what I had left so he has weights on the front and I think a few on the back of the rs10 right now.

He has the pinions on back order I think already. Wouldent just putting one in the back make it want to bind the front up cause it would always be trying to drag the back. Why not just gear um both down (the front motor is burn too now by the way said it started smoking driving around on the kitchen floor last night)? He had his sons traxxas 3300 7cell batt straped to it. So now we not sure if it was 7 is too much or my opinion is the truck is just JUNK. What you think?
Not to be rude but the RS10 is like a step above walmart stuff, but a step below REAL hobby grade R/c's (Traxxas, AE, Axial, HPI, etc)

Live & learn I've been there! Your buddy should try to pick up a used AX10 or maybe even a WK.-(pref. AX10) just dont buy a Cliff Climber, youll be in the same spot as with the redcat rs10:-(-(Ive got a C.C.)

That being said I just burned up a 12t Titan on my stampede running a 7cell 3300 Traxxas pack-They seem like good packs for the $$- but not the best for crawling-because they are standard sub-c sized.
R/CMaxximus5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 10:49 AM   #16
RCC Addict

Quote:

I am confused on this one, why would better tires help? Wouldent more traction make it stall worse?
Yes, those are 2/3A cells.

I meant better tires combined with weight on the front would keep them from breaking loose as much so power (amps) would stay evenly distributed.
Old 08-12-2009, 02:52 AM   #17

Thanks for all the info guys. I think I talked him into ordering the holmes 454s. These should be a direct bolt up huh. Shaft size and pinion fit should be the same huh.
Old 09-10-2009, 04:52 PM   #18
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Thanks for all the info guys. I think I talked him into ordering the holmes 454s. These should be a direct bolt up huh. Shaft size and pinion fit should be the same huh.
I have the same Redcat how did you friend like the 454 did they bold up like he thought they would?
Has anyone thought of using some ebay specials like
this traxxas titan
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

or

or tamiya
newtoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 05:02 PM   #19
Who's your Daddy-0!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EeePee View Post
X1000!!!! You get what you pay for with motors! You want the best motors, go with Holmes Hobbies
TattooKenny is offline   Reply With Quote