Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Axial RTC electronics problem.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2009, 10:28 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Axial RTC electronics problem.

I bought an axial RTC, plugged the battery in and the throttle trim was so out of wack that I couldnt adjust it to where it would stop going without the throttle. I reversed the throttle switch and that stopped it, but my throttle was backward... I switched the motor wires around and then it worked ok. But it is still very glitchy, I tried a different transmitter, and it was no better... is my speed control jacked? anybody else have this problem?
leftcoastminis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-02-2009, 10:33 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

are your reciever and esc real close? if the are move them apart and see if that helps.
rockmahala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 10:48 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockmahala View Post
are your reciever and esc real close? if the are move them apart and see if that helps.
stock location, I'll give that a try
leftcoastminis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 01:25 AM   #4

I am having some ESC (stock) problems with my RTC which comes with a 55T motor (stock). Recently installed a 3racing dig unit which requires reversing the motor & transmission mount. Ensured that there was no binding in the dig servo. There is also no binding on the transmission and shafts. The rig would run fine for a period of 5 minutes. Then the ESC would get really hot and shut down.
Got rid of the cable tie which was holding the esc down and placed the esc on its side to expose more surface area for improved cooling. Now the rig lasts about 10-15 minutes. The ESC still gets really hot and still shuts down.

What could be the cause? Note that the motor (which was mounted in reverse to fit dig unit) sits much closer to the ESC now. And the ESC sits right next to the receiver. Could any of these be a possible problem?

Appreciate your response guys.

p.s. Rock crawling is a realatively new sport here in Malaysia. Hence not much support in terms of advice and hardware. Heck, I bet most of you havent even heard of this country:-P
wjong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 01:36 AM   #5

To the OP - my kid's RTR did this. It was all in the startup sequence. My kid was holding the trigger before the ESC beeped. Try centering the throttle adjustment, and then turn on the tx. Without touching the trigger, turn on the rx and wait for beeps before touching anything else.

wjong - I would guess that you have a proximity issue and things are overheating - if you had no troubles before the modifications.

Try separating the esc and motor to see what happens. If this fixes it, you might consider moving the ESC to a lower and further away spot (like on a plate that's mounted to the links).
Sparky2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 07:30 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjong View Post
I am having some ESC (stock) problems with my RTC which comes with a 55T motor (stock). Recently installed a 3racing dig unit which requires reversing the motor & transmission mount. Ensured that there was no binding in the dig servo. There is also no binding on the transmission and shafts. The rig would run fine for a period of 5 minutes. Then the ESC would get really hot and shut down.
Got rid of the cable tie which was holding the esc down and placed the esc on its side to expose more surface area for improved cooling. Now the rig lasts about 10-15 minutes. The ESC still gets really hot and still shuts down.

What could be the cause? Note that the motor (which was mounted in reverse to fit dig unit) sits much closer to the ESC now. And the ESC sits right next to the receiver. Could any of these be a possible problem?

Appreciate your response guys.

p.s. Rock crawling is a realatively new sport here in Malaysia. Hence not much support in terms of advice and hardware. Heck, I bet most of you havent even heard of this country:-P
your over heating issue is more than likely due to having 2 servo's being powered by the ecs's internal BEC. You need to buy and install an external BEC to power the servo's. When you do this the new bec will plug into the battery port on the receiver and the power wires for it need to be soldered into the plug for the battery connection. You will also need to remove the red wire on the receiver plug for the esc.
bigflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 06:43 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigflex View Post
your over heating issue is more than likely due to having 2 servo's being powered by the ecs's internal BEC. You need to buy and install an external BEC to power the servo's. When you do this the new bec will plug into the battery port on the receiver and the power wires for it need to be soldered into the plug for the battery connection. You will also need to remove the red wire on the receiver plug for the esc.
Thank you for the sound advice BigFlex.
I ordered a Novak Rooster Crawler from ebay a week ago. The item should be arriving anytime now. I believe the esc comes with a built-in BEC. Hence, I'll just shelf the rig for a few days till the Rooster Crawler arrives.
wjong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 02:34 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

what sparky said. my bro has an rtr and i have the rtc and they both freak out if you turn the rig on before the controller or if you do anything with the controller before the rig beeps. turn on your controller and set it down, then turn on your rig and wait for the beeps
PineapplAssasin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 03:02 PM   #9
Hateraide

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjong View Post
Thank you for the sound advice BigFlex.
I ordered a Novak Rooster Crawler from ebay a week ago. The item should be arriving anytime now. I believe the esc comes with a built-in BEC. Hence, I'll just shelf the rig for a few days till the Rooster Crawler arrives.

you should still order yourself or buy a castle bec you cant go wrong buying one it will save you ever having a problem
Code454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 03:22 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

novak roosters dont go well with cc bec's >_< they glitch heavly the internal bec is ok if ur just playing around and havign fun if your wanting to do comps look into a cc sidewinder/mamba max or tekin fxr and run a cc bec you will not have any glitching problems and be able to run higher then 2s lipo
punkuup5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 03:28 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

i pull the signal wire out of all my becs and it stops glitching (well the glitching caused by the bec)
life_livin is offline   Reply With Quote