Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Lipo charging

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2009, 09:20 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Lipo charging

Should a 1500mah lipo be charged at 1.5A or is 1.0A okay? I was just curious because i use to do all my nimh saddle packs at 0.5A for longer run times but i dont know much about lipos yet...
InFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-03-2009, 09:28 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

With Lipo's you really won't see a benefit of a slower charge rate. Just keep charging it at 1.5amps.
Scottmisfits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 09:43 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottmisfits View Post
With Lipo's you really won't see a benefit of a slower charge rate. Just keep charging it at 1.5amps.
Is it bad for it to charge at 1.0A?
Old 08-03-2009, 09:44 PM   #4
www.team3sixrc.com

No, you can if you want too. its not going to hurt it.
team3six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 09:49 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Not bad for it at all. There are just no benefits. It will take longer to charge as well.
Scottmisfits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 02:11 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

I charge my 1500 at 1.5A and have never had a problem with it charging...yes a higher rate of charge will make the battery charge faster..lower charge rate, it will take longer to charge.
squatch71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 10:25 AM   #7

Good to know, I've always wondered about that.

What about if you're charging it without a balancer, or balance charger?
Would charging it at a lower amperage be a little safer? I don't mean that it would be a substitute for a balancer, but it seems like there would be a little less risk of overcharging one of the cells in an unbalanced pack if you were charging at slower, lower rate?
G1050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 10:31 AM   #8
Rock Stacker

So if I understand well, if the battery pack is a 2300mAh lipo I can upload it to 2.3a.
zogada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 10:35 AM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by zogada View Post
So if I understand well, if the battery pack is a 2300mAh lipo I can upload it to 2.3a.
Yes.
Old 08-05-2009, 10:49 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1050 View Post

Would charging it at a lower amperage be a little safer? I don't mean that it would be a substitute for a balancer, but it seems like there would be a little less risk of overcharging one of the cells in an unbalanced pack if you were charging at slower, lower rate?
Charging speed doesn't make any difference, as Lipo chargers don't "peak" the cells like with NiMH cells. AFAIK, a Lipo charger just keeps going until the pack reaches the correct voltage (number of cells x4.2v), whereas with NiMH, the charger looks for the voltage to hit it's maximum value, then drop a certain amount, normally around 5mV per cell.

With balance chargers being so cheap now, I wouldn't bother doing a standard charge.
clockworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 01:14 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

Are you saying (in code) that your charger ISN'T a Lipo charger??? or are you just asking charging without a balancer...cause lots of debate on that...I will always use a balancer...for 25 bucks or there about, why not. and he is right...Lipos don't charge like NiMH.

Quote:
"but it seems like there would be a little less risk of overcharging one of the cells in an unbalanced pack if you were charging at slower, lower rate"
not true, It will just overcharge that cell (with out a balancer) at a lower rate...nothing that I want to test out...
squatch71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 01:35 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by squatch71 View Post
Are you saying (in code) that your charger ISN'T a Lipo charger??? or are you just asking charging without a balancer...cause lots of debate on that...I will always use a balancer...for 25 bucks or there about, why not. and he is right...Lipos don't charge like NiMH.

No, I use a lipo charger and I use a Hyperion balancer, as well. I was just wondering about charging without a balancer - there've been times when I didn't have the right balance tap connector, or before I had the balancer, etc. But I'm certainly not willing to push the issue or test it, like you say, for $25 why not use a balancer, it's a lot cheaper than burning down my house.
G1050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 02:04 PM   #13
www.team3sixrc.com

I highly recomend that you balance your batteries before you charge. keeping you cells in balance allows them to run properly and last longer. all your doing is hurting you battery when you do that. I have posted this a couple of time sin other threads. I did a great write up on Electronics from Brushed motors to LED's. Please stop by and educate your self about lipo's. Just a little something I put together from years of experiance that everyone new or not completely understanding should know.
http://www.team3sixrc.com/rcelectronics101.htm
team3six is offline   Reply With Quote