Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Maximum motor speed - 120%

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2009, 06:26 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Maximum motor speed - 120%

I can set my throttle endpoint adjustment on my radio to 120%. Would there be any concern with setting it that high?

I really can't come up with a reason not to. I am running 6 and 7 cell NiMh packs on it with a sidewinder and 55T motor right now.
acrosteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-07-2009, 06:39 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Only if the motor gets too hot...it could destroy the magnets...just watch the temp. However, nothing will likely get damaged.
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 09:26 AM   #3
Picky Fab'r/Acetal Junky

On my DX6 I can adjust to +150%. I've always run it at +150% on whatever rig/motor I've used it with.

This is the way I understand it... It's not that your overrunning your motor...it's all in the radio. If you set the throttle end point to +100%...your not necessarily getting 100% from your motor. You'd be limiting the throttle input sent to the motor. Think of the +120% being the 100% of the motor. The radios "100%" mark is usually higher (as in the 120% or 150%) so that you have a higher number of adjustment incriments. You probably have a -120% also with some of the other programs on the radio. Imagine it this way...with +120%...you have 120 steps of adjustment instead of only 100.

Last edited by Offroader5; 08-07-2009 at 09:28 AM.
Offroader5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 09:38 AM   #4
RCC Addict

The only thing it might do is make the throttle seem smoother. Setting it to 120% won't make the motor spin any faster because full throttle on the esc is almost full battery voltage and you can't go above that without adding cells. IMO you'll be just fine, most of us run 3s lipos with no immediate problems
Almighty Malach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 09:38 AM   #5
RCC Addict

I've been running my DX3R on 150% for months with no problems. Top speed feels the same to me, but having it set on 150% instead of 100% made the throttle feel smoother.
BigB_117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 09:55 AM   #6
Official Cook of the ECC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almighty Malach View Post
The only thing it might do is make the throttle seem smoother. Setting it to 120% won't make the motor spin any faster because full throttle on the esc is almost full battery voltage and you can't go above that without adding cells. IMO you'll be just fine, most of us run 3s lipos with no immediate problems

WRONG, WRONG, WRONG

You actually ever try it or just speculating?

On numerous rigs I have set the ESC's epa adjustments to max while the radio epas are set to lets say 75%. Then when finished with the setup you then raise the radio epa up to it's max. You will see more speed from the motor. I actually just did this last week for a buddy that has an ESC capable of only 7.2 volts. Got him some extra wheelspeed for free.

Now I don't know if all ESCs will see a difference but the ones I have tried do. Never tried any of my Castle stuff though. Does work well using my 3PK on the XL speedo in the Slash.

Now the guys around here will know why my stock Slash is so much faster than theirs.

Last edited by Scattman; 08-07-2009 at 09:57 AM.
Scattman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 10:10 AM   #7
Picky Fab'r/Acetal Junky

The radio does not tell the motor to overrun it's 100% max. The motors top speed/power is based on the motor, ESC, and battery amperage/discharge rate. The motor is only going to go so fast with a said battery and ESC. The radio can't add to this...the battery puts out what the battery puts out.

If the radio is set at the max (in the op's case +120...or my case +150)...this is giving you the most you can get out of the sytem on the truck (100% of the trucks power). It's not giving you an additional 50% of power over what the battery and ESC can do. It's not like overclocking a PC chip.
Offroader5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 11:10 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

Surely if you calibrate the ESC to the radio AFTER adjusting the EPA or travel, you'll get full throttle, no matter how you set the Tx?

If you increase the travel after calibrating the ESC, it won't make any difference - full throttle is full throttle.

If you don't calibrate your ESC, or it doesn't have a calibration option, then increasing the Tx travel might make a difference, but only if the Tx wasn't really giving full throttle in the first place.

As Offroader5 said, you can't get more power than 100%.
clockworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 02:14 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

You guys are confusing. EPA really only affects a throttle servo, not really a speed control. When you set your ESC with EPA at 100% or 120% or whatever, and leave the ESC programmed that way, going another 10% higher on EPA on the radio will do nothing.

Setting your EPA to 120% or whatever on the radio then setting the ESC then dropping the percentage will cost you speed. This is great tool for those learning to drive RC, or when full throttle is not an option, like on super slippery race tracks.

Having said that, I believe that all amplifiers go to 11, and I have all my electric throttles set to 120%. I think I get more trigger travel. I set the ESC with this 120% EPA, and I don't usually change.
phillyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 04:10 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyb View Post
This is great tool for those learning to drive RC, or when full throttle is not an option, like on super slippery race tracks.
I set mine on 25% when my nephew drives
BigB_117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 05:00 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

When I posted this question, I had not read the manual for my Sidewinder ESC.

After downloading and reading it, I returned my radio settings to 100% and trim back to 0. Then I calibrated the ESC.

clockworks got it right.

After calibration, i had more speed immediately, but I did not notice much increase when I took the forward to 120%. Reverse speed, however did increase a little when i took it up the last 20% to 120%

So in my case, calibrating the ESC to the 100% setting on my radio seems to have resulted in 100% output in forward. As evedent by the lack of increase when i went to 120%.
acrosteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 06:59 PM   #12
RCC Addict

Funny stuff here. Once the esc goes to full throttle, that's it.

Scattman, your radio or esc is messed up.
Manning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 07:04 PM   #13
MODERHATER™

I run mine maxxed out at 150% with my DX-6
666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 07:24 PM   #14
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scattman View Post
WRONG, WRONG, WRONG

You actually ever try it or just speculating?

On numerous rigs I have set the ESC's epa adjustments to max while the radio epas are set to lets say 75%. Then when finished with the setup you then raise the radio epa up to it's max. You will see more speed from the motor. I actually just did this last week for a buddy that has an ESC capable of only 7.2 volts. Got him some extra wheelspeed for free.

Now I don't know if all ESCs will see a difference but the ones I have tried do. Never tried any of my Castle stuff though. Does work well using my 3PK on the XL speedo in the Slash.

Now the guys around here will know why my stock Slash is so much faster than theirs.
No, your WRONG WRONG WRONG!!! Setting you endpoints to anything over 100%, and then RE-callibrating the Radio to your ESC will give you a smoother responce ONLY!!! (ex: 100% you have 100 steps, 150% you have 150 steps that is all) If it make your car Faster then you did not callibrate it correctly in the first place!!! There are some cheapy ESC's like the stocker on the Losi MRc which will respond. But It will not give you more wheel speed if you've caliibrated the two together correctly in the first place
cato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 07:29 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

My head hurts from reading this thread..... (sigh!!!)
Mudsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 07:34 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

It is also entirely possible the ESC or radio in question is out of adjustment.

My radio (3pk) shows the travel, and without touching the trigger and sub trim/trim at zero it was actually on one side of the middle. I never noticed, haven't created a new model in a long time, new memory slot had the problem. I just figured out how to fix that too, the third menu in the 3PK the adjuster just set me back to zero. I probably would have never thought to do that, so this thread has definitely helped me, mine is now zero'd again.
Old 08-07-2009, 07:38 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

cato is right
dunerdude69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 07:55 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

I would love to believe there is some magic sequence to get more out of something for free, but I would have read it in a magazine a long time ago.

I would also like to see how it is faster. Some sort of real measurement, like they got 1mph more. There is no seat of the pants measurement.

I am sticking behind my opinion, the only way it would be or feel faster is if there is a malfunction or user error in the equipment.
Old 08-07-2009, 08:08 PM   #19
Hateraide

on my dx6i if i turn it down to 100 i go slower if i turn it up i get to 125 i go faster, but that doesnt mean the motor is going fast its because thats what the motor can do, with just a plain old 3ch i would get 125% all the time because it doesnt have the finer adjustments so thats why i leave my radio at 125
Code454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 08:33 PM   #20
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Code454 View Post
on my dx6i if i turn it down to 100 i go slower if i turn it up i get to 125 i go faster, but that doesnt mean the motor is going fast its because thats what the motor can do, with just a plain old 3ch i would get 125% all the time because it doesnt have the finer adjustments so thats why i leave my radio at 125
Yes that's true! If you don't recallibrate it at each change. Think about it, if the radio is cllibrated to go full speed at 125% epa and the you just lower the EPA to 100% then it will go slower!! Because now you are only using 4/5ths of the travel that is callibrated from the radio to the ESC. But if you recallibrate the ESC to to the new setting on the radio, it will still be full speed.
cato is offline   Reply With Quote