Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Spektrum RX problem led flashing after awhile, allready Fried one

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2009, 06:45 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Spektrum RX problem led flashing after awhile, allready Fried one

Spektrum shutting down and auto on, then flashing LED.

Was using a DX6 with AR6000 , mamba Max crawling fine many times since last August, about 6 charges, recently went to 3s lipo.
Just started to have this problem

Turn it on then I would have no control, it basically acts like I shut off the rx, which it was doing on it's own, shutdown for about 8 seconds then come back on again for about 10 seconds and shutdown again.
I checked voltage at RX 4.98 provided by ESC and providing power to a new Hitec 225mg, DIG Servo.
all other servos are getting direct 6volts via cc bec, separate wiring.

While the Ar6000 was off-line or just before the Mamba would give single tone every second or so, then when AR6000 powered on again the ESC tones would stop.
I began troubleshooting, but the AR6000 DIED completely
So I bought a Bran new AR6100 and binded it, I am getting the same thing in that it has shutdown once and ESC did the tones so I shut it off. Turned back on again and it all works but then RX led starts flashing

I DID Call TECH Support but I got A bad Egg, the guy had an awful attitude and had no troubleshooting Skills, After much discussion I think HE asked one question. But he had NO Idea.

WHat does this rx led flashing mean ?
it's overloaded, thermaling, voltage spike? -->the Spektrum Guy did not even guess these possibilities or tell me to try checking voltage while servo was loaded (like they tell you in the Manual !! ) freeking dum$ss
Cannot find anything about it in the Manual,

All I can think of is something happening with the 225 dig servo, it's not hot but I can feel a small vibration when on. the activator arm is spring loaded both directions, so i dont understand, it's not a new install been working fine for months. I did recently add dry Teflon to the DIG shaft to help slide better, which after a while did not seem to improve or worsen.

Thank you for your help.

thought I'd add a pic of the dig i threw together
This is a 1/8 scale Super Buggy
Attached Images

Last edited by toy4crawlin; 08-12-2009 at 07:00 PM.
toy4crawlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-12-2009, 07:54 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

did you check all the spektrum recalls. you could just send it in and have them reprogram it. also plug you mamba into you computer to make sure all the setting are still correct. throotle curves battery setting, brake and reverse ratio's

Last edited by limpy88; 08-12-2009 at 08:10 PM.
limpy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 09:18 PM   #3
Holmes Hobbies

Try unpluging the dig servo and turn it on.If that don't work,unplug the steering servo.It may be back feeding some voltage
CD13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 09:26 PM   #4
Hateraide

make sure the antenna wires are ok i had one of my old ones flashing and realised it was one of the antenna wires and then it started to fully cut out and then stopped
Code454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 09:59 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by limpy88 View Post
did you check all the spektrum recalls. you could just send it in and have them reprogram it. also plug you mamba into you computer to make sure all the setting are still correct. throotle curves battery setting, brake and reverse ratio's
did not check, but I dont see how this would happen to an old rx and a new DSM2 rx.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CD13 View Post
Try unpluging the dig servo and turn it on.If that don't work,unplug the steering servo.It may be back feeding some voltage
It seems to not act up with dig servo plugged in, but still have not played with it long, and worried of taking a chance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Code454 View Post
make sure the antenna wires are ok i had one of my old ones flashing and realised it was one of the antenna wires and then it started to fully cut out and then stopped
cant be antenna wires, the old rx the wires were tore up but now I have Bran new one , and acting the same.
thanks guys

I'll check the max again and talk to Hitec about this servo
maybe somebody has an idea how to test it
Old 08-12-2009, 10:09 PM   #6
Holmes Hobbies

Unplug everything and use one at a time till you find witch one is making it act up.
CD13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 12:37 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

The flashing Rx LED means that you lost the link to the Tx, then the link was restored.
The LED will flash in a good working setup if you turn the Rx off and back on, without turning the Tx off and back on.

I wonder if the problem lies with your ESC? When you use a 3s LiPo, the BEC in the ESC has to work harder to drop the voltage down to 5v.
I'd try switching back to a 2s pack for testing, or adding an Rx pack in place of the ESC's BEC, or adding a second BEC for the Rx and dig servo.

You could just wire the Rx to the CC BEC. Spektrum Rxs are fine at 6v. Not sure about the 225 servo, though.

The servo "vibrating" indicates that the spring-loading on the arm is unbalanced, so the servo is fighting against one spring.
clockworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 09:44 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

ahh a word from the expert !
Excellent , I will check with castle and see about the bec,
Since the external bec is at 6 volts shoul I just run everything of of it- dig servo and ar6100 ?
I will also re check the trim for the dig servo, I figured since I felt the servo that maybe something was fighting.

Thank u Clock cheers

I will report back the answer
Old 08-13-2009, 05:19 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Running everything from the external BEC might be the simplest option. The Hitec 225 is rated for use on 6v, so no problem there.

I would've guessed at an intermittent radio "glitch" causing the loss of the link, and the subsequent flashing LED on the Tx, but you said the problem started after you switched to 3s. For this reason, my money is on a voltage problem, rather than an interference problem.

What were the symptoms when the original Rx "died"? I had an "out of box" failure with a Spektrum 5000 Rx - no lights at all.

BTW, I'm not an expert, just a fast learner

Last edited by clockworks; 08-13-2009 at 05:23 PM.
clockworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 11:44 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Spoke to Castle today,, he said if there is ANY voltage change going to the RX then it can shutdown, though that does not make much since these go into aircraft.
said to just wired everything into the external bec and disable the esc bec-pull red wire out)
I do think it is the dig servo causing something.
great to know I can plug the 225 into 6volts

Even though I am now 3s it used to be 8 cell Nimh.

I think what might have been happening through talking to Castle is that the ESC was overheating and loss bec power.
THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP

Gota run , off to go 1:1 Crawlin at Fordyce
Attached Images