Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Electronics instalation for a Noob

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2009, 02:37 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Electronics instalation for a Noob

this is my first time installing electronics and i really dont want to mess it up, cause for me its a pain to buy things in the US then wait for them to arrive and then go pick em up from Mexico so it takes me like a month or 2 for each thing

the thing is that i been reading things like, that i have to take off like a red cable from the esc .. something like that .. but im really not sure which or why

i have ESC ( mayhem rc4wd single motor with BEC that comes with it )
Motor 50t 75t and 100t but i will use first the 75t integy lathe
4500 mAh Nimh 7.2v battery
and SR3000spektrum reciever ( dx3.0 )
oh and 1 servo

Hope someone could help me with the Instalation

i hope to take pics later from the stuff i have so that it might help a bit
im sure this should be easy to do but like i said .. its my first time and i dont want to burn anthing.

Thank you

Please HELP !!

Last edited by LorenzoZ; 08-13-2009 at 05:15 PM.
LorenzoZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-13-2009, 06:12 PM   #2
Who's your Daddy-0!

The removal of the red wire from the ESC is if you using a external BEC like a Castle BEC. This is because the BEC will supply power to the RX. If the red wire from the ESC stays hooked up to the RX then the BEC will deliever power to it also. Thus the RX will be getting power from 2 different sources! That is when you will see smoke! If you are just running a ESC with a built in BEC then there is no need to remove any wires
TattooKenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 06:20 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

thank you kenny i will post picture in a Minute so i hope someone could help me telling me which cable to remove .. im uploading pics right now .
ill post them in a bit
Old 08-13-2009, 06:32 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

this is how i think it would go but just not sure
if i need to cut any red cable or something please let me know which if possible.

thanks hope i can get some help here
Old 08-13-2009, 06:57 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Yep RC4WD pulls the red wire for you (or should have) but its pulled in the pic so your good there, if anything just wrap some tape around it so it cant touch anything.
Everything else looks fine. Are you running 1.9 wheels/tires ? i hope so since your running that mayhem servo, i have one and it works pretty good for 1.9's but just doesnt have it for 2.2's.
ScalerLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 07:04 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

yes i bought 4 of those Mayhem esc from rc4wd
and the 4 of them i want them for 1.9 hiluxes
2 of them are trailfinder hiluxes and the other 2 are almost the same but with rc4wd bruiser chassis
so maybe they are a bit heavy the 4 of them.

so you think all the connection is done good ?

thank you
Old 08-13-2009, 07:32 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

i been reading on wiring diagrams but ... now im more confused with them .

some people conect the BEC direct to the Servo
and other connect the BEC direct to the RECIEVER

in my pics the BEC is goin to the Reciever

so now im more confused by reading the Wiring diagrams

i just want to use 1 steering servo and the things i have pictured.

Hope i can get some help please.

anyone has a RC4WD mayhem ESC already conected that can send me a picture ?

any info will help
Thank you
Old 08-13-2009, 07:53 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

It will work how you have it. Just be sure to cover that red wire.

Some people run the voltage from the BEC directly to the servo bypassing the Rx so they can raise the voltage to the servo without damaging the Rx. Hope that helps...
ohmyCLOD! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 11:16 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohmyCLOD! View Post
It will work how you have it. Just be sure to cover that red wire.

Some people run the voltage from the BEC directly to the servo bypassing the Rx so they can raise the voltage to the servo without damaging the Rx. Hope that helps...
1.-part :cover the red wire ? so i should isolate it more like ... with silicone ?

2.- part: so .... should i leave it or change it ?
Old 08-14-2009, 11:20 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Don't run the BEC voltage thru that RX--they are known for going POOF. In fact I have one here on my boys....
crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 11:29 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashfab View Post
Don't run the BEC voltage thru that RX--they are known for going POOF. In fact I have one here on my boys....

ok so ... what should i do ?

hope i can get a more clear explanation ( sorry my english not perfect )
Old 08-14-2009, 11:39 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

First thing to do--get some male and female servo connectors so everything is plug and play--do not hardwire anything on your rig. I do this for 2 reasons--it aids in quick replacememnts at a comp and aids in diagnosing if there is a problem..

But you pull the signal wire from the steering servo (white/yellow/orange) connector. You take a new connector and pop that removed terminal from the servo into the same slot of the new connector. Now take that and plug it into the RX.

Now you can go a couple different ways with the other 2 wires on the servo--I like to make a male to male adapter so you can plug the servo connector into that--and then plug that directly into the BEC. Now you gotta remember you don't want to modify the plug on the BEC in case you want to reprogram the BEC.

Now the wires from the ESC--make sure to keep the red wire in the connector at the RX so the RX will get power--and your done.

I have found this setup also helps with glitch's even on the better RX's..
Old 08-14-2009, 08:53 PM   #13
www.team3sixrc.com

Crashfab, I think it be best if you draw up a diagram. Even the way your explaining it to me doesnt sound right and I undersatnd electronics.

LorenzoZ, I honestly think if you do it up just like i showed ya, you wont have an issue as long as you only run the power thatt ESC is built for. Im not familiar with the RC4WD electronics as I havent discussed it with Rob or Mike yet or even got my hands on it to try. It looks to be that RC4WD has already done the work for you according to the picture on the website if in fact you are using their BEC which it looks like you are. And all your pictures look right to me so I see no reason that there should be a problem or issue. If your not throwing down in a serious comp and have been to about a dozen this year youll be OK, I see other ways of doing it by re routing the wires which may be what what crashfab might be hinting at. dont wrap anything permenent over the red wire. If you look in my signature I have my DNA build in there. I usually wrap all my wires up in spriral wrap and tuck the red wire back wards in the wrap. it protects it and allows you to pull it out and reconnect to reprogram or if using tekin to use the hotwire.
http://www.rc4wdstore.com/2/product_...roducts_id=795
team3six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 10:27 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Basicly this..

Old 08-14-2009, 10:31 PM   #15
www.team3sixrc.com

But see his unit comes with the BEC already tied in. So why would he need to change it to that configuration?
Old 08-14-2009, 11:03 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

Just run it the way you have it. Your not going to smoke anything with the setup you have. Now throw it in a rig and show us some picks of it wheeling

After looking at the RC4wd site the ECS has a built in 5amp bec. What I am getting at is why not diconnect the external bec from the connection on the battery lead and re-connect the red power wire from the esc to the reciever and run it w/out the bec. Because, there is really no need for the external bec with the setup you have. When you upgrade to a beefy stearing servo and a second for a dig or a winch then I would re-connect the bec to take the load off of the internal

Am I reading the Rc4wd site wrong or does anyone out there really think he needs to run the external bec with his setup?

Last edited by goodoldlevi; 08-14-2009 at 11:25 PM.
goodoldlevi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 11:49 PM   #17
www.team3sixrc.com

No, he doesnt really need it to do that. but its not going to hurt him either. Actaully im intrested in seeing how well it works to be honest with you. I have been contemplating trying the brushless waterproofed system they have just to try it out in a scaler.

But good point, if your just running one servo, and nothing else and it is possible to remove it, I guess he really has no need for it. So get a Dig on your truck man!
Old 08-15-2009, 12:09 AM   #18
Rock Crawler

To be honest with you I am currious as well because I have been considering the mayhem for my sons truck and the waterproof setup for my scaler.

So keep us posted Lorenzoz
goodoldlevi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 12:13 AM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodoldlevi View Post
Just run it the way you have it. Your not going to smoke anything with the setup you have. Now throw it in a rig and show us some picks of it wheeling

After looking at the RC4wd site the ECS has a built in 5amp bec. What I am getting at is why not diconnect the external bec from the connection on the battery lead and re-connect the red power wire from the esc to the reciever and run it w/out the bec. Because, there is really no need for the external bec with the setup you have. When you upgrade to a beefy stearing servo and a second for a dig or a winch then I would re-connect the bec to take the load off of the internal

Am I reading the Rc4wd site wrong or does anyone out there really think he needs to run the external bec with his setup?
Its always a good idea to run an external BEC. One thing you do is relieve the amp draw from the ECS--and that removes heat from it too. Also never trust the internal BEC for a constant or true stated voltage. I consider a BEC pretty much standard--doesn't matter what Servo you run...
Old 08-15-2009, 01:34 AM   #20
Who's your Daddy-0!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashfab View Post
The way he has it hooked up is 100% ok! You don't need to change anything! (Just cover the end of the Red wire from the ESC) Install your gear and go crawl There is NO need for you to run your BEC stright to your servo on a scale 1.9! Your RX is will be more than fine with 6V running through it, it's not going to "Smoke" like the other member claims
TattooKenny is offline   Reply With Quote