Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: led signal lights

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2009, 12:49 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default led signal lights

Does anyone know how to modifiy a DX3R so you could install a couple of led lights to inform you as to the position of one of the 3 position switches?
It would be nice if I could tell at a glance what position the switch is in. I know the monitor will do the same but it seems that a light would be better because you would not have to take your eyes off of the car and you could see the lights out of the corner of your eye.
Green for forward pos. no lights for center pos. red light for rear pos. What do you think????
motorman1600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-15-2009, 05:26 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

I think that this will work, but no guarantees:

Wire one LED from the positive side of the switch, through a suitable resistor, then to the common (centre) terminal.

Wire the other LED from the common terminal, through a resistor, to the ground side of the switch.

I'm not 100% sure what will happen when the switch is off (centre position). The LEDs may glow faintly.

Make sure that you wire the LEDs the right way around. The small "flat" moulded into the casing marks the cathode. This is the negative side.

To work out the correct value for the resistor, we need to know the voltage across the switch and the forward voltage and current handling of the LED. As a rough guess, use a 150R resistor for 5v and a 500R for 12v with a red LED, use 100R for 5v or 450R for 12v with a green LED.

As I said at the beginning, I've not tried this, so do it at your own risk!
clockworks is offline   Reply With Quote