Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: FM vs AM? What do you all run for radios?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2009, 12:29 PM   #1

Default FM vs AM? What do you all run for radios?

I know they run at different frequencies. I see the FMs are more then the AMs. Was curious is to what is best for a trail rig.
phunkodelic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-22-2009, 12:31 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

2.4 spektrum...

Last edited by Calderwood; 08-22-2009 at 01:02 PM.
Calderwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 12:38 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

the only thing worth running is a spektrum radio!
RobCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 12:59 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Go with 2.4 technology and be interference free.

I have one of these:
New 3 Channel 2.4 GHZ Radio w/ 2 Receivers (3 position switch for dig) 189.99

Just as good as the Dx3r, comes with a second receiver so you can use it in another truck, and it's $100 cheaper.
RustlerHustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 01:14 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustlerHustler View Post
Go with 2.4 technology and be interference free.

I have one of these:
New 3 Channel 2.4 GHZ Radio w/ 2 Receivers (3 position switch for dig) 189.99

Just as good as the Dx3r, comes with a second receiver so you can use it in another truck, and it's $100 cheaper.

So says the guy who cheaped out. Get a DX3r or 4pk and be done.
The Violator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 01:39 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

So says the guy who spent more than needed and can't run another truck without plunking down yet more money for another Rx.

I've got 2.4, a five position 3rd channel, full adjustments of everything I need, a second receiver, and an extra $100 in my pocket.

What do you have that I don't: a folding antennae and a sense of over paying for something.

Last edited by RustlerHustler; 08-22-2009 at 02:28 PM.
RustlerHustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 01:47 PM   #7
RCC Addict

x2 on the ko propo, plus it has faster response time than the dx3r. and those tiny little recievers can take 2s lipo.
indiana mudcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 03:33 PM   #8
RCC Addict

the only time my spektrum equipment has glitched was when the reciever crapped out. but that was my fault so i am for spek all the way
gottorque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 04:04 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

I'm running all three right now, got a Losi 2.4 in hte Mini Crawler and WK, 75fm Futaba 3pdf in the LCC, and a 27am HPI TF1 in my Axial, and a synth.
BJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 04:24 PM   #10
dkf
Rock Crawler

Spektrum is fine for land R/Cs but I read of quite a guys having issues with them in boats, some of the reason why they came out with a RX just for boats.

With crawling I really don't see the need for tons of range or a high end radio unless you need the channels and features. I have a 2 AM radios and 2 FM (MX3 and 3PK) that I use the stock RX and the switchable Noval Exxtra RXs with. No big need to to go 2.4gig IMO. That said spread spectrum is the future and you don't have to worry about frequencies or crystals anymore and they are getting better pricewise. Just wish the RXs were not so expensive. If you want to hit the trail and you don't comp an AM or FM will work fine and you won't have to worry about frequencies. I don't have glitching issues with my radios, I suspect people who do either have setup or equipment issues. It all depends what you want to spend. Several radios on the market have removable modules so if you would want to convert to 2.4 in the future you could, but they are little pricey.

Last edited by dkf; 08-22-2009 at 04:27 PM.
dkf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 05:05 PM   #11
K_B
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf View Post
Spektrum is fine for land R/Cs but I read of quite a guys having issues with them in boats, some of the reason why they came out with a RX just for boats.

With crawling I really don't see the need for tons of range or a high end radio unless you need the channels and features. I have a 2 AM radios and 2 FM (MX3 and 3PK) that I use the stock RX and the switchable Noval Exxtra RXs with. No big need to to go 2.4gig IMO. That said spread spectrum is the future and you don't have to worry about frequencies or crystals anymore and they are getting better pricewise. Just wish the RXs were not so expensive. If you want to hit the trail and you don't comp an AM or FM will work fine and you won't have to worry about frequencies. I don't have glitching issues with my radios, I suspect people who do either have setup or equipment issues. It all depends what you want to spend. Several radios on the market have removable modules so if you would want to convert to 2.4 in the future you could, but they are little pricey.
Exactly... the big deal about 2.4 is that you don't have to worry about frequencies not interference. FM is quite reliable and many pro racers still use FM.

AM is worthless... glitchy as hell...
K_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 05:08 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf View Post
With crawling I really don't see the need for tons of range or a high end radio unless you need the channels and features. I have a 2 AM radios and 2 FM (MX3 and 3PK) that I use the stock RX and the switchable Noval Exxtra RXs with. No big need to to go 2.4gig IMO.

I take it that you only drive your crawler(s) alone, by yourself.... right? I think at our small GTG's we'll have 5-8 people and many have multiple trucks, those with AM or FM radios tend to sit out until someone frees up a channel. At a scale comp we'll see 15-20 people and at regular comps we'll have up to 40 people. Talk about glitching central for those AM/FM radios.
toyofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 05:43 PM   #13
dkf
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyofast View Post
I take it that you only drive your crawler(s) alone, by yourself.... right? I think at our small GTG's we'll have 5-8 people and many have multiple trucks, those with AM or FM radios tend to sit out until someone frees up a channel. At a scale comp we'll see 15-20 people and at regular comps we'll have up to 40 people. Talk about glitching central for those AM/FM radios.
Mostly by myself. Are the glitching issues your seeing with the am and fm radios with the 2.4s mixed in there too? I can see why you would want to spend the coin in that situation. Depends how you use the radio I guess. Another advantage to 2.4 is I can pick up Xxtra RXs cheap.

Last edited by dkf; 08-22-2009 at 05:47 PM.
dkf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 06:24 PM   #14
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyofast View Post
sounds like some folks need to invest in a few sets of crystals. If people are getting glitches on FM at your comps then people are not respecting their fellow crawlers and checking what frequencies are available before they run.

On a side note, dont buy into the "never have to wait for an open channel with 2.4" comments that always fly around. Ive been to 2 large touring car races (snow birds and the cleveland indoor champs) and havent been able to bind my radio because all 80 channels (or how ever many there are now) were occupied. Everyone assumes that because they are running spread spectrum they can just tinker with their cars whenever they want to and not interefere with anyone else, but thats not really the case.

As for the original ? this thread is about... FM all the way. Just listen to the difference between AM and FM in your car. Thats the same thing your receiver hears. If you have to go AM because of budget, stay away from 27mhz. Theres just too many people running RTR radios on 27 mhz and not enough FCC approved channels in the states to get away with it.
killswitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 12:04 AM   #15

I'm running a JR xs3 Pro. Works real good, 3 channels, 10 model memory, and several channel options to pick from built in. Seems most go with the Spektrum set up, but I'm very happy with this..
56effie is offline   Reply With Quote