Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: I need drag brake, help...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2009, 11:00 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default I need drag brake, help...

I need drag brake, and I want some kind of programmability, but I don't want to drop a lot of coin.

I found these ESCs for the following prices:

Castle Sidewinder Micro 1/18th - $44.98 shipped (new)
Castle Sidewinder 1/10th - $61.98 shipped (new)
Tekin B1R 1/18th - $64.31 shipped (new)

Used prices are close, but with the above, I'd get to claim warranty if anything happened, and know it hasn't been abused.

I wanted to stay away from the Novaks because the rooster is big and doesn't support 3S (I use 2S now, but plan on upgrading eventually...)

The question is, with the Sidewinder Micro at such a low price, should I just get that, or spend the extra $17 and get the 1/10th sidewinder?
Is there a different ESC for the same or less than the above that I should know about?

This will be used on a 540 size 55t motor, which all three should do just fine, supposedly.

By the way, I did search, but it didn't really answer my question...
monkeyracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-30-2009, 11:02 AM   #2
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

The sidewinder 1/10 is your best bet for a 540. The other two are borderline on size IMO. They work for a 55t on 2s, but I would not use them with 3s.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 12:35 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
The sidewinder 1/10 is your best bet for a 540. The other two are borderline on size IMO. They work for a 55t on 2s, but I would not use them with 3s.

Ok, are there any other ESCs to consider for that price? (Would rather get new, but I'd consider used, I know the FX-Rs usually go for $70 used.)
Old 08-30-2009, 02:57 PM   #4

The FXR would be my other recommendation.
Old 09-02-2009, 02:23 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

ok, I'm selling some stuff to finance the new ESC, so now the question is:

Is the drag brake on the sidewinder strong enough to work just fine, or should I spend the extra bucks and get the FXR for it's superior drag brake?

This is the main reason I'm upgrading my ESC, so I want to make sure I'm getting the right one.
Old 09-02-2009, 09:14 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyracer View Post
I need drag brake, and I want some kind of programmability, but I don't want to drop a lot of coin.

I found these ESCs for the following prices:

Castle Sidewinder Micro 1/18th - $44.98 shipped (new)
Castle Sidewinder 1/10th - $61.98 shipped (new)
Tekin B1R 1/18th - $64.31 shipped (new)

Where did you find that price on the Tekin B1R ???
toytech93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 10:00 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by toytech93 View Post
Where did you find that price on the Tekin B1R ???

Well... since I'm not planning on buying it...

http://www.rcplanet.com/ProductDetai...TT1081&click=3

Clearance at RC Planet...

I can't figure out if I should get a new sidewinder or a used FX-R...
Old 09-02-2009, 10:27 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Thanks, I would alway choose tekin over castle. I own 3 FXRs, I love them.

Tekin has the best customer service !
toytech93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 10:36 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Ya, I was always leaning toward the FXR, but the sidewinders are a good price. I posted a wanted thread, so I'll see what people have to offer.
Old 09-03-2009, 07:04 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

ok, a local guy has a sidewinder 1/10th for $40 that needs the receiver wires re-soldered to the board.

I'm comfortable with doing the soldering, but is this a fair price for the ESC?

He's also got a broken BEC for $6 that I can send to castle for $6 (plus shipping) to get it serviced.

What do you guys think?
Old 09-03-2009, 08:20 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

The drag brake on the Sidewinder isn't earth-shattering. Especially compared to the FX-R. Having said that, I've got 3 sidewinders (mainly so I can run 4s). I've got one on an Axial and two on a Berg. The Axial runs a 45t motor with a 12t pinion/std spur and the drag brake is more than sufficient, on the Berg (55t motors and 12t pinions) its not that good. Depending on application, the drag brake could be fine.
LincolnBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 08:50 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by toytech93 View Post
Thanks, I would alway choose tekin over castle. I own 3 FXRs, I love them.

Tekin has the best customer service !

X2

I know a few were amazed at the drag brake I was getting at Worlds. It was only set to 50%.
Rockcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 08:52 PM   #13

Castle is increasing their drag brake on future firmware releases. They had put a cap on it because it was breaking driveline parts on fast vehicles. 100% was where it wouldn't break parts. Now the 100% will be stronger, possibly twice as strong.
Old 09-03-2009, 09:04 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Castle is increasing their drag brake on future firmware releases. They had put a cap on it because it was breaking driveline parts on fast vehicles. 100% was where it wouldn't break parts. Now the 100% will be stronger, possibly twice as strong.
Nice. In response to crawler use I'm assuming.

When is this new firmware release happening?
Meatwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 09:06 PM   #15

I am not sure which firmware it will make it into. It is indeed in response to crawlers asking for it. They may just have a crawler checkbox so that fast users don't break parts.
Old 09-03-2009, 09:15 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Will look forward to that for sure, at present the drag brake is the only thing letting it down.
LincolnBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 08:13 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by LincolnBlack View Post
The drag brake on the Sidewinder isn't earth-shattering. Especially compared to the FX-R. Having said that, I've got 3 sidewinders (mainly so I can run 4s). I've got one on an Axial and two on a Berg. The Axial runs a 45t motor with a 12t pinion/std spur and the drag brake is more than sufficient, on the Berg (55t motors and 12t pinions) its not that good. Depending on application, the drag brake could be fine.
Quote:
Quote:
I am not sure which firmware it will make it into. It is indeed in response to crawlers asking for it. They may just have a crawler checkbox so that fast users don't break parts.

I just got the sidewinder from another forum member locally, and installed it, set drag brake to 100% and I'm pretty disappointed at the amount of brake. Maybe it's my motor as well, stock axial 55t, but i can push it with not a whole lot of force, as well as on a hill it just rolls back down.

Is it because of the motor, or is it how low the drag brake really is, or both?

Can't wait for the new firmware...
Old 09-13-2009, 08:38 PM   #18

Both. Mostly the motor though. I can grab my rig and rotate it by the tires with a handwound motor. It slowly creeps.
Old 09-13-2009, 08:42 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

well it shouldnt be weak, do you have a castle link, is the firmware updated to 2.21beta ( may not be the exact number but should be close). Part of it could be the motor the axials are not the best and even a basic integy 55 turn will hold the car better. I have a 55turn you can try when we meet for the knuckles (cant find the stupid venom ones, i can cut down some berg ones for you though).
paintballer9876 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 11:00 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintballer9876 View Post
well it shouldnt be weak, do you have a castle link, is the firmware updated to 2.21beta ( may not be the exact number but should be close). Part of it could be the motor the axials are not the best and even a basic integy 55 turn will hold the car better. I have a 55turn you can try when we meet for the knuckles (cant find the stupid venom ones, i can cut down some berg ones for you though).
I just updated to the latest firmware, set drag brake to 100%, and a few other settings (still want to play with throttle curve a little more, and neutral width...) and when I start to climb a vertical surface (like a wall) and let off the throttle, it just rolls back down. With almost any other crawler I've seen the truck would just stay where it is. It's almost like drag brake is not even on. (It is though because when going from full throttle to neutral, there's a noticeable brake.) I know even the best drag brakes allow some movement, but this is pretty weak.

Adam - If you can't find the venom knuckles, I'd be fine taking the berg knuckles, but what about the silver knuckles we were talking about (probably GH brand)? As far as the motor, I'd like to try a better motor to see if that makes a difference, because the integys are pretty darn cheap.

Edit: While writing this, the same guy I got the sidewinder from has decided to leave the hobby and is selling his integy 45t, as well as other stuff, for a killer price, so I'll probably just get that and call it a day for my drag brake problem. I was going to try to get the 45t anyway, so it works out in the end.