Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Novak Rooster Killed my Lipo battery?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2009, 06:18 AM   #1

Default Novak Rooster Killed my Lipo battery?

Hi, I installed Novak Rooster ESC 55 Combo on my AX10. I run 2s 4000maH 25C Lipo battery and now is dead because the Rooster did not cut-off in profile two. I followed the setup instruction and the manual says that after I press the one touch setup button then release I will get two leds light up at the same time then entering the profile mode afterward. One blink = profile one; Two blinks = profile two (lipo cut off mode) so I selected two blinks. After 25-30 minutes driving the ax10, it completely stopped. The ESC "Red & Green LEDs alternately flashing" didn't happen, the truck just went dead stop and the servo also didn't move. I checked the ESC profile again with a fresh lipo battery to make sure I selected the correct profile. And I did get two blinks (profile two) with the fresh battery. Do you guys know any known bugs in the Novak Rooster ESC? Have this ever happened to anyone??

I'm very dissapointed if that this happened from a name brand esc. Now I'm left with one dead lipo battery

Last edited by roosterkill; 09-02-2009 at 11:59 AM.
roosterkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-02-2009, 06:31 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Are you sure that there wasnt a problem with the battery to begin with? I run a 1350 mAh 3S pack with a 7T puller and a lot of throttle and I get run times of about 40 minutes. Your 4000 mAh and 55T motor should be lasting MUCH longer than that..

BTW, it's ironic considering your username...
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 06:32 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

There is a guy on here Novaktwo find & contact him.
poorboyrc77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 06:57 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyH View Post
Are you sure that there wasnt a problem with the battery to begin with? I run a 1350 mAh 3S pack with a 7T puller and a lot of throttle and I get run times of about 40 minutes. Your 4000 mAh and 55T motor should be lasting MUCH longer than that..

BTW, it's ironic considering your username...
It is isn't it.. I have been using the nick long before I owned the ESC though.
Anyways, the battery wasn't fully charged and was used previously on my slash (with brushless/cut off capability also) plus I run the ax10 with 24T pinion and the incident happened when I run the truck in full throttle all the time on grass.
Old 09-02-2009, 07:05 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

The first battery want take a charge at all ?? I know its lipo if its dead its dead.
Old 09-02-2009, 07:09 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

You can bring a lipo back from a really low charge....just charge it on a low current under a NiMH setting until it hits 6V and then switch over to a lipo setting...
Old 09-02-2009, 07:12 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by poorboyrc77 View Post
The first battery want take a charge at all ?? I know its lipo if its dead its dead.
yes it will not take a charge at all. it's dead dead.. I have two iCharger 106B.. i tried to charge the battery on them both..
Old 09-02-2009, 07:14 AM   #8

Quote:
You can bring a lipo back from a really low charge....just charge it on a low current under a NiMH setting until it hits 6V and then switch over to a lipo setting...
Are you sure about this? I'm paranoid when it comes to batteries..especially the damaged ones :?
Old 09-02-2009, 07:17 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

I know you ran it at full throttle. Did you have any glitching or warning the battery was getting low. It's supposed to stop but I read Novak instructions & if you keep running it it will kill the battery.
Old 09-02-2009, 07:23 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by roosterkill View Post
Are you sure about this? I'm paranoid when it comes to batteries..especially the damaged ones :?
I have successfully done this in the past. A buddy left his lipo plugged in (with a BEC) and drained it fully. We charged it with the method I listed above and he is still using it to this day. Note, we charged it out in the open and also used a LipoSack. Note #2, his battery was not puffed up in any way. If your battery is puffed, I wouldn't try this method.
Old 09-02-2009, 07:33 AM   #11

Quote:
I know you ran it at full throttle. Did you have any glitching or warning the battery was getting low. It's supposed to stop but I read Novak instructions & if you keep running it it will kill the battery.
No glitching or warning.. just sudden stopped. And the servo was also non functional. As I mentioned on the previous post, I'm using brushless esc on my traxxas slash and I somewhat familiar with lipo cut off feature on an esc. I also understand after the function kicks in and leave it for a while I can still use the remaining juice that left in the battery, but I didn't do that with the rooster. The car just stopped instantly.
Old 09-02-2009, 07:35 AM   #12

Quote:
I have successfully done this in the past. A buddy left his lipo plugged in (with a BEC) and drained it fully. We charged it with the method I listed above and he is still using it to this day. Note, we charged it out in the open and also used a LipoSack. Note #2, his battery was not puffed up in any way. If your battery is puffed, I wouldn't try this method.
my battery isn't puffed at all.. I will try your suggestion and see what happens. Thank you for the input.
Old 09-02-2009, 07:43 AM   #13
RCC Addict

Something dosen't sound right a axial w/55T and 4000 mah should drive for 3.5 hrs +. I went 1/2 hr to a 1.0 hr on a 35t hand wound w/1320 lipo
Flyin Hawaiian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 07:45 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyin Hawaiian View Post
Something dosen't sound right a axial w/55T and 4000 mah should drive for 3.5 hrs +. I went 1/2 hr to a 1.0 hr on a 35t hand wound w/1320 lipo
I answered the same question by another gentlemen on this thread. the battery was not in FULL condition. It was previously ran on my traxxas slash
Old 09-02-2009, 07:46 AM   #15

Quote:
I tried you method but my charger says 'low voltage error' I tried regular lipo balance charge method again and the charges said the same thing. I think I'm out of luck.
Old 09-02-2009, 07:54 AM   #16
Rock Crawler

Hate to see you ruin another battery but maybe the first one just died for some unexplained reason. Maybe you should try the other one. Just a suggestion.
Old 09-02-2009, 08:28 AM   #17

Quote:
Hate to see you ruin another battery but maybe the first one just died for some unexplained reason. Maybe you should try the other one. Just a suggestion.
I will just have to do that.. thanks
Old 09-02-2009, 11:00 AM   #18
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by roosterkill View Post
I tried you method but my charger says 'low voltage error' I tried regular lipo balance charge method again and the charges said the same thing. I think I'm out of luck.
Are you sure that you've set the charger to "NiMH mode". In NiMH mode, the charger shouldn't care about the voltage, it just keeps charging until the voltage starts to drop off (peak detect). For that reason, I'd be surprised if your charger gave this error in NiMH mode.

If you really are using NiMH mode, your battery is seriously dead.

BTW, I recovered an over-discharged LiPo battery just last week by charging it at 0.5A on a NiMH charger.
clockworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 11:55 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by clockworks View Post
Are you sure that you've set the charger to "NiMH mode". In NiMH mode, the charger shouldn't care about the voltage, it just keeps charging until the voltage starts to drop off (peak detect). For that reason, I'd be surprised if your charger gave this error in NiMH mode.

If you really are using NiMH mode, your battery is seriously dead.

BTW, I recovered an over-discharged LiPo battery just last week by charging it at 0.5A on a NiMH charger.
Yes the charger says "low voltage error" even in NiMH mode. I'm just gonna have to try another battery. This might have been not because of the rooster error. Maybe because of cold solder breakage inside of that battery or whatnot, and I'm simply too paranoid to find out by dis assembling that battery. So I'm just gonna try another battery but now with low voltage 'monitor' externally, so the alarm will sound if the rooster's LVC should fail LV detection.
Old 09-02-2009, 12:04 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Yes, it sounds like something is wrong with the battery other than low voltage. You should, no matter what the voltage, be able to charge it on NiMH setting.