Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Liquid tape + esc = no work????

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2009, 08:37 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Liquid tape + esc = no work????

Ok, so i have a tazer esc that worked fine when i got it. Took it apart and covered the inside with liquid electrial tape. (found a how to on youtube and did it just like that) Hooked up the esc to everything on the lr3 project last night, and nothing. No lights, no servor noise, no nothing. My question is this, can you destroy your esc if you coat it with this elec. liquid tape?
friscokidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-02-2009, 08:41 AM   #2
Powered by Awesome

according to your results - yes

just because you see it on youtube - dont belive it...

got pics and a link to the video?
TwistedXT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 08:49 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

We are dealing with this liquid tape at work right now... Kinda sucks! I'm guessing while its wet it's still conductive. It the top was "dry" but the part in contact with the board was still curing when it was powered on, it could have been shorting. We use it to cover bulkhead connections, I don't think it's supposed to be used as a circuit epoxy..
30percent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 08:58 AM   #4
tjb
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30percent View Post
We are dealing with this liquid tape at work right now... Kinda sucks! I'm guessing while its wet it's still conductive. It the top was "dry" but the part in contact with the board was still curing when it was powered on, it could have been shorting. We use it to cover bulkhead connections, I don't think it's supposed to be used as a circuit epoxy..

Would be my guess too....
tjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 09:01 AM   #5
Powered by Awesome

those traxxas reciever boxes from the summit/slash are like 8 bucks... work great and no fuss... only slightly larger then the receiver... use that instead
Old 09-02-2009, 09:03 AM   #6
Powered by Awesome

heck i use all traxxas stuff.. blue servos, xl5 in blue and the reciever box.. scaler gets submerged on a regular basis.. no issues at all... and dont use lipos - they dont like water - nihms will resist water better
Old 09-02-2009, 09:08 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedXT View Post
according to your results - yes
just because you see it on youtube - dont belive it...
got pics and a link to the video?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFTFP...om=PL&index=21

at about 4:30 is where he states to use the liquid tape. And i guess i DID answer my own questions...lol.

Quote:
yea, i never even thought about its conductivitie aspect once dry. Thats a good point.

Note to self, only use liquid tape to coat things that ARENT conductive....lol

lesson learned and now a new waterproof esc is in my buying future:?
Old 09-02-2009, 10:26 AM   #8

Is there a specific epoxy one should use on circuit boards or will any regular 5 minute epoxy suffice? I wasn't thinking of water proofing, but more like reducing the potential for damage should say, the receiver got soaked.
derangboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 10:38 AM   #9
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

You want conformal coating. like this http://www.crazypc.com/products/conf...ng-934900.html or this http://www.mcmelectronics.com/produc...LAID=220229316
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 01:10 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

i have used liquid electrical tape on 2 escs about 6months ago and they are still working great. it just needs to be dry
benoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 01:14 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by benoj View Post
i have used liquid electrical tape on 2 escs about 6months ago and they are still working great. it just needs to be dry
I let it dry for 2 days. i would hope thats long enough?
Old 09-02-2009, 01:43 PM   #12

is it possible to pull it apart and pick the liquid tape off
you never know if itll work again and at this point i guess you dont have much to lose eh
imperium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 02:15 PM   #13
RCC Addict

Quote:
We are dealing with this liquid tape at work right now... Kinda sucks! I'm guessing while its wet it's still conductive. It the top was "dry" but the part in contact with the board was still curing when it was powered on, it could have been shorting.
X3
At work we use a comformal coat that cures under UV light. The amount we flood it with, it cures in 45secs.
To keep it thin and flowing in the robots, the carrier chemicals are conductive until they set under UV.
I have waterproofed 2rx's and an ESC so far that are still running.

I also have used a very flammable form of comformal coat on Strain Gages that need to be weather-proof. It is Polyurethane, that is 75% carrier chemicals that are flammable. Air Drys in 20mins, but does not Cure for 6-7 days. They do not recommend activating the gages until then.
sweli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 02:20 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by derangboy View Post
Is there a specific epoxy one should use on circuit boards or will any regular 5 minute epoxy suffice? I wasn't thinking of water proofing, but more like reducing the potential for damage should say, the receiver got soaked.

Here is another link to intro conformal coating. There are different types. I think Silicone would be the best because it would allow flexibility where the wires stick out, and it's non-destructive removal may come it handy one day...

http://www.electronics-project-desig...alCoating.html
30percent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 11:24 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

those tazer escs just stop working in general.. i had been running 1 in my drift car for months.. it sat for 2 days. throw a fresh 4600 in it and nothin.. not even a twitch.. go for the traxxas water proof xl5.. they work great..
NSR_CIVIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 12:17 AM   #16
Who's your Daddy-0!

I've covered boards in Liquid tape before and it worked fine. I just made sure it dried over night first. The Cap Lights I take apart and use for rock lights have exposed boards. I cover them with it and they work great.....Like it was said above, bet it was still wet when you powered it up. Pull it off and see if the ESC will still work....never know!
TattooKenny is offline   Reply With Quote