Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Steering Dual Rate

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2009, 07:24 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Steering Dual Rate

Ok, I searched for this but couldn't find any answers.

My question is, on my Losi FM transmitter there is a knob that has "D/R" on it, I know that's the dual rate knob, but my question is, is that essentially the same thing as EPA's? I know it's not true EPA's since I can't change the percentages for left or right, but I can adjust the throw for the servo going either way.
canadianbacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-03-2009, 08:17 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Nope Dual rate is not the same as EPA( End Point Adjustment).Dual rate is not really used as you want full power to your servo all the time. EPAs adjust your servos total travel. ie to set your servo to turn as far as possible with out the tires hitting your links or just before the point of the steering limitations itself stressing the servo. Oh yea if you want true EPA any 2.4 gHz radio systems seem to have them.I am not shure if any fm systems have them. upper end ones maby

Last edited by gottorque; 09-03-2009 at 08:21 PM.
gottorque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 11:42 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

I believe that D/R was really made for the on road racers. They could run the big oval tracks with the D/R turned down and this would keep the radio from being so sensitive to input. If they got in a bind (spun out) or just needed more steering for a car that was loose or pushing in the turns, they could just hit the roller without stopping to look at the radio.
Rockcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 01:21 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

Dual rate is essentially the same as adjusting EPA in both directions at the same time.

On a full-featured aircraft Tx, you get dual rate options on aileron, elevator and rudder channels, possibly more channels on high-end Txs.

With the rates on full, you set your EPA. You program the D/R switch to reduce servo travel by whatever percentage you want, when the switch is flicked.
It's used to make the control surfaces move less during takeoff and landing, when the plane is being flown by a less experienced pilot, or so that an experienced pilot can relax and just cruise around.

The D/R knob on the Losi Tx that I've got (came with a micro truck) isn't really a D/R, which implies 2 settings, but a Variable Rate.
I'd say that you can look at it either as a sensitivity control, to turn down the amount of steering for any given steering wheel movement (pointless on a crawler), or as a crude EPA adjustment, to stop the servo hanging up at full lock.
Basically, you are spot on in your post!

Last edited by clockworks; 09-04-2009 at 01:24 AM.
clockworks is offline   Reply With Quote