Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Rc4wd Mayhem single motor esc w/bec mini review

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2009, 12:33 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Rc4wd Mayhem single motor esc w/bec mini review

http://www.rc4wdstore.com/2/product_...roducts_id=795

This is for those searching for info on this esc and bec combo, I couldn't find any actual reviews so I'm writing one from a crawling noob perspective.

I was looking for a relatively cheap esc with bec for my ax10 rtc and this was pretty much the cheapest option with the basic features required for crawling. IMO this esc is what shouldve been on the rtc. It's basic, non programmable and does it's job. The drag brake is sufficient and bec is perfect for a single servo setup. Not to mention instant forward/reverse. Definitely an upgrade from the stock esc. No more jittering, shutdown at full steering lock and double pumping the trigger to get back into forward (stock rtc esc is wired in reverse for those not aware).

Installation is straight forward as everything has connectors ready to go. Just a matter of placement

It was 56 bucks and change. Got it in a couple days.

I don't comp nor do I intend to, just afternoon fun in dry creeks.

Mandatory flex

I recommend this esc for a relatively cheap upgrade to the stock ax10 rtc electronics. Anyone with questions feel free to ask
Meatwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-09-2009, 02:55 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

oh diab du diab. mines better. your set-up sucks. CRAWL ALL OVER YOU!
Sicario666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 02:58 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

i just ordered the same components you did. same ESC and same tires. but mines better. Cuz i said so...all you can climb over is pebbles. TOILET PEBBLES!
Old 09-09-2009, 03:29 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Lol sacana that's why I don't like posting!
Old 09-09-2009, 03:34 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

are you guys brothers ?
why not just turn around and talk to each other ?

crunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 03:50 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunky View Post
are you guys brothers ?
why not just turn around and talk to each other ?

Cuz we're at work and he's in a different dept. You expect me to walk over there?!
Old 09-09-2009, 04:12 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Its a lot more fun to say mines better on the forums...not only that. We get viewers that throw some odd responses back at us.but thanks for the review...you wad of meat. I took the info and bought the same crap.I don't know why there wasn't a review for that esc already. LET'S TAKE OUR PROBLEMS TO THE ROCKS!
Old 09-09-2009, 06:49 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

We will settle it on the rocks or small rolls!!

Hopefully the mini review helps someone cuz I couldn't find much info. I bought it mostly on the rep of rc4wd and partly in what lil info I could find on the esc.

As for the esc it still works and great at that. Cheap and easy for a single servo setup.
Old 09-09-2009, 07:50 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

I have the dual motor version and it has only a Y in the harness. If I had known that I would have gotten the single motor one and done that myself. Also mine fried when is was about a week old when I just pluged in the battery and had not even turn on yet. It was replaced but took forever to get the new one and I had already upgraded to an FXR and AX10 form a Cliff Climber by then.
lt1zwb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 07:55 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by lt1zwb96 View Post
I have the dual motor version and it has only a Y in the harness. If I had known that I would have gotten the single motor one and done that myself. Also mine fried when is was about a week old when I just pluged in the battery and had not even turn on yet. It was replaced but took forever to get the new one and I had already upgraded to an FXR and AX10 form a Cliff Climber by then.
This is too bad and I know nothing of the dual motor esc.

What type of batt did you use?

How long till it was replaced?
Old 09-09-2009, 08:02 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

First it took 3 weeks to get to me when I orderded it and it lasted only 6 batts. When I sent it back after the first contact with them I did not hear another word from them until I emailed them again after a month. Then it took another 10 days to get to me. All total it was about 6 weeks. I have never tried the new one since I got the AX10 while waiting for the ESC to get back. They never showed out of stock on the web site and it is thier own product so I did not see why it took so long. Unfortunatly they lost a customer over it becaus I thought it was an unreasonable amount of time.
lt1zwb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 08:10 PM   #12
support@rc4wd.com

Quote:
First it took 3 weeks to get to me when I orderded it and it lasted only 6 batts. When I sent it back after the first contact with them I did not hear another word from them until I emailed them again after a month. Then it took another 10 days to get to me. All total it was about 6 weeks. I have never tried the new one since I got the AX10 while waiting for the ESC to get back. They never showed out of stock on the web site and it is thier own product so I did not see why it took so long. Unfortunatly they lost a customer over it becaus I thought it was an unreasonable amount of time.
Send me your purchase order number name and shipping address and I will see what the problem was with shipping the replacement out in a timely manner

Email at support@ rc4wd.com
roborg5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 08:13 PM   #13
Hateraide

Quote:

thats not unreasonable sometimes it just takes time, just for me to have stuff come across Canada takes 2 weeks and if from the states like a month sometimes more so chit happes you had a different esc anyways,

oh and you could also get like a rooster crawler or sidewinder for a little more but perfect for beginers
Code454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 08:22 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Code454 View Post
thats not unreasonable sometimes it just takes time, just for me to have stuff come across Canada takes 2 weeks and if from the states like a month sometimes more so chit happes you had a different esc anyways,

oh and you could also get like a rooster crawler or sidewinder for a little more but perfect for beginers
I had heard/read so so reviews on the rooster crawler stuff. And really wanted a sidewinder but a bec is still required and that's about 80 and change before shipping for esc and bec. I'm on more of a budget
Old 09-10-2009, 12:35 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Helo .. i bought 4 of these ESC and a couple of their servos ... and like i said in other post ..
i have only test it for a few .. but so far its working good and like i said .. i have only tested 1 ESC and 1 Servo.

im using it with ...
Mayhem ESC
4500mAh 7.2 battery
SR3000 reciever DX3.0
integy 75T
rc4wd mayhem high torque standard servo.

im testing all this in a Trailfinder 1.9

if anything happens ill let you know.

ohh and i really like the dragbrake .. its powerfull ... i think. its my first electronics so i had nothing to compare it with ..
its my first time with electronics and it was so simple to install

but in my opinion so far is ... i recommend it !
LorenzoZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 08:54 PM   #16
Pebble Pounder

i just got my mayhem esc today in the mail. i will be installing it tomorrow night sometime. then ill be back to share my opinion. im sure i wont be upset. and if i am ITS ALL MEATWADS FAULT!