Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Novak DIg questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2009, 08:20 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Novak DIg questions

Is anybody running a Novak dig and how do you like it? Im looking into a PunkRc or a Novak depending on performance
Cycleeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-07-2009, 12:37 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Not running novak but ya need two speed controllers as it works on the low voltage speed controller input and the punk works on the high voltage speed controller output. Both need a 3 position switch on the 3rd channel for front dig/4 wheel drive/rear dig. The novak is really for brushless setups because each brushless motor needs a separate speed controller but will work with brushed systems. Brushed motors don't require seperate speed contolers so the punk works fine with one speed controleler and two brushed motors. When installed both "drive" the same way. Really if ya are going to run two speed controllers get a good mixing 3+ channel radio and forget dig switches.
oldhippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 12:55 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

I'll only be running one Tekin FXR Pro so the Novak is out and PunkRc will be getting an order shortly
Cycleeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 08:47 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Default Some Dig information, from previous threads.....

Novak Electronics designed and manufactured this unit to meet a demand from our customers for a simple electronic mixer unit that would function with two Brushless motors in a dual motor Crawler.

This resulted in the Dig unit. The Dig unit interfaces between any two brushless systems whether they are sensored or non-sensored (as well as two brush systems). The Dig mixes the throttle channel with a three position, or proportional, third channel. The transmitter does not have to have a mixing function to operate the Dig as all the mixing is done in the Dig unit itself.

Once the Dig unit is programmed, it will remember its settings until you change them. The Dig unit allows the customer to switch the Dig function to the front or the rear. One of the advantages of our brushless crawler systems is that the brakes can be adjusted from a minimum value to full lock brake thus giving you adjustable brake Bias between front and rear.

This is something that can’t be done with a single brushed speed control controlling two motors. We also added two external indicator LEDs so that the driver can mount them on the outside of the body to identify which Dig is engaged before making a move.
------------

Our Dig unit is "non-denominational"....It works with all mfgs products!

The Dig was designed for all two system set-ups, both brush and brushless---both sensored, or non sensored.

Any systems that offers precision, drag brake adjustments should work fine. Our Goat's (both the original 2S and new 3S) have 10 on board, drag brake settings.
--------------

I asked the engineers the questions that I raised up-thread.
You may mix and match front and rear control:

~ use brush systems from different mfgs w/different wind motors
~ use brushless systems from different mfgs w/different turn motors
~ use one brush system and one brushless system

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/showt...ig#post1885943
NovakTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 09:05 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

We will be announcing information on our upcoming M2 Dig dual controller and system in a few weeks. This new esc will power two brush motors and includes our new Dig circuitry built-in.

It will occupy a footprint smaller than our current Rooster Crawler and Goat escs, and includes additional, cool features. (Including a PC programming option)
Old 09-08-2009, 10:00 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovakTwo View Post
We will be announcing information on our upcoming M2 Dig dual controller and system in a few weeks. This new esc will power two brush motors and includes our new Dig circuitry built-in.

It will occupy a footprint smaller than our current Rooster Crawler and Goat escs, and includes additional, cool features. (Including a PC programming option)
That sounds cool. COuld you PM me when they are out? I may pick one up for my clod build, which I havent started yet. If its cheaper than 2 seperate controllers, that may be good.
Spiftacu1ar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 10:25 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Guess I'm kind of late to the game here, but I'm running the Novak Dig I won in their giveaway in my MOA Losi I'm just finishing up... (Thanks for the Dig Novak!)

So far its working great... Simple to setup, and doesn't skip a beat. I'm running it with 2 MambaMaxes and brushed motors. Performance wise, you can't really compare the 2. They do different things. One allows you to use 2 ESCs and does the throttle mixing for you to the 3rd channel aux. The other switches the output power to the motors to give front/rear etc. They have different functionality depending on how you want to setup the rig, you really can't compare them.
JasonJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 03:00 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiftacu1ar View Post
That sounds cool. COuld you PM me when they are out? I may pick one up for my clod build, which I havent started yet. If its cheaper than 2 seperate controllers, that may be good.
Last pricing I saw, the M2 Dig System w/two 55 turn motors should be cheaper than two Rooster Crawler controllers by themselves.

I will post more info on this exclusive dual controller as it becomes available.