Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: curious question?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2009, 07:43 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default curious question?

I was wondering if anyone has heard or tried these batteries?

http://cgi.ebay.com/7-2v-3800-mah-Ni...d=p3286.c0.m14
silverback4jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-10-2009, 07:47 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

2 things too look at first the name "super power" what the heck is that second is location = hong kong tells me it might not work at all or blow up
dblrnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 07:56 PM   #3
RCC Addict

That is a VERY large pack for a crawler. No matter where it is from, it is BIG and HEAVY. It definitely will not fit on an axle, so it will be sitting up high....throwing off the center of gravity of whatever truck it is going in.
xirtic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 08:01 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

I saw the hong kong part and that was why i questioned it. I am building a 1/6 jeep on a clod setup with a cpe chassis. I am also new to this so not too sure what to expect out of all these other brand batteries.
Old 09-10-2009, 08:11 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

I know everyone has their own preferences but what is the best bang for the buck battery. I would like to not spend an arm and a leg on batteries and chargers as I am finding out quickly how expensive this hobby can get.
Old 09-10-2009, 08:17 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

I used to use the Zippy packs from Hobby City....but lately I've been buying Thunder Power packs from RCLipos.com
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 08:19 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

I'm not a fan, but Zippy Lipo packs seem to be of decent quality and good punch...from what I've read.

Personaly, I run Holmes Hobbies 3 cell 1300 Lipos. The newer generation Thunder Power V2 1350 packs are nice as well.

Both of these packs fit very well on almost all crawler set ups. The issue that I see is that typicaly the less expensive Lipos are larger, and the actual lifespan can be shorter as well.

http://holmeshobbies.com/product.php...9&cat=0&page=1

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...D=THP13503SPL2
CreepyCrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 08:33 PM   #8
www.team3sixrc.com

Ohhh Boys, boys Boys!
If I said it before i'll say it again.
90% of the batteries you see on the market are made in China or Hong Kong by 2 different companies. Alot of us go by what someone else suggests, thats how we all learn. But using a stick pack like that on a Trail rig has its possibilities depending on where and how its mounted. Best way to learn is figure our if your building a 1.9 rig or a 2.2 and then check out the threads and see what everyon has built. Dont be afraid to ask anyone here questions either.

But getting back to the battery situation. about more than half of any problems you see with lipo's are brought on by user fault. the rest are just common situations that can result from a bad build or solder connection. Thats why buying from a reputable company is good to spend the extra cash, because in the long run when the battery fails or shows up bad. well a vendor generally will replace it. The other side of the coin is if you buy it really cheap from a hong kong seller on ebay. well no big loss if it sucks.

Zippies are a good line of batteries, just about anyone I know on 10+ forums I am on that use them, love them.

Bottom line, if your willing to take the chance on a battery that is cheap. you might be suprised to know its better than expected. and in case you havent figured it out, alot of mainline RC's sold here in the U.S. by these big name companies are just exact copies of stuff made and used over there. Not the other way around. RC18T is a knock off of another 18th scale sold in China.
team3six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 08:42 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

thanks for all the info guys I really appreciate all the responses. Now i just get to decide if I want to gamble or not?