Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Where to get EPA pots for TQ3 EPA mod?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2009, 09:56 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Where to get EPA pots for TQ3 EPA mod?

Hey everyone,

I recently bought some hitec 1/4 scale servos for my super to replace my towerpro servos and i want to put EPA pots on my TQ3. Now i`m wondering where to get the parts for them and what do i exactly need? (Like the names of the parts and stuff) Im guessing some where like Radio Shack may not have these parts ? Also, I know the EPA pot mod is a great thing....but is it absolutely necessary to use EPA pots with these 1/4 scale servos? I mean i do not want to burn up these servos of course but if i can get away with not doing the EPA mod then that would be great also, i just want to get my super up and running again.
ToTheMAXXcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-10-2009, 10:26 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

http://www.servocity.com/html/180o_servo_stretcher.html
lucky13offroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 10:45 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Found this in Fritobandito's postings here:
My Modded TQ3 Update - Added EPA pots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritobandito
Found a 2k pot that'll work great as the EPA pot. It's Allied stock # 3386F-1-202 on this page.
http://www.alliedelec.com/catalog/pf.asp?FN=1220.pdf
DeaDShorT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 01:39 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

The EPA mod is only needed if your servos travel too far, binding at the end points. The mod reduces travel - it doesn't increase it. Fitting a shorter servo arm also reduces steering travel.

I get all my components on eBay. Any 2K pot will work - just find one that physically fits.
clockworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 10:09 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Yea thats what i want to do, i want to limit the travel of the servo so its not fighting the linkages and the knuckles because the servo wants to go more then the knuckles can go. I heard thats what burns up the high torque servos is to have them travel more then the knuckles can handle and then it just burns up the servos. (Right?) But if i just shorten up the servo arm itself, then it will shorten up the throw of the steering itself? Myabe that will help?
Old 09-11-2009, 10:54 AM   #6
On the lookout for Rocks

RadioShack has them.
constantmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 11:36 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheMAXXcrawler View Post
Yea thats what i want to do, i want to limit the travel of the servo so its not fighting the linkages and the knuckles because the servo wants to go more then the knuckles can go. I heard thats what burns up the high torque servos is to have them travel more then the knuckles can handle and then it just burns up the servos. (Right?) But if i just shorten up the servo arm itself, then it will shorten up the throw of the steering itself? Myabe that will help?
Yes, binding at the end of the travel will kill servos.

EPA will solve the problem, as will shortening the servo arm.
Adjusting the travel on the radio (EPA) is easy, but shortening the servo arm is actually better, as it'll give you more effective torque at the wheels.
clockworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 04:28 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Yea, it will give me more torque due to the lack of distance between the link mount and the part that the servo arm screws to right? Thanks for the advise guys.....awesome stuff
Old 09-15-2009, 12:56 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Ok im running into problems finding EPA pots here locally. I think im going to recieve my 1/4 scale servos soon (atleast i think i am) and i want to run these servos till i can find some EPA pots to mod my tq3. Now is it goign to be safe to just shorten up the steering link that goes from the servo to the steering knuckle on my clod axles just for the time being? Or will i still run the risk of burning out my 1/4 scale servos due to the lack of EPA pots? Actually since i think about it, i might even upgrade my radio if i can find these pots, whats a good but cheap 3 ch. radio with EPA pots? (just for future reference)
Old 09-15-2009, 01:44 PM   #10
DBR
Quarry Creeper

Do you have any old junk radios laying around or have access to one? Rob the throttle and sterring center pots from an old radio.
DBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 04:33 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

I actually dont. :( I wish i did though Im really worried to burn these good servos up. So im guesing running the servos without pots will not be a good option then huh? This isnt a comp rig or anything, just a basher crawler.
Old 09-15-2009, 04:45 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheMAXXcrawler View Post
Ok im running into problems finding EPA pots here locally. I think im going to recieve my 1/4 scale servos soon (atleast i think i am) and i want to run these servos till i can find some EPA pots to mod my tq3. Now is it goign to be safe to just shorten up the steering link that goes from the servo to the steering knuckle on my clod axles just for the time being? Or will i still run the risk of burning out my 1/4 scale servos due to the lack of EPA pots? Actually since i think about it, i might even upgrade my radio if i can find these pots, whats a good but cheap 3 ch. radio with EPA pots? (just for future reference)

You want to mount the underlined link onto the servo arm closer to the servo spline so that the throw of the servo will be reduced. This will also give your servo added leverage on the the tires.
chevellian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 06:25 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Ok, i think i got it. I got them in today and these things are some big servos! I was actually looking at my link that goes from the servo arm to the knuckle and if i shorten it i wont get as much steering throw only when i turn the wheels right. So i might have to change my steering setup or something.
Old 09-15-2009, 07:56 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

You do not need to change the length of the linkage that connects the servo arm to the knuckle.
You simply need too move where the link is connected to the servo arm.
Attached Images

chevellian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 08:07 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Well thats what im getting at, the original one i made is still too short. When i cycle the steering from left to right, it only locks out on the left side....the right side does not turn all the way if i mount it closer to the servo splines. I`ll figure it out. I need to just remount the servo to the other side of the axle. Ive seen someone here ( i cant remember his name) but he mounted his 1/4 scale servo on the passenger side of the axle and just mounted it as low as he could. Seemed like a really nice setup for the Clod axles.