Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Tekin Hotwire Frustration!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2009, 11:14 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Tekin Hotwire Frustration!!!

I'm having trouble getting this software up and running on my laptop with Vista 64bit. Will it run on this version?

Even when I had it on my old laptop with XP it worked, but was finicky to get it to run the hotwire software.

I've downloaded the latest version to my laptop and watched Tekin's Youtube tutorial on how to load the software onto a Vista machine and I still have not had any luck.

When I click on the icon it says "destination not found"...I believe that's the warning I saw this morning (because who doesn't mess with their crawlers before leaving for work).

I wish it ran as smoothly as the Castle software I use for my Savage Flux. I had zero problems with that. I'll try to call Tekin's help line tonight.

Any suggestions?
goldmember is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-11-2009, 11:43 AM   #2
On the lookout for Rocks

I wouldn't worry about the HotWire unless you are wanting to custom set you Lipo cutoff voltage. It is very easy to program without it.
constantmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 11:50 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

i don't think it will work with 64bit OS's
Spiftacu1ar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 11:55 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by constantmotion View Post
I wouldn't worry about the HotWire unless you are wanting to custom set you Lipo cutoff voltage. It is very easy to program without it.

x2.

I have had over 5 different Tekin Fx-R's in different rigs. Only ESC I roll with.Two button setup is super easy. IMO, Hotwire is a waste of money with these esc's unless you want some crazy custom stuff.

Can't help with the OS stuff.
Szczerba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 12:09 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Unless, of course, you have other, more powerful systems for non-crawler things. E.G. The RX8 for a BL savage or truggy or something. That's why I am getting my hotwire, to set the throttle curves for the RX8.

Even though the FXR is already easy to program, hotwire will make it a wee bit easier. And for lazy farts like myself, that is good :P.
I wouldn't buy it JUST for an FXR though.

The only reason to buy it just for an fxr would be if you have it mounted in some obscure way such that you can access the reciever plug, but not the buttons. (so you would have to remove it from the truck every time you program it, which would be a complete hastle. Not sure why you would mount it like that though.

Also, straight from tekin site: http://www.teamtekin.com/hotwire.html
Windows XP and Vista32 compatible
It works not with vista 64 (with yoda voice)

Last edited by Spiftacu1ar; 09-11-2009 at 12:11 PM.
Old 09-11-2009, 12:14 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Mr Member LoL
I had a look at the hot wire page on the Tekin site & it says there that it is vista 32 compatible, now to me that would seem to suggest it will not work with the 64. If memory serves a while back they said on another forum that they were working on a compatible version for VISTA 64 bit but were having trouble with it, hopefully they will get it sorted soon.
big_boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 12:17 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Tekin's software, as mentioned will not work with 64 Bit versions of Vista.

Had a local driver had to revert to 32bit on his Vista to get it working.
binaryterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 12:52 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Well buying a hotwire is a non-issue. I already own one. Unfortunately it's with an OS not supported. When I bought the hotwire i was running XP and that laptop is dead.

Last I programmed this esc was with 100% drag brakes. I still have to pump the throttle trigger on my DX3r to get the drag brakes to work. it's not instant.

I will say, I was big fan of the Novak goat's simplicity and drag brakes. I know the Tekin is superior, but I've been trying to track down this drag brake issue from the get go. I'm running it on my scaler. I sold my 2.2 comp rig with it and went the worm axle route. No problems with the drag braking (just heat LOL).

I may sell the Tekin and hotwire and just get a simple esc for my scaler if I can't get this issue to work.
Old 09-11-2009, 01:29 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

The real reason to get the hotwire is to download the update. Much smoother Oh yeah, windows sucks Wish they would make mac compatible software
oldhippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 03:13 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

The software doesn't work on mac for the same reason it doens't work on win64. They didn't write a program / drivers. It's not windows fault.
You can use Virtual PC to run a 32bit OS within vista if you want. That should solve your problems. Virtual PC is free fyi, you jsut need the old OS you want to run. So if you have a copy of XP laying around, that might be your ticket.

RANT:
You know what I find funny, yall mac people give beef to windows for not being very compatible with old computers, and tehn applaud Apple for intentionally dropping all support for non intel macs, that means it doens't work on some macs sold 3 years ago... That doens't seem like it would be very compatible with old hardware. Either way, I use windows7, and its better than OS X, XP, or vista (or shitsta) IMO. (Yes, I have used / owned all).
/RANT
Old 09-11-2009, 03:44 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

I'm hoping to fix my xp laptop if I could get it to fully boot back up. But I haven't had luck or time. I'm really bummed about the vista64. I'm hoping to upgrade to 7 once it rolls out.

TIll then I need to figure out my drag braking problem with the Tekin and DX3r
Old 09-11-2009, 03:52 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

You can try to right click on the icon, click properties, then click on the compatibility tab. Then check the box and run it in compatibility mode with XP.
Rockcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 04:08 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

I love using hotwire for the FXR. My ESC is burried in a hole so its nice to plug and play...
crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 04:10 PM   #14
www.team3sixrc.com

A huge amount of computers say they are 64bit, but most of the time they are 32bit and 64bit capable. I have a desktop that is 64bit and it is only 32bit but 64 capable
team3six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 04:19 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockcrawler View Post
You can try to right click on the icon, click properties, then click on the compatibility tab. Then check the box and run it in compatibility mode with XP.
Has anyone had any luck with doing what Rockcrawler described above?
Old 09-11-2009, 04:58 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by team3six View Post
A huge amount of computers say they are 64bit, but most of the time they are 32bit and 64bit capable. I have a desktop that is 64bit and it is only 32bit but 64 capable
A 64bit OS is a 64bit OS. You are thinking of processor (which defines whther a computer is 32 or 64bit). If you have a 64 bit proccesor, you can run a 32bit OS or a 64bit OS (cuz the proc also supports x86 threads).
If you run a 64bit OS, you can only run 64bit software, and EMULATE 32bit software. When you run 32bit software in windows, its emulating a 32bit environment in the background. In fact, if you are runnign a 64bit OS, and you got to task manger, and click on processes, you will be able to see which processes are emualted 32bit b/c it will have "(x86)" next to the process name.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldmember View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockcrawler View Post
Has anyone had any luck with doing what Rockcrawler described above?
I haven't tried it, but I can tell you right now it won't work. Doing that will simply put the software into an emulated winXP environment. The problem beign expereince is driver related. You can't emulate a driver. So basically, the hotwire software may run, but it still won't recognize the actual hotwire device or FXR.

Honestly, the only way this is possible (other than getting your old comp working) is to dual boot, or run Virtual PC, or some other virtualization software such as VMware, which will virutalize an entire 32bit OS, allowing for 32bit drivers to be used. The virtual PC will take over the usb port, and the host OS (vista64 in this case), does not even know that usb port exists.

Last edited by Spiftacu1ar; 09-11-2009 at 05:01 PM.
Old 09-11-2009, 07:16 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

Thanks Spift. When I look into "my computer". I have two program file folders and one is a (x86). Guess I'm SOL.

Time to rethink my esc. choice.
Old 09-12-2009, 01:56 AM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldmember View Post
Thanks Spift. When I look into "my computer". I have two program file folders and one is a (x86). Guess I'm SOL.

Time to rethink my esc. choice.
It;s really not neccesary to use the hotwire to program the FX-R. I thikn your esc choice is quite fine. I got my hotwire in the mail today, btw. I thought I would be able to custom set throttle curves, but I couldn't figure out how. It had a mode for "custom curve", but I couldn't find a way to set the custom curve

All the sliders were the same 7 options you get doing manual programming. ERGO, the only advntage to hotwire is the firmware update. It took less than 1 min to do that, so you could go to a firends hosue and do it realyl quick if you REALLY need it.

I'm jsut glad i got the hotwire for more than jsu the FX-R, cuz it seems a bit of a waste JUST for teh FX-R. ALthough I haven't tested it with the new firmware. I don't see it making a huge difference considering how smooth it already is.
Old 09-18-2009, 10:18 PM   #19
www.team3sixrc.com

Ohhh, I think the hotwire is a great tool for any of the ESC's that take it. The update was a trick for me as well. There is something that you have to delete out of the program once its downloaded into you computer so you can use the updated version. I am 99.95 sure its on thier website on how to do that. I did it to mine and it worked fine after that and and gives you more options for tuning. further more you can use the hotwire no matter if you are running 32 bit or higher. you just have to run the tekin program as it is made for. I wish i could remeber how i set it up in my computer. i had the exact same issue with castle and it was the same fix as well.

Last edited by team3six; 09-18-2009 at 10:20 PM.
team3six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 10:25 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by team3six View Post
Ohhh, I think the hotwire is a great tool for any of the ESC's that take it. The update was a trick for me as well. There is something that you have to delete out of the program once its downloaded into you computer so you can use the updated version. I am 99.95 sure its on thier website on how to do that. I did it to mine and it worked fine after that and and gives you more options for tuning. further more you can use the hotwire no matter if you are running 32 bit or higher. you just have to run the tekin program as it is made for. I wish i could remeber how i set it up in my computer. i had the exact same issue with castle and it was the same fix as well.
With castle software you have to run the install as "admin"..
crash is offline   Reply With Quote