Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: converting comp PS

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2009, 08:23 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default converting comp PS

yes i read the thread (Modding a PC Power Supply into a 12 Volt Supply for your DC charger) but i will the the first to admit im dumb as shit when it comes to this.. for all i know i might as well be probed in the butt by an alien... so i sent the link to a buddy who is pretty comp smart and he said

"F*&% that, just isolate the 12v rails in the PS and hook on to those"

so me not knowing , i think this seems much simpler

any thoughts?
ultimate_monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-12-2009, 01:15 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

That post shows how to do the job properly, giving you all the options that are possible.
If you just want a simple supply to run a charger, your buddy is correct - possibly. It depends on your supply.

All you need is 2 yellow wires joined together for 12v, 2 black wires joined together for 0v. These go to your charger.
To make the power supply switch on, you join the green wire to a black wire.
If you are lucky, this is all you need to do.

Many power supplies aren't stable running like this - they need a load on the 5v output. Without it, they shut down randomly.
This is why there's a resistor added in that post. I use an auto tail light bulb to provide the load. Connect the load between a red wire and a black wire.

This is all you need to do. It'll work 100%.

The other mods are optional.
Adding a switch between the green and black wires allows you to switch the supply on and off.
Adding banana plug terminals allows you to plug in other things.
Removing the excess wires keeps it looking neat and tidy.
clockworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 03:47 AM   #3
Who's your Daddy-0!

You also need to make sure it can supply what the charger needs to charge your batteries amp wise. I just went through the same thing you are right now with hunting for a power supply for my Hyperion charger. I picked up a Competition Electronics 24amp power supply so I can charge my 6S lipos! So keep that in mind when looking for a power supply. Ask John at Holmes Hobbies, he can explain it and point you in the right direction
TattooKenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 06:19 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by clockworks View Post

All you need is 2 yellow wires joined together for 12v, 2 black wires joined together for 0v. These go to your charger.

Ummmm, i'm pretty sure connecting two of the yellow output wires will be a dead short across the rails.
ComingApart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 07:08 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComingApart View Post
Ummmm, i'm pretty sure connecting two of the yellow output wires will be a dead short across the rails.
No it won't. All the yellow wires are connected together inside the PSU, as are all the black wires, red wires, etc. This is certainly true of all normal computer PSUs. I've dismantled many of them over the years.
The reason for using 2 wires is that a single wire may not be able to handle the current of your charger.
clockworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 10:13 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

this is complcated lol i have no idea what any of you are talkin about... i'll just bring one of my car batteries inside and charge from that..... thanks for the replies tho, ill link my buddy to the page and see what he can do for me
ultimate_monkey is offline   Reply With Quote