Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: HS-225mg Bad idea for Losi Dig

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2009, 12:26 AM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Thumbs down HS-225mg Bad idea for Losi Dig

I have fried two of these $30 servos . I am running a 4PK and have set the endpoints so that I can slide the servo horn off of the servo when at both endpoints and centered.

The first servo fried when I pluged it in .

I then tried a nother servo thinking that I just got a bad one, ( which is usually my luck ).

This servo worked fine on the kitchen floor for a test run of about 3 min.

I went out to do some driving for the first time, and it wouldn't work the very first time I tried it.

This is the servo that my LHS suggested to use on the LCC. I am not sure that I will ever use a mini Hitec again.
70duncan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-13-2009, 12:32 AM   #2

i also drive the srvo in my lcc.. woks fine since 3 monts ..
Etrigor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 12:45 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

I had two of them and niether would act like they were supposed to ,borrowd a freinds same thing . Got one from someone else worked fine. smoked a few on a dna dig as well ,not a fan at all! End points were set as well .Two of them would go fine forward but would return to center and pull the shaft back really slow , like three or four seconds to get to the stopping point ,as well the would be jerking while they were moving.
alabamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 12:52 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Had the same problem on my LLC with that servo and a HS81MG, I've got a Hobbico in their right now, but I think that's a HiTec too.
BJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 12:58 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

I am thinking of trying a steering servo off of the MRC. Any one think that is a bad idea?

I might also try a futaba servo, but don't know what one.
Old 09-13-2009, 12:59 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etrigor View Post
i also drive the srvo in my lcc.. woks fine since 3 monts ..
Glad to hear that you are having good luck with it . I guess that I need some of that good luck .
Old 09-13-2009, 01:09 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

I've always used Hitec servos in my cars and planes - never had a failure. I must have about 30 Hitec servos in various models.
No HS-225s, but plenty of HS-55s, 2 7950 and 2 55xx.

2 things can burn out a servo - too high a voltage and bad EPA.

What voltage are you using? I keep these smaller servos powered from the ESC, rather than through an external CC BEC.

I don't have a dig, but some of the servo mounting arrangements that I've seen are pretty poor. If the servo mount can move, relative to the dig unit, that's a recipe for disaster. The end point will keep moving as you drive, and the servo will fail as it tries to hold it's place against a continually moving linkage.
clockworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 01:35 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

I have had good results with my 5955tg in my super. I am getting ready to replace them with 1/4 scale, but only so I will be able to use them in my scaler projects.

Yes, the servo mount moving could be very bad for the servo. So I checked that be for I started using the Losi. I just have not heard of very many people being able to keep this particular servo working in the LCC, for what ever reason.:?
I am using the CCBEC but I set it at 5.8v even though the servo can take 6.0v.

This has been a little frustrating, I want to compete in my first 2.2 comp this next weekend, but the LCC needs the dig to work in order to be competitive. I hope I will be able to figure something out.

I am currently the points leader in the Super class, so I thought I would try my hand in the 2.2 class.
Old 02-13-2010, 10:05 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

hey man i just fried two 225 also in pretty pissed right now
samdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 11:05 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Thought I'd throw this out there to see if it helps any of you guys. Radio's with a fast frame rate will fry non digital servo's, I tried a 82mg on my Eritex dig. It fried as soon as I plugged it in and turned the truck on, didn't even have a servo horn on it, just started twitching back and forth and let the smoke out. Turned out my radio (KO PRO EX-5UR) has a fast non adjustable frame rate and requires digital servo's. I know that DX3R's have an adjustable frame rate and will smoke em also if the rate isn't turned down. I'm not sure about the Futuba PK's but I would assume there pretty fast to since thier designed for racing, I would think they would also have a frame rate adjustment too since they have so many options.

I ended up using a Futuba S9650, a mini digital thats designed for 1/12 scale pan cars. I think it's somewhere around 70 in lb and super fast, I haven't had any issue's with it. Not sure if it'll fit the losi or not, but the 225 being non-digital could be some of your guys issue's.
indiana mudcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 11:14 PM   #11
RCC Addict

Thats weird i never fried mine. It was working great but couldn't say the same for the losi cvd's
Flyin Hawaiian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 01:33 AM   #12
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by indiana mudcat View Post
Thought I'd throw this out there to see if it helps any of you guys. Radio's with a fast frame rate will fry non digital servo's, I tried a 82mg on my Eritex dig. It fried as soon as I plugged it in and turned the truck on, didn't even have a servo horn on it, just started twitching back and forth and let the smoke out. Turned out my radio (KO PRO EX-5UR) has a fast non adjustable frame rate and requires digital servo's. I know that DX3R's have an adjustable frame rate and will smoke em also if the rate isn't turned down. I'm not sure about the Futuba PK's but I would assume there pretty fast to since thier designed for racing, I would think they would also have a frame rate adjustment too since they have so many options.

I ended up using a Futuba S9650, a mini digital thats designed for 1/12 scale pan cars. I think it's somewhere around 70 in lb and super fast, I haven't had any issue's with it. Not sure if it'll fit the losi or not, but the 225 being non-digital could be some of your guys issue's.
I was gonna mention the same thing. I've even had trouble with digi hitecs when my futaba radio was set to the higher framerate (HRS mode with the 3PM, high speed setting on the 4PK) It's not like a higher frame rate is a huge benefit for crawling anyways, I just leave all my stuff on the lower speed.

Also, the guy at my LHS is a airplane guy, he swears hitec mini servos are absolute garbage and uses nothing but futaba. Of course the guy at another LHS says he's lost a few planes to futaba servos, so who knows Hitec servos have always treated me well and theirs are always my first choice, but I've really never had any mini servos, only standard size and 1/4 scale.

Also, I think several denver guys are using MRC steering servos for dig in LCC's and having really good luck with them. I won't swear by it, but it's worth a try, especially if you have one lying around

Last edited by chrisjlittle; 02-14-2010 at 01:37 AM.
chrisjlittle is offline   Reply With Quote