Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Will this work? Dewalt 18v motor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2009, 09:32 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Will this work? Dewalt 18v motor

I have 2 of these drills. opened one up today and saw that it is just a simple motor. Will this work in an RC? will i be able to use my speed control in place of the trigger/forward reverse mechanism?

I know i will have to use the 18v battery pack, but will this harm the servos or can they handle the extra juice? any input would be greatly appreciated. thanks!

savagefromthesprings is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-13-2009, 09:34 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

oh, and the battery isnt bad, those are my initials. ha.
Old 09-13-2009, 09:41 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

i dunno about using it in the wk
but i know some e-revo guys and e-maxx guys use dewalt 750 and ect. size motors
and btw
you have awesome initials lol
life_livin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 09:42 PM   #4
TEAM MODERATOR

If you search the archives on RCC,you'll see that we used to do that back in the day. No reason at all it won't work. Can't say it's a good upgrade,but it will work.

That motor is designed to run on 18 volts. On an 8 cell pack or even a 3 cell lipo it'll be slow.
Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 10:03 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

well, the idea is that i want to build a big crawler. i dont know whether it would be classified as a 1/5 scale or what. im new to rc crawlers, but its fun tinkering with it!

why would it be a bad upgrade? wouldnt it have more torque? my main question is, would it work with my speed controller and servos? and as far as the battery concern, i was planning on using the 18 volt battery it comes with.
Old 09-13-2009, 10:06 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by life_livin View Post
i dunno about using it in the wk
but i know some e-revo guys and e-maxx guys use dewalt 750 and ect. size motors
and btw
you have awesome initials lol
its actually a crawler king but its the same thing.. how did you know what it was? the only thing still original is the tranny and axles.
Old 09-13-2009, 10:17 PM   #7
TEAM MODERATOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by savagefromthesprings View Post
well, the idea is that i want to build a big crawler. i dont know whether it would be classified as a 1/5 scale or what. im new to rc crawlers, but its fun tinkering with it!

why would it be a bad upgrade? wouldnt it have more torque? my main question is, would it work with my speed controller and servos? and as far as the battery concern, i was planning on using the 18 volt battery it comes with.
If all your into is just tinkering with these crawlers and having fun with them,then you may have good luck with them. The "Can't say it's a good upgrade...." comment was based solely on the fact that there's better performing options out there,specially for a competition rig. If your not into chasing gates,try it out,have fun with it,you may like it.

More torque? May do it....but you'll sacrifice any wheel speed which can be very helpful in a competition rig as well as just a basher. There are options out there that have more than enough power and wheel speed combined.

To answer your question directly though,yes,it can work just like any other motor.
Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 10:17 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

lol it may be slow, but yea, if u solder it right and it should crawl like a beast
shadowrejects is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 05:20 AM   #9
On the lookout for Rocks

If you are planning on using the XL-5 in the pictures.....18V will let out the white ghost. That ESC can only handle 9.6V.
constantmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 04:56 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

I ran a DEWAL* drill motor in a REVO that i converted i used a HV NOVAK ESC and two 6 cell or two 7 cell packs it went together well. That motor is rated for 36 volts dc the only problem i ever had, running the rest of the revo stock, was if it binds a wheel them big ole fat plastic axels will twist like butter. So there was plenty of torque. you are building a crawler so don't expect more than 15-18mph but that should go without saying. Make sure you mount as low as possible because that motor is Heavy
D_Frawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 05:03 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

thanks for the info guys. i think im gonna use both of the motors on my super project. one for the front axle and one for the rear.
Old 09-15-2009, 05:08 PM   #12
Rock Stacker

after some trial and error i mounted a savage transmission and that motor on its side to get it lower i liked the independant suspension. It will work if you want it to bad enough. The only thing i that I didn't like was, my on road LIPO was charging and it Melted down my 1:1 Accord with my crawler in the trunk. i pulled that motor out of the wreckage an hooked it to a battery IT still SPUN I don't know how but it did.
D_Frawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 05:28 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

The only thing i that I didn't like was, my on road LIPO was charging and it Melted down my 1:1 Accord with my crawler in the trunk. [/QUOTE]

WOW What some luck.
poorboyrc77 is offline   Reply With Quote