Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: FXR Overheating/glitch? Please help!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2009, 05:24 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default FXR Overheating/glitch? Please help!

Please help!

The lipo stays cool, motor gets pretty hot, FXR gets pretty hot.

After about 2 packs ( 1000mah) it goes into thermal protection mode? Then all hell brakes lose, and the servos go crazy and the spektrum flashes on and off. I'm assuming this is all occuring due to FXR thermal protection and it cutting the power on and off to the Spektrum?

The new factor is the 3 cell lipo from a 8 cell hump. Do I need to gear down futher. I also have the lower gear set in the rear axle.

Hardware:

FXR
3 cell lipo
Castle BEC ( wired direct to Hitec HS-7950TH ) 7.4 volt setting
Spektrum receiver ( powered by FXR)
Hitec HS-82MG dig servo
Warrior 35 turn w/ 87/14 gearing on Axial trans

Thanks for any help you can give
Rocks R. Good is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-16-2009, 06:51 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Isn't there a lipo setting for the FXR ? Did you change the settings when you changed the battery ??
poorboyrc77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 07:21 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Check to be sure that you soldered up the CAP correctly on the FX-R. The side marked with a blue stripe is negative...this is generaly what causes overheating and shutdown with a dual servo configuration.

I'm guessing it's your wiring set up though. I run my BEC according to Castle specs, and have no issues. I'm using a 45T Epic Creepy, 7955TG and 5245MG digital servos, and Holmes 1300 3 cell Lipos with stock 14/87 gearing.

I have my BEC set at 6 volts (not sure what you mean by 7.4 setting on yours)

If it's the FX-R that you're refering to with the 7.4 setting, change it to 11.1 since that's what you're using.

And if you don't have it already, pick up the Hot Wire USB for the Tekin...makes life easier for set up

All else fails, some good reading...

Kaetwo's Tekin FX-R Review...

Last edited by CreepyCrawl; 09-16-2009 at 07:25 AM.
CreepyCrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 07:50 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

The 7.4 volts is for the servo it is one of Hitecs new high voltage servos the 7.4 is coming out of the bec feeding the servo.
landon4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 09:39 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Hi
Well the easiest thing is to gear down to a 12t pinion and see how hot the FXR and motor are after 2 packs (same conditions as before w/14t pinion) .
If it still is too hot, I'd say you have binding of some sort maybe a blown bearing, not likely as your lipo is cool.
hope this helps
big_boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 03:33 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by poorboyrc77 View Post
Isn't there a lipo setting for the FXR ? Did you change the settings when you changed the battery ??

The setting is for voltage cutoff, I believe. Yes I have it set for 3 cell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreepyCrawl View Post
Check to be sure that you soldered up the CAP correctly on the FX-R. The side marked with a blue stripe is negative...this is generaly what causes overheating and shutdown with a dual servo configuration.

I'm guessing it's your wiring set up though. I run my BEC according to Castle specs, and have no issues. I'm using a 45T Epic Creepy, 7955TG and 5245MG digital servos, and Holmes 1300 3 cell Lipos with stock 14/87 gearing.

I have my BEC set at 6 volts (not sure what you mean by 7.4 setting on yours)

If it's the FX-R that you're refering to with the 7.4 setting, change it to 11.1 since that's what you're using.

And if you don't have it already, pick up the Hot Wire USB for the Tekin...makes life easier for set up

All else fails, some good reading...

Kaetwo's Tekin FX-R Review...

Yes, i double checked the negative side of the cap is correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by landon4 View Post
The 7.4 volts is for the servo it is one of Hitecs new high voltage servos the 7.4 is coming out of the bec feeding the servo.

Correct, I have the steering servo direct to the BEC and set at 7.4 volts.

The FXR feeds the spektrum and in turn supplies the micro dig servo 50Lb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_boss View Post
Hi
Well the easiest thing is to gear down to a 12t pinion and see how hot the FXR and motor are after 2 packs (same conditions as before w/14t pinion) .
If it still is too hot, I'd say you have binding of some sort maybe a blown bearing, not likely as your lipo is cool.
hope this helps
I was going to try gearing down to a 12t and then I have a 10t. I was thinking this would be a common problem with something I was or didn't use.
Well I guess I'll see what a gearing change does.

Any other ideas?

Thanks guys
Old 09-16-2009, 05:02 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

If it worked OK with the 8-cell pack, but is overheating with the 3s pack, I'd try disconnecting the dig servo. It's possible that the ESC BEC is struggling to drop the higher voltage from the LiPo down to 5v, causing the ESC to overheat and shut down.

The motor will naturally run hotter with the higher voltage. I wouldn't expect to have to gear down. Is the motor in good condition - good brushes and comm? If the motor is seriously overheating, the comm will have a purplish tinge.
clockworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 08:20 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

did you make sure the cap is on the battery post on the esc? i had mine on the motor side, and it worked but would heat up and would shut down...
TANK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 08:58 PM   #9
Relaxed !

smaller dig servo! the esc bec sucks! the motor is drawing too much for the esc bec to keep up, also be sure the red wire is disconnected per cc directions and last gear down if needed. i'm runnin twin 45 hw, jr 9100 and a punk dig with no problems on a single fxr. 3s 1700
sococrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 05:51 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by clockworks View Post
If it worked OK with the 8-cell pack, but is overheating with the 3s pack, I'd try disconnecting the dig servo. It's possible that the ESC BEC is struggling to drop the higher voltage from the LiPo down to 5v, causing the ESC to overheat and shut down.

The motor will naturally run hotter with the higher voltage. I wouldn't expect to have to gear down. Is the motor in good condition - good brushes and comm? If the motor is seriously overheating, the comm will have a purplish tinge.

I'll try without dig servo.

Motor condition unknown? Not sure about the comm or the brushes. I have never taken apart one of these motors, so... I guess I'll do some searching.

Thanks
Old 09-17-2009, 05:55 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANK View Post
did you make sure the cap is on the battery post on the esc? i had mine on the motor side, and it worked but would heat up and would shut down...

Double checked and the cap is correct!
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by sococrawler View Post
smaller dig servo! the esc bec sucks! the motor is drawing too much for the esc bec to keep up, also be sure the red wire is disconnected per cc directions and last gear down if needed. i'm runnin twin 45 hw, jr 9100 and a punk dig with no problems on a single fxr. 3s 1700
Smaller dig servo? I'm using a 50lb. micro?

The FXR is only running the Dig servo. BEC runs the steering servo only and at 7.4 volts.

Do I need the FXR Pro? I only have the FXR ?
Old 09-17-2009, 07:18 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Your running almost my same setup. Something seems fishy. I have even run 18t pinions and not had any issues with over heating. Your BEC wired directly to your servo should not be a problem at all. The ESC running that dig servo shouldn't be a problem either. There is another setting on that thing for voltage. I forget what it is because I don't have a manual handy. When you run nimh batterys the setting is turned off. But when you run lipo you have to turn it on. Its not the same setting as the lipo cutoff though which you should have set for 3s but I think you already know that.

Ok did a little digging but I can't find it. I know the setting is the current limiter which is led 3 in quick tune mode. You can turn it off for nimh or adjust for 1-11. I think with lipo it has to be turned on but I can't find it in the manual. Try backing that off and running it and see what happens.
AlmstEvil665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 12:20 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Ok, after reading 7 pages of threads on FXR, I've come to this conclusion.
The FXR will not run a servo ( even a 50lb. micro) without a BEC if your using a 3 cell Lipo. According to most threads, if your running 3 cell the stock BEC that comes with most ESC's will not work with the extra voltage from a 3 cell.

So from all of this I seem to have two choices.

One choice is to run 2 BEC one for my steering servo (set at 7.4 volts) and the second to the Receiver/DIG servo ( set at 6 volts)

Choice two is two put my servo down to 6 volts and not get my full 486 oz.:-(

Can anyone else confirm this is what is going on? I think I'll put a second BEC on and find out.:?
Old 09-20-2009, 01:27 PM   #14
RCC Addict

No, you can power your Rx and DIG servo off the ESC's 3A BEC. Those do not need the high current of a monster steering servo. That way you will just need the one external BEC for the steering servo.

The difference between the FXR and FXR Pro is that the pro can go down to a 5 turn motor.
AreCee is offline   Reply With Quote