Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: FXR Reverse Strenght?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2009, 09:56 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default FXR Brake Strenght?

Is it just me or is the FXR brake like a on/off switch? No matter how easy I get on the brake it just locks up the tires and sends my truck end-over downhill.

The Drag Brake is awsome, but I would like to set my DB to a softer setting and use the brake for cutting speeds on decent. The neutral width is also a bit large, it makes the response feel 'laggy'.

I know that to engage the brake I must hit it with-in one sec or I'll be in reverse. I can always compensate by running a higher DB setting but I'm not always on a hill where I want to stop when I let off the throttle, and push control isn't an option as it just delays the DB.

Im running it in a SCX10 with a 35t and 3s lipo with a DX 2.0. Its really fustrating to just try and 'tap' the brakes only to get the result of my truck tumbling down a huge granite wall. . .

Edit: My title is wrong, I am talking about brake strenght.

Drunk

Last edited by DrunkDriver; 09-17-2009 at 08:33 AM. Reason: Made a booboo
DrunkDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-16-2009, 10:27 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

The hotwire will let you program all of that very easily. Otherwise, you have to use the two buttons and should be able to adjust them to some degree as well.

SS
salmonshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 10:33 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

I use the higher drag-brake setting and program the FXR to go to reverse immediatally, No brakes-----Less throttle = brakes.

Not sure why it would matter if your on a hill or not when you want to stop.
chevellian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 10:41 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Check the manual on the FXR and try playing with the increment button. I guess from setting 1(softer) up to 5 or 6 which is the strongest. Its a matter of trial and error.
CHRIZAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 05:21 AM   #5
RCC Addict

I just got my FXR's and hotwire because i heard they had better drag brake than the castle's. I'll have to play with the hotwire if they are that strong.
Culetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 08:01 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrunkDriver View Post
Is it just me or is the FXR brake like a on/off switch? No matter how easy I get on the brake it just locks up the tires and sends my truck end-over downhill.

The Drag Brake is awsome, but I would like to set my DB to a softer setting and use the brake for cutting speeds on decent. The neutral width is also a bit large, it makes the response feel 'laggy'.

I know that to engage the brake I must hit it with-in one sec or I'll be in reverse. I can always compensate by running a higher DB setting but I'm not always on a hill where I want to stop when I let off the throttle, and push control isn't an option as it just delays the DB.

Im running it in a SCX10 with a 35t and 3s lipo with a DX 2.0. Its really fustrating to just try and 'tap' the brakes only to get the result of my truck tumbling down a huge granite wall. . .

Drunk
I think you are confusing brakes and drag brake. The fxr doesn't have brakes (trigger in reverse) in the instant reverse/crawler mode. It goes into reverse. The drag brake slows/stops the motor in neutral. If you hit reverse on the trigger thinking it is brakes you will flip because the motor goes in reverse. It is all about smooth trigger control on those granite walls.
oldhippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 08:58 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevellian View Post
I use the higher drag-brake setting and program the FXR to go to reverse immediatally, No brakes-----Less throttle = brakes.

Not sure why it would matter if your on a hill or not when you want to stop.
My FXR is set to the default setting, which is trigger forward activates the brakes, once trigger has been in neutral for 1 sec then trigger forward activates reverse. It matters alot, I broke a few parts when my truck tumbled 50ft down a granite rock face.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRIZAD View Post
Check the manual on the FXR and try playing with the increment button. I guess from setting 1(softer) up to 5 or 6 which is the strongest. Its a matter of trial and error.
There is no adjustment for strenght of the brakes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhippie View Post
I think you are confusing brakes and drag brake. The fxr doesn't have brakes (trigger in reverse) in the instant reverse/crawler mode. It goes into reverse. The drag brake slows/stops the motor in neutral. If you hit reverse on the trigger thinking it is brakes you will flip because the motor goes in reverse. It is all about smooth trigger control on those granite walls.
I am not confused, the fxr does have brakes. I explained that I am not using the instant reverse setting. I am trying to run a lighter DB setting so that the truck will coast a little on the downhill, and use the LEGIT REAL BRAKE to make the complete stop. But when I engage the brake it just goes full bore and locks up the wheels, but DOES NOT go into reverse.

I am running this in a scaler, not a comp rig. Sometimes I do want to go fast on flat surfaces without the high DB setting so when I do let off the throttle my truck doesn't just lock up. I have tryed messing with the push control setting but it just isn't good because it just delays the DB, so the molment I get back on the rocks I have a laggy set up.

My Novak Rooster had fantastic brakes, but it can't handle the 3s lipo's I'm running. If someone could just tell me if brake strenght is customizable with the hotwire I would know what to do.

Drunk
Old 09-17-2009, 09:05 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by salmonshark View Post
The hotwire will let you program all of that very easily. Otherwise, you have to use the two buttons and should be able to adjust them to some degree as well.

SS
There is no way to adjust the strenght of the brakes with the buttons on the esc. Are you sure that you can adjust the Brake strenght profile with the hotwire? I am not talking about the Drag Brake.

Thanks to all for the time.

Drunk
Old 09-17-2009, 09:10 AM   #9
Pebble Pounder

You can adjust brake strength via the Hotwire. There are 2 options - Brake Strenght and Drag Brake.
SS
salmonshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 09:24 AM   #10
Relaxed !

Quote:
You can adjust brake strength via the Hotwire. There are 2 options - Brake Strenght and Drag Brake.
SS

X2 have done it many times
sococrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 09:34 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

You are using the delayed rev. setting.

I think you should try the Fwd-instant Rev. setting (no delay).

Its really hard to use the brake feature in a crawler, Just trust the drag brakes !
toytech93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 11:15 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by sococrawler View Post
X2 have done it many times
Thanks!

I know I can just use the drag brake, but thats not the goal, this is more than just a crawler, it goes fast too Love the esc, and 3s Lipo is stupid fast

Drunk
Old 09-17-2009, 10:53 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

You can always control the "travel" of the brakes with your radio. My DX3R lets me control the % of brakes just like D/R steering. It works great on my nitros and Slash. Just another wrench to throw into the problem!
chops1sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 11:09 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by chops1sc View Post
You can always control the "travel" of the brakes with your radio. My DX3R lets me control the % of brakes just like D/R steering. It works great on my nitros and Slash. Just another wrench to throw into the problem!
x2 having a good remote with a lot of adjustments helps get rid of a lot of tuning problems. then you only need to get your esc close and the fine tuning can be done on the remote.
dub599 is offline   Reply With Quote