Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: BEC for Futaba MC330cr

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2005, 03:31 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default BEC for Futaba MC330cr

not finding the thread if there is one. my search words may be wrong

does anyone know the BEC amp. for this ESC?

is it good enough to run a lathe motor and a hitec 645 steering servo?

i have an OEM version and was wondering if it would work, at least temporarily till i can get a rebel2
xtremraptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-29-2005, 07:30 AM   #2
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

i would wager it to be 1 amp or 1.5 amp. It will work, but not as well as the rebel.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 08:43 AM   #3
2006 2.2 National Champ

It'll work fine with one 55t motor and one 645mg. I ran a MC230cr for awhile with a 55t motor and a 945mg, without any issues. Then, I got brave and hooked two 945mgs to it, and it cooked the ESC.
BENDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 11:21 AM   #4
Rock Stacker

I run this exact ESC in my TLT with Hobbico CS70 servo and it works great and is VERY small (about 1/3 the size of the super rooster. Futaba lists the BEC only as 6 volts, but I emailed tech support and they told me it was 6 volts 3 Amps. It has a double-pump reverse that may take a little getting used to.

Kelly
KSchweikert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 02:33 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

yeah i have run the ESC in the Stampede i just built up. the reverse was a little weird at first. but i have gotten used to it some. it is small that's why i was hopping it was gonna work. won it of EBAY for $35.

almost thinking i am gonna have to sell the Stampede to fund the crawler. i started checking out this forum a couple of months ago now i've got the crawler bug. you guys are some very creative guys.

'bout 1/3 the way through my project. just finished the chasis today.

more searching and reading to do. thanx for the info
Old 11-29-2005, 05:02 PM   #6
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

3 amps for that little guy? thats pretty impressive!
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 08:07 AM   #7
Rock Stacker

I couldn't believe it put out 6 volts 3 Amps either, even after Futaba told me it did, but it seems too. I ran it in my first "crawler" with 2 stock 27 turn motors and 2 Traxxas 2055 steering servos with only the occasional hiccup during a couple of hot summer months. Two 27 turn motors in parallel really pushes the 13 turn rating of the ESC and it did tend to get hot. It was much happier in my TLT with a 55 turn motor and one CS70 servo. Another one of the locals here (Matt) crawls with a MC230 ESC he took out of his touring car. I'm not sure what the BEC is on the MC230, but Matt was running a 27 turn motor and 2 CS70 servos with it.

Kelly

Last edited by KSchweikert; 12-02-2005 at 08:11 AM.
Old 01-11-2006, 02:01 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

alright. after getting my truck all together and getting to run it here in the house a little i have noticed a flaw in this ESC.

forward throttle responce is very good. when you hit the throttle it accelerates smoothly and slowly in forward. you can move with just a light touch of the trigger. this seems to work great.

the reverse function however is not very good. to get it into reverse you have to hit the brakes, then release and then hit the reverse. i can only imagine that if you have the truck in a certain situation this will cause problems.

not only that but when it does kick into reverse it seems to be all or nothing. it will kick right in and jump backwards. now i really think this will cause problems. imagine "you only want to drop back an inch, you hit reverse and next thing you now your off the rock and rolling down the hill."

those of you running this ESC, how have you worked with this?

do i maybe have the motor wired backwards? i put red to + and black to -

would reversing the throttle function help do you think?

i run a 55t integy lathe motor, looks like in has adjustable timing. would changing the timing help here?
Old 01-11-2006, 07:44 AM   #9
Rock Stacker

I'll admit the double-pump reverse takes a bit of getting used to. I first tried the 330 with a stick radio and had trouble modulating reverse (it seemed like it was all or noting). Evidently I was moving the stick too far on the second pump (sounds kinda dirty doesn't it?) and the ESC was doing exactly what I was telling it to by making the truck jump backwards. If I slowly moved the stick the truck would move slowly backwards. Once I switched to a pistol radio the double-pump reverse really wasn't an issue. I run this ESC in both my TLT crawlers now with no problems.

Another plus I noticed is that the ESC came already programmed to run with Futaba electronics so it was just a "plug and play" deal with my reciever and I didn't even need to hit the setup button.

Kelly
Old 01-11-2006, 03:57 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

i can't find my pamphlet for the ESC. but can it be run with the 70/30 setting on the traxxas tq3? i'm gonna look it up on the web site so if i find it i'll post it up
Old 01-11-2006, 07:30 PM   #11
Oppan Gangnam Style

i have been running both a 330 and a 230 for quite a while. just run it for a while and you will get the feel of the throttle (forward and reverse).
chino63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 01:19 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

i had no luck finding anything on the 70/30 setting. i guess i'll just have to give it a try.

thanx for the comments...