Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Servo and Receiver Recommendations

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2009, 09:28 PM   #1

Default Servo and Receiver Recommendations

Please forgive the newbie question - after some searches I'm still trying to figure out the best combo.

I'm not a comp guy yet. I'm scratch building with a Reign chassis, Axial Trans and TLT axles.

I'm now looking for radio Tx, Rx, and Rx batteries.

Looks like a Futaba 3PM-X 3 is one way to go. I've had good experience with Futaba so I think this is a done deal. For servo looks like most use a Hitec 645. I can go this way but was thinking to just going with Futaba high torque metal gear equivalent.

Good idea? Or bad - and I should switch over to Hitec 645?

And for Rx battery? If I go with the futaba RX and a 4.8V Futaba battery... something tells me this is not enough steering power.

So what experience can the board share? Something tells me to go with Hitec 645 and buy a battery to power it? Recommendations?

Thanks very much for any replies!
Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-22-2009, 09:32 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

what esc/motor/battery are you planning?
DiabloPres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 09:36 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

If you want brushed, go with a Castle Sidewinder or Tekin FX-R esc. A good 45-55 turn motor (Novak or Integy make great motors). A Castle BEC, and a 2s or 3s Lipo battery. For Brushless, you can't beat the Novak Goat system, especially since the new ones will handle a 3s Lipo. This will give you plenty of power to the wheels as well as good consistent power to your servo. Again, go with the Hitec servo over the TowerPro.
DiabloPres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 01:03 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

You don't need an Rx battery. You can use one if you want, but with electric RC, the Rx and servos are normally powered from the main battery.

There's a circuit built into the speed control (ESC) that regulates the main battery voltage down to 5v, then feeds it to the Rx. This is called the Battery Eliminator Circuit (BEC), and is fine for normal RC race cars.
For crawlers, where more servo power is needed, many people fit an external BEC. The one made by Castle has an adjustable voltage, so is very popular.

The Hitec 645 is the absolute minimum that you can get away with. Get the most powerful servo that you can afford. The Hitec 7950 or 7955 are good choices. I'm sure that Futaba do something similar, but you can use any brand you like. A high torque figure is what you are looking for, rather than speed.
clockworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 07:47 PM   #5

OK - to reply to all so far. And to thank you for the info.

I have a Tekin FXPro, Integy 55t, and max amps lipo. So as I understand from all above posts I have what I need for battery and power routing to the steeringf servo. Now I need to choose a servo. From your posts looks like I need to look for a 645 or better torque rated servo. i'll have a look at the 7950/55 as a reference and see if I can find a futaba look alike.

I greatly appreciate the help. I've been in RC for a while but not cars and not electric. Plus I get almost no time to work on this. So my little project moves slowly.

But I'l get there - thanks again to all.
Old 09-23-2009, 09:15 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Take a good look at the Futaba 3PM-MX Tx. If you are only going 3 channels, this is a great remote that has a lot of features for many applications. Just my two cents.

SS
salmonshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 04:53 PM   #7

SS - thanks - this does seem to be popping up here in the threads. I appreciate the recommendation. W