Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: School Me Really Quick On BEC's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2009, 03:29 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default School Me Really Quick On BEC's

Ok so Im looking at my CCBEC NIP thats been sitting on the shelf for 6mths, and my winter issue RCC mag with JRH wonderful write up on electronic basics for crawling.

In the directions that come in the package from CC they show a diagram wiring the BEC power wires to the main packs and plug the other end directly to the receiver, and unplugging the power wires from the ESC to the reciever.

In Johns write up he shows to wire the BEC power wires to the main pack, and then splice directly into the servo and to run only the signal wire from the servo to the reciever.

Im not a noob by any means but this (believe it or not) is the first time Ive used a BEC.

What to do???

BTW, the rig is a 1/10th scaler based MRC. Stock elect, 180oz @ 6v full size servo, two main packs wired in parallel (the stock Losi which I believe was 1100ma & a 1600ma Orion, both 7.2 obviously), and a HH Torqumaster Mini.

Much TIA, Jon
RANOVRU is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-27-2009, 03:42 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

I have always setup mine following the directions given by Castle and have never had any issues...
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 03:58 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

The more I look at both diagrams the more Im thinking its just two different ways of doing the same thing....

Still, Id like to know IF theres any difference between the two methods.
Old 09-27-2009, 03:59 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

You are probably correct.

I'd imagine that there is slightly less resistance if you wire them directly into your servo (shorter wires)....however, since you cut the plug on the BEC, you wont be able to reprogram it any more...
Old 09-27-2009, 04:09 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Have you ever used the optional USB cable to reprom the BEC? How difficult is that?? Cost???
Old 09-27-2009, 04:13 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Ahhhh....I just realized if you only have a two channel reciever I think you have to you Johns method. The CC tech would require at least a 3 channel...
Old 09-27-2009, 04:14 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

I use the Castle Link ALL the time. I bought one and most of the guys in my club use it as well. The BEC comes programmed for 5.1V (unless the vendor changed it). The program is very easy to use. Just plug the cable into the connector of your BEC and then plug it into a USB on your computer. Start up the program and select the voltage that you want from the drop down menu (it gives the voltages in 0.1V increments). If you have other CC products, you can use the Castle Link on those as well. The link is VERY helpful and, IIRC, only cost ~$20.
Old 09-27-2009, 10:41 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RANOVRU View Post
Ahhhh....I just realized if you only have a two channel reciever I think you have to you Johns method. The CC tech would require at least a 3 channel...

there's always a third batt slot on a two channel rx (or 4th on a 3 channel), thats how a nitro gets its power.
indiana mudcat is offline   Reply With Quote