Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Smoked motor, how many times?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2009, 05:56 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Smoked motor, how many times?

got a quick question, searched didnt find a satisfactory answer.
Setup:
LCC
Sidewinder esc
castle BEC
35t integy motor pinion 14t
3cell lipo
losi dig servo
JR9100T servo

was out on the maiden voyage today, ran two battery packs really well. Ran the third pack pretty constant than the magic smoke came out of the motor. Immediatly disconnected the batt and ESC. Motor cooled to touch and seems to be ok. What is the negative of this? and how many times can this happen til its junk.\
I have a Fantom Team stock motor (27t) that had a small amount of smoke a few years ago from being over geared. Took it apart today and it seems pretty good. Is this motor good? Geared to 13 tooth it should be ok in my LCC. a little guidence would be great. IF all else fails i will go to the titan 21t. thanks in advance
xgerstandtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-27-2009, 06:18 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

The motor will still work, just not as good as before. I did that to my novak 55t and I just smoked my integy tonight. You could try to clean the comm and replace the brushes, but it still wont be as good as before.
theslowguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 07:14 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

My buddy has gone through 3 Traxxas Titan 21T motors in his LCC. Seems to be on track with yours...about every third pack with each one smoked.

He's running the suggested gearing, broke the wormies in with a drill, did the shims and the lube, but he still can't seem to hold a motor.

He ordered a Tekin RS 17.5 which seems to be one of the choice set ups for the Losi. Not an inexpensive option, but the $20 Titans add up if you're dropping a new one in every run!
CreepyCrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 08:27 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

I've put a Trinity Monster Maxx 21t i mine and it does get hot, but have yet to smoke it!
BJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 09:47 PM   #5
RCC Addict

the brushless is a silly price when i can do a total moa convert with a punk dig for less. But i do see how it is a good option.
the 21t monstermaxx is the motor i was trying to remember, maybe ill hunt them down are they still produced?
xgerstandtx is offline   Reply With Quote