Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: battery advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2005, 03:57 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default battery advice

looking for opinions on what batteries to run. non-comp txt based crawler, gd600, single stock motor, (2) 1/4 scale cs-80 servos. tq3 with rebel 2 ESC. looking to try to get at least 1 hour run times.

what size battery pack(s) would you run to accomplish this? if your setup is similar, what are you running and what kind of run times are you getting?

thanks.
87JeepWrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-06-2005, 04:47 PM   #2
TEAM MODERATOR

One drawback to your set up is the two 1/4 scales,they draw alot of power. You'll need a good rec. pack for them,run'em straight off your main pack or get a regulator. I'm running a OLD GP3300 6 cell pack on my Twin. My set up....65 turn hand wound motor,GD600 3.8,16 or 17 tooth pinion,72 tooth spur and 8 1/2" LST's turned by one 1/4 scale and a rec pack. I'm getting around 25 minutes,pretty pathetic IMHO. I too would like to get about an hour. I seen 4 boxes of 6 new 3700 cells hid in the closet. My wifes probly got me and my son these for a Christmas present. I'd guess these will boost our run times some.

I'm seriously thinking of trying a better motor. Look in the "best crawling motor thread. Theres a few motors talked about that are suposedly supost to have ALOT more torque and are more efficent than a lathe motor. How much more efficent is what we're not sure of yet. I don't know alot about these little electric motors so I'm talking with a couple guys to see which might be the best. I want to make sure I'm getting the right motor for me since they are near $100 a pop. Should have a test or some better info soon.

I believe your on the right track though. One thing I learned the hard way when I first got into electric RC's,a good charger and good batteries are worth their weight in gold. They can make ALL the difference in the world.
Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 04:52 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Didn't you already have a thread just like this? I see it is gone now, and a new one has replaced it at the top of the list...

One stick pack will be fine with standard servos. I can't give you an estimate on runtime, as a lot of depends on your driving style and where you run it - but with a stock motor, and the GD600, you should get decent times out of a single pack. Remember, you can always get a couple packs, and have the others all charged up and ready. Epic has a two pack of Dreadnaught 3000 packs for about $50 on Towerhobbies.

I am not familiar with quarter scale servos and thier power demands - so I am not sure if you are going to need a RX pack, even with the Rebel 2's BEC.

This thread has a lot of basic info on batteries and such, you may want to check it out - Battery Info

Last edited by Mad Scientist; 12-06-2005 at 05:05 PM.
Mad Scientist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 04:58 PM   #4
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

hey raptorman, looking at your setup you should be getting longer runtimes. how long has it been since you trued the comm and checked out the brushes?

If you want one hour run times I suggest you get two cheap 3300 packs and switch them out as they run down, or get one 8000mah lipo pack. the 3300's would be cheaper.

So far, I haven found a full size rig setup that gets me more than 35ish minutes of runtime. I like wheelspeed though.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 05:11 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

thanks for the info so far guys. keep it coming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Scientist
Didn't you already have a thread just like this? I see it is gone now, and a new one has replaced it at the top of the list...
yes i did have a thread posted in newbie. it was there for over 24 hours and not a single reply. so i removed it, and replaced it with a slightly different question. and would ya look.... 3 replies already in less than an hour. including yours, which apparently sparked your interest more than my last post considering you replied to this one, and not the other.
87JeepWrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 05:25 PM   #6
TEAM MODERATOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrobholmes
hey raptorman, looking at your setup you should be getting longer runtimes. how long has it been since you trued the comm and checked out the brushes?

If you want one hour run times I suggest you get two cheap 3300 packs and switch them out as they run down, or get one 8000mah lipo pack. the 3300's would be cheaper.
Well,the motor was brand new. Straight out of the box it was took apart and wound to 65 so it shouldn't be TOOOO terribly bad. I wouldn't think anyway? It's got maybe 3 or 4 solid runs on it after I broke it in. Like stated in my PM,I'm interested in Lipo's but just not real sure of them.
Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 08:15 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87JeepWrangler
thanks for the info so far guys. keep it coming.

yes i did have a thread posted in newbie. it was there for over 24 hours and not a single reply. so i removed it, and replaced it with a slightly different question. and would ya look.... 3 replies already in less than an hour. including yours, which apparently sparked your interest more than my last post considering you replied to this one, and not the other.
Just raggin' on ya :-P
It is just that some people kind of think of forums as chat rooms, and if they don't get an answer right away they get upset. Hey, at least you deleated your old thread instead of double-posting.

Last edited by Mad Scientist; 12-06-2005 at 08:58 PM.
Mad Scientist is offline   Reply With Quote