Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: charging a saddle pack

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2009, 11:12 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default charging a saddle pack

i have had 2 8 cell saddle packs from cheapbatterypacks.com and it says to charge them at no more than 1.5 amps. i have a dynamite prophet sport charger and it has 3 amp settings 1, 2 and 6 amps. when i charge the batteries on 1 amp it takes forever to charge them. would it hurt the batteries to charge at 2 amps? for a quicker charge?
Fordx4Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-31-2009, 11:30 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

dont go higher than 1.5 amps, the small cells dont like to be charged higher than 1c, it basicly cooks them. thats one big downside to the small cells, they really cant take the current. keep charging them at 1 amp, it takes a while but it beats buying new packs. save your pennies for a better charger thats more adjustable.
Sharkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 10:19 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

thats what i thought.
the next thing i buy reguarding batterries is 3s lipos and a good charger.
Old 11-01-2009, 07:56 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

I charged my elite 1500's at 6 amps!

Got about 15-20 charges in before I noticed the heat shrink starting to crack and peel because the cells were growing.

After that, I went to LiPo and haven't looked back. I picked up a couple lipos for about $12 a piece (25C 1000mAh 2S) and I had a simple charger from another RC that charged at 900mA. I bought a chinese programmable lipo charger for $50 (with power supply) and don't see myself ever going back to nickel batts. They all now charge at 1C which means 1 hour to fully charged.

I had a NiMH Battery explode before. I was charging it at 6 amps, discharging it, then charging it, etc, all within the same day. While it was charging for the maybe 5th time I started hearing it hiss and pop (the hydrogen venting), so I pulled it off the charger, and threw it out in the street. It was like fireworks when it went off. (I was able to get the LHS to warranty it because that battery had known issues with bad cells.)

So only YOU can prevent battery fires! (Where's the Smokey the Bear smiley)
monkeyracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 08:32 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

yup 1 amp is all you need i have simalr packs it doesnt take all that long
2500hdon37s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 08:41 AM   #6
Rock Stacker

I love the dynamite chargers I have the vision peak ultra got it used for $30 a heck of a deal. I would search for one if you also like them they can charge 1-3 cell lipos when you upgrade. Right now I am running the 1500 elite saddles as well and they take bout 20-30 minutes for full charge at 1 amp.
Cajunbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 09:28 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

if i am out crawlling and swapping batterries between the crawler and the charger they will charge in about 45 minutes. but if i am just charging them at home befor i go out the batteries seem to take well over an hour to charge. weird huh.
as far as the lipos go they are on my list of things to get. 1st is a new high torque steer servo, 2nd a 2.4 radio. thatn 3rd is lipos. unless i can find a hell of a deal on a good lipo charger that can charge 3s lipos.
but lipos are deffinetly coming soon.
Old 11-01-2009, 10:17 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordx4Ranger View Post
if i am out crawlling and swapping batterries between the crawler and the charger they will charge in about 45 minutes. but if i am just charging them at home befor i go out the batteries seem to take well over an hour to charge. weird huh.
as far as the lipos go they are on my list of things to get. 1st is a new high torque steer servo, 2nd a 2.4 radio. thatn 3rd is lipos. unless i can find a hell of a deal on a good lipo charger that can charge 3s lipos.
but lipos are deffinetly coming soon.
1. A new steering servo is one of the first things I upgraded as well.
2. For the 2.4 radio, I'm looking to get one as well, but only need it at the comps. When I'm out practicing I don't have a single issue. The only thing I don't like is that anything worth getting is so expensive (I guess that is true with a lot of things in this hobby.)
3. Lipos can be had for great deals, and chargers can be found in the for sale section for pretty cheap. My charger can charge up to 6S, or 2x3s with an adapter (I could charge two equal 3S batts in the same time as one.)
monkeyracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 12:58 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

just ordered a HS-7950TH 486oz torque baby. might be orderin the radio next payday with the 3 pay deal at tower. and i got a $25 off if i spend $100 or more. dang this hobby is expensive.