Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: New Motor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2005, 12:40 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default New Motor

Hi, im running 55t lathe motor in my tlt crawler. This is a great motor for crawling and has tons of torque, i want another motor that has a bit more speed and reasonable torque?? just want to know what you guys think would be most suitable? i did a quick search and most of the post are on lathes..
Thanks...
TeeLTee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-12-2005, 01:41 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

integy makes 4 (i think) different lathe motors. 35t, 45t, 55, and a 65t. the lower the number the more speed, the higher the number more torque. there are 2 or 3 recent posts on these motors and someone testing them and posting results.
xtremraptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 07:04 AM   #3
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

With gearing and rpm kept constant all the lathe motors would produce similar power. If you are looking for more speed add a few cells to the motor you have now. Your torque will increase at the same time since the amp draw would go up.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 04:13 PM   #4
MODERATOR™

That's not the "Adding lightness" way of thinking! But adding cells does work.

Or look for a 22 turn Mag Mayhem, maybe a stock 27 turn 540, or a lower wind Lathe?
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 04:48 PM   #5
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

If you want to keep your running voltage the same, then decrease the winds. I would say the 45 turn would be a great starting point. You will get more wheel torque (via higher amp draw) if the vehicle was geared down to compensate, or you will get more wheelspeed instead if you keep your gearing the same.

The downfall is that runtimes will go down a smidge, but that is a matter of fact when you have more power!

I should clarify that motor torque and final torque are related but not tied together. If wheelspeed is kept the same, the lower wind motors will give more final torque because of the extra geardown and amp draw. Man, I really need a dyno to pump out motor graphs with!
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 04:52 PM   #6
TEAM MODERATOR

Winding your own motor is easy. If you got a motor you ain't running now,get some wire and wind a lower turn motor. You could try 45 turns,if thats not enough,try 35 and you could keep trying different winds till you get the results you want. I tried several different winds(45,55,60,65,70 and 80) on an old motor till I got the results I wanted. I then went and bought a new 19t Ultra Bird stock motor with adjustable timing. Took it out of the box and before even installing it,tore it down and wound it to 65T.
Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 11:41 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

Thanks for the feed back,i would like to get the 35 turn lathe but will probly go towards a 27 turn motor?...whats the best 27 turn motor for crawling? does any body know how silver can perform in a crawler?

Thanks....
TeeLTee is offline   Reply With Quote