Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Tekin fx-r radio calibration help!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2009, 04:54 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Tekin fx-r radio calibration help!!

I noticed last night that on my Tekin FX-R esc that when I pull the trigger on my radio to go forward, the truck goes forward but the lights on the esc think I am going in reverse.
They light up from right to left. When I go in reverse they light up left to right. I watched a video online to confirm it should be the other way.

So I read the instructions on calibrating the radio to the speed controller and this is where I have issues. I hold the mode button for 3 seconds and first it searches for neutral. Then it beeps and a light to the far right lights up to search for full throttle. I pull the trigger and hold and nothing happens. If I push the trigger into reverse, it works, then the light to the far left lights up searching for reverse. I have to pull the trigger back to make it find it and work.

The thing is that the truck runs properly. I pull the trigger and it goes forward. Push it forward and it goes in reverse. My motor and trans are facing the front of my truck so the dig is behind the tranny.

The only thing I can think is to unsolder the connections on the motor and flip around. Then I would have to run the radio settings in reverse. But I shouldn't have to do this. The motor and esc are wired +to+ and -to-.

I tried reversing the setting on the remote to see what it would do and it calibrates and the lights run left to right when I pull the trigger and right to left when I push it. But the truck now runs backwards.

My radio is set in normal operation with all trim levels set to normal. I am running a Futaba 3pm-mx.

Any ideas?

I could ignore this issue because the truck runs fine the way it is if I ignore the lights. However I am concerned that my esc settings (drag brake, reverse strength, ect.) are affecting by the esc thinking its running backwards.

I called Tekin and I am awaiting a call back....

Last edited by the02stangman; 11-19-2009 at 04:58 PM.
the02stangman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-19-2009, 05:00 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Sounds like you might just have the radio and motor wires reversed.
Rockcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 05:16 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Well, Tekin called back and they were aware of the issue. I guess it is the way some of the Futaba radios communicate with the Tekin esc. It is a common issue with this combo. My buddy has the same esc and also a futaba radio and today we tested his and it was exactly the same as mine.

Tekin said some Futaba users have to run the radio throttle channel in reverse and swap the wires backwards on the motor if the motor is mounted with the spur gear facing forward. Stock ax-10's with the motor and spur facing the back should not have to do this I guess. This will make the esc run in the proper settings. Right now even though my motor and radio are going forward. The esc thinks I'm going backwards.
They may have a software update in the future to correct this.

So I guess i will change this tonight.

Last edited by the02stangman; 11-19-2009 at 05:21 PM.
the02stangman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 06:31 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

I have this problem on one of my fxrs with my 4pk. I just switched the motor wires. It is goofy though. My 5 other fxrs work fine with the 4pk? :?
oldhippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 06:35 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Different rigs have the trans mounted in different directions......I really dont see what the big deal is.
Rockcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 09:25 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Well its kinda bad when ya try to program reverse strength on the esc and really program forward strength. :? I always run 100%, but still.....:-P I never use all the brake features but I bet that would be weird too.
oldhippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 01:07 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Sometimes you could never tell which way the polarity will be running when it's all soldered up.
I always wire it up the way I think it should be with the intention of swapping the motor wires. And always start with the radio in normal throttle, neutral trim at zero and forward and reverse EPAs at 100%.
Futaba sometimes needs more forward EPA, 120%.
JeepinDoug is offline   Reply With Quote