Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: What Servos?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2009, 07:21 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default What Servos?

Hi guys, I was hoping I could get all you hardcore comp guys on this one,

What servos do you like to use, in regards to longevity, torque, and price?

Thanks in advance!
Col. Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-25-2009, 08:01 PM   #2
Got Worms?

I don't have one but a hitec 7950 is my personal fav over 400 oz of torque and for a resonable price of about 120, i have the 7955 and its works great too
losikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 08:50 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by losikid View Post
I don't have one but a hitec 7950 is my personal fav over 400 oz of torque and for a resonable price of about 120, i have the 7955 and its works great too
X's 2!!! I just ordered the Hitec 7950 TG for $114. 486oz @ 7.4v. You can't beat that.
Krakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 10:51 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

I'm also not so clear on the topic of bec's
Is the purpose of using a bec to allow your servo to run at higher voltage to get more torque out of your servo?
Old 11-27-2009, 05:08 AM   #5
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krakker View Post
X's 2!!! I just ordered the Hitec 7950 TG for $114. 486oz @ 7.4v. You can't beat that.
X3 This what I am using and it works great at 7.4V I have 2 of them and I am very happy with them.

I also should have a Futaba 9157 servo here soon.
CRSMacgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 05:14 AM   #6
Rock Stacker

A bec does two things...The priamry reason is to supply an adequate amount of current to supply high power servos. As the amount of work a servo is asked to perform increases, the draw or amount of current increases. If the supply is not adequate for the demand, the voltage drops. As the supply and the voltage drop, the amount of work the servo can do falls as well. The BEC is desiged to bypass the limited current supplied by the BEC circuit in the speed control and supply a much higher amount of current drawn directly from the battery. The second function of the BEC comes from the fact that most batteries supply a higher voltage than the servo can handle. The BEC steps the voltage down from 7.4 or 11.2 volts down to 5-6 volts, the amount that most servos run at. Some of the BEC's allow you to adjust the voltage to supply the maximum amount of usable voltage the servo can handle in order to maximaze the amount of torque the servo makes. The key is to know how much voltage the servo can handle without going up in smoke (another topic for another thread). By using the maximum voltage with a larger reserve capacity (higher amperage supplied by the BEC) the servo will make the most power that it can supply while isolating it from the ESC and the reciever.

Last edited by billm67; 11-27-2009 at 07:05 AM.
billm67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 06:28 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by billm67 View Post
A bec does two things...The priamry reason is to supply an adequate amount of current to supply high power servos. As the amount of work a servo is asked to perform increases, the draw or amount of current increases. If the supply is not adequate for the demand, the voltage drops. As the supply and the voltage drop, the amount of work the servo can do falls as well. The BEC is desiged to bypass the limited current supplied by the BEC circuit in the speed control and supply a much higher amount of current drawn directly from the battery. The second function of the BEC comes from the fact that most batteries supply a higher voltage than the servo can handle. The BEC steps the voltage down from 7.4 or 11.2 volts down to 5-6 volts, the amount that most servos run at. Some of the BEC's allow you to adjust the voltage to supply the maximum amount of usable voltage the servo can handle in order to maximaze the amount of torque the servo makes. The key is to know how much voltage the servo can handle without going up in smoke (another topic for another thread). By usng the maximum voltage with a larger reserve capacity (higher amperage supplied by the BEC) the servo will make the most power that it can supply while isolating it from the ESC and the reciever.
WOW that helps me out alot... Thanks
Brett B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 06:44 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRSMacgyver View Post
X3 This what I am using and it works great at 7.4V I have 2 of them and I am very happy with them.

I also should have a Futaba 9157 servo here soon.

X4 I run mine at 7.4v on a 4.5lb rig Dance baby, dance
Rocks R. Good is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 12:28 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

sweet thanks for the BEC info! What BEC's would you recommend? Castle Creations is the name I keep hearing.
Old 11-27-2009, 01:00 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

CC BEC all the way.

I run a Jr9100t servo. its 370oz @ 6v, i run it @ 6.2.

I liked that JR has a 3 year warranty, and it was on the shelf when i wanted it.

its weird too, when i got mine it was $114.99, and the 8711 was $139.99.

now the 8711 is hard to find, and i see mine listed @ 139.99?

Last edited by BEELZEBOB; 11-27-2009 at 01:03 PM.
BEELZEBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 01:02 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

I have the Castle Creations..the smaller 10 amp one and I have the positive and negative wires soldered directly into my steering servo. I took the red and black wires out of the plug for the servo and the white signal wire is the only wire left in the plug going into the reciever. The orange wire (signal wire) on the bec is covered in black tape and the red and black wires from the bec are soldered and heat shrinked right onto the steering servo wires. This way, I still let the power from the speed control come in and power the receiver and the dig switch servo (it's a tiny helicopter servo that takes no power) and all of the current from the bec goes toward steering.
billm67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 05:14 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

sweet thanks for all the help guys...

I think it's time for a revision to my trucks electronics... As it sits now it has a hitec SRX radio which is broken and not sending a good signal, a 645 MG servo, and a 6 cell split pack... I'm thinkin I'm gonna go LiPo, DX3R, HS-7950TH and a CC BEC any other recommendations?