Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Winch questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2009, 07:44 AM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Winch questions

I'm looking at winches for my Project X scaler. I want a working winch.
The RC4WD bully dog was my first choice, but is not waterproof, so I need input from people who have used other winches on there scalers in the water.

I'm not impressed by the C.L.A.W. it is underpowered @ 8lbs stall. However if someone that has one can tell me it is under rated from the factory, that may change my mind.

The 3 Racing winch seems to be holding it's own in the scaler crowd. I have not heard many bad things about it, and does anyone have a stall weight for it.

I just need some real world info about the experiences people have had with these and any other winch on the market I may have left out.

How it holds up with regular use?

Does it work well in water?

Should the line be replaced before use?

What are some scale line options?

How many lbs does it take to stall it out?

I'm looking for a stall weight of about 13lbs or better, because water filled tires are heavy.

Some pics of where my scalers end up.

Thanks for any info guys.
hitman46mod is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-26-2009, 08:18 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

I can tell yo I've had trouble with the Bulldog-- still working with RC4WD on it.

The Bulldog & 3Racing seem to have the identical gearbox. The teeth on the gears in this thing are SUPER fine. Any grit or mud will clog/ruin it, for sure.

I've ordered a 3Racing to try out as well-- at third the price of the bulldog, I figured what the hell.

Ultimately, I figure you get what you pay for. Something as miniature, specialized, and precise as a functional scale winch, my mind, *should* cost more than what both the Bulldog & 3Racing go for-- My poor experience so far has not surprised me, though it has been a bummer.
Jeep-Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 08:26 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

There is this winch......http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/showthread.php?t=144191 .
I havent heard much about it, but it might be what your looking for.
BLOODBANE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 09:09 AM   #4
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep-Power View Post
I can tell yo I've had trouble with the Bulldog-- still working with RC4WD on it.

The Bulldog & 3Racing seem to have the identical gearbox. The teeth on the gears in this thing are SUPER fine. Any grit or mud will clog/ruin it, for sure.

I've ordered a 3Racing to try out as well-- at third the price of the bulldog, I figured what the hell.

Ultimately, I figure you get what you pay for. Something as miniature, specialized, and precise as a functional scale winch, my mind, *should* cost more than what both the Bulldog & 3Racing go for-- My poor experience so far has not surprised me, though it has been a bummer.
The 3racing winch is where I'm leaning, for the price you can just buy another. But I don't want to have to buy one every other month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLOODBANE View Post
There is this winch......http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/showthread.php?t=144191 .
I havent heard much about it, but it might be what your looking for.
This winch was ruled out at the start of my build due to space restrictions. It is an awesome winch though.
hitman46mod is offline   Reply With Quote