Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: is Fx-r really worth it?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2009, 07:55 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default is Fx-r really worth it?

have a sidewinder and it works alright. i have heard the fxr gives TONS more dragebreak, is small, and overall, just better. i need a couple peoples opinions on this. . heres what i run sidewinder dx3.0 ccbec hh 35t 8711 steering 645 dig servo thanks guys
sheedy126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-27-2009, 08:12 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

If you have a sidewinder, get the link and do the update and programing. I hear it makes the drag brake good. I like the fxr better but the sidewinder ain't so bad to switch over unless ya really think ya need the size/weight/programming/drag brake as a small competitive edge.
oldhippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 08:16 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

I have never run a sidewinder, but I love my FXR. The drag brakes are great, and the small size is a big plus when running a narrow chassis.
Pintokiller79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 08:19 PM   #4
TEAM MODERATOR

I'm not sure if I'd say the FXR gives TONS more drag brake. It is stronger if your comparing the old Castle firmware or a Castle ESC out of the box. Have you tried the newest version of the Castle firmware? I have not run an FXR,but I do know the newest update from Castle helped my drag brake.

The FXR's are nice speed controls that do in fact work good,won't argue that at all. The size of them being one of their big selling points. The Castle speed control will handle allot more though. They both say they have a 3 cell limit.....I know allot of people that run 4 cells on a Sidewinder with great success. I think you'd be asking for trouble with a 4 cell on a FXR personally.

The brake on the Castle units can work extremely well if guys would spend the time adjusting things and trying different throttle and reverse curves. I noticed the biggest difference once I started playing with the throttle/reverse curves. Take it out of linear mode and start testing a few different things.
Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 08:20 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

i have the castle link and have it programed to my liking other than the drag brake. i have the gc2 with vpdig so it gets pretty bulky with the normal size receiver in there aswell. ill just have to drive a crawler wimilar to mine with the fxr and see how i like it
Old 11-27-2009, 08:23 PM   #6

i have a sidewinder and really it works great. has the latest drag brake in it but my buddies fxr on 80% still has more than mine at 128%. i would like and fxr but i am gonna wait for awhile, i havent had my sidewinder that long.
losijunk! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 08:48 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

thanks guys for all the opinions. i guess it all comes down to size and drag brake.
Old 11-30-2009, 02:24 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

I've been running an FXR in both of my rigs for months. Love them. Just mount the capacitor with a double layer of MIP servo tape on the case. Some people here have had issues frying them when cap breaks off. But I have never had that issue. And like I just recommended, my caps are secure on case. Have handled some pretty big falls too not on purpose

Also run Maxamps 3S in them with cc bec. 4S is too much anyway unless you want to break parts for no reason
Rig Rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 10:44 AM   #9
Keep it real

Scott, do the update on your firmware first. Ask Pat to drive his rig next comp, he's running an FXR.
Tanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 01:02 AM   #10
Rock Stacker

I run FX-R on my TCS Eclipse/Scorpion Build and love it for the size and the drag brake works Awesome.

I also run the FX-R Pro on my Losi Comp Crawler. Its size once again makes it easy to tuck away that way I don't have to mount it back on the axle. As for drag brake on the LCC it is not needed since it is worm drive but you can set it to roll out. So once you let up on the trigger it will still give power to the motor as if you were rolling to a stop like a ring and pinion vehicle.

FX-R Gets my vote...
ThGdThBd&ThUgly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 10:28 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

I HAD a FXR.

Now I have a CC Mamba Max Pro.

the difference between the drag brakes is nill, especially since the new CC firmware allows the DB to go up to 128.

the fXR was way smaller. less programable. but smaller.

the external capacitor broke off about 4 times in the 8 months i had it. and finally the lasttime when i didnt notice it was broken, plugged in a 3s and poof.

the fXR is okay, but i will never buy one again
BEELZEBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 02:33 PM   #12
RCC Addict

I love my FXR. As far as being programable, If you download the new firmware v30, you will go from having 6 ajustments to 9. loads of options.
Beest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 03:53 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

i just picked one up off ebay new along with 2 batteries, bec, and motor for 100 shipped. all stuff brand new in bags still.
pontiacfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 03:59 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

dont they come in boxes?
Old 12-01-2009, 04:35 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheedy126 View Post
have a sidewinder and it works alright. i have heard the fxr gives TONS more dragebreak, is small, and overall, just better. i need a couple peoples opinions on this. . heres what i run sidewinder dx3.0 ccbec hh 35t 8711 steering 645 dig servo thanks guys
My buddy C*H*U*D is running a Sidewinder in his rig and he wasn't too happy with the drag brake, so while I was drinking his beer last Saturday, I let him try my FXR out. We put my FXR into his rig and that was the only thing that we changed. The FXR's drag brake was noticeably better, certainly not tons better. Based on the testing we did the FXR's brake doesn't have enough of an edge to make a difference. We updated everything to the latest firmware and set the Sidewinder to 128 and the FXR to 100 before hand.

I'm not really happy with the drag brake on either one, maybe I'm expecting too much though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEELZEBOB View Post
dont they come in boxes?
lol! Mine did.
toybuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 04:56 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

you boys need to come down to boulder more often.

combine the teams lol
Old 12-01-2009, 06:02 PM   #17
No idea what I'm doing

Quote:
Originally Posted by toybuilder View Post

I'm not really happy with the drag brake on either one, maybe I'm expecting too much though.
I do have high expectations myself.....of course not OF myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEELZEBOB View Post
you boys need to come down to boulder more often.

combine the teams lol
I work in Boulder. What do you do at lunchtime (Colorado time of course)? We have a pretty nice crawl spot right where I work on Arapahoe....I'm sure we can convince Clint to take a long lunch one day.

C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 06:11 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Answer to your question.....

YES..........
roksloski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 07:01 PM   #19
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by toybuilder View Post
. The FXR's drag brake was noticeably better, certainly not tons better. Based on the testing we did the FXR's brake doesn't have enough of an edge to make a difference. We updated everything to the latest firmware and set the Sidewinder to 128 and the FXR to 100 before hand.

My FXR will make my berg flip over foreward with the drag brake at 50%. Thats with handwound 45t motors. I switched from a Mamba Max. Even at 128%, it is no where near the FXR. AND I RUN MY FXR ON A 4S LIPO WITH NO ISSUES.
The Violator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 07:28 PM   #20
No idea what I'm doing

Quote:
Originally Posted by trucknuts View Post
My FXR will make my berg flip over foreward with the drag brake at 50%. Thats with handwound 45t motors. I switched from a Mamba Max. Even at 128%, it is no where near the FXR. AND I RUN MY FXR ON A 4S LIPO WITH NO ISSUES.
How is your FXR on climbs after letting off on throttle? That is where I noticed the most noticeable problem. I can live with, and actually like a small amount of forward slide, but on climbs I expect my rig to not lose any forward progress. Am I missing something with the FXR?
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote