Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: windows 7 32bit Castle link/tekin hotwire

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2009, 12:29 AM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default windows 7 32bit Castle link/tekin hotwire

So has anybody been able to get either tekin hotwire or Castle link to work on windows 7? I had no issue when I was running 32 bit vista. I have tried using compatability mode on both with no luck and both using "run as admin". I can get them to install perfectly. When I click to start the installed program nothing happens. I have even tried to run them under XP mode. Tekin will not install under this mode though but castle link does and it runs. The issue with castle in XP mode is the fact it does not reconize the USB due to how the virtual system is setup. I am about to rip my hair out (thank god its very short).

Any input would be apreciated...
crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-09-2009, 02:18 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Nobody has made anything work on windows 7 yet?

One thing that confuses me is the fact that windows 7 is primarly based off vista platform--so in theory this shit should run
Old 12-09-2009, 02:20 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

In theory is right. And it's the reason I have yet to use my Win7 upgrade disc. I don't want to screw myself with a bunch of programs that I use with Vista that I have no problems with. Until I have any issues or am required to upgrade, I won't.
2JSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 02:25 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

I've been running Windows 7 since the first beta without issue.

I have castlelink installed on my laptop, running Windows 7 x64, with out issue either.

If you are having problems, might want to look into XP-Mode. You should be able to run it from there. I have set up my two bosses like that with their flight and dive software.
ncgoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 02:29 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2JSC View Post
In theory is right. And it's the reason I have yet to use my Win7 upgrade disc. I don't want to screw myself with a bunch of programs that I use with Vista that I have no problems with. Until I have any issues or am required to upgrade, I won't.
As long as you don't need any USB interface you can use XP mode to handle any earlier programs. From my hours of reading thats the big issue with XP mode under windows 7---USB...
Old 12-09-2009, 02:31 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncgoose View Post
I've been running Windows 7 since the first beta without issue.

I have castlelink installed on my laptop, running Windows 7 x64, with out issue either.

If you are having problems, might want to look into XP-Mode. You should be able to run it from there. I have set up my two bosses like that with their flight and dive software.
I have tried that with castle link and unable to get the USB portion of it to work.

Tekin hotwire won't install under XP mode. Gives a "unable to install remotely" error and stops.
Old 12-09-2009, 07:32 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

I just tried installing the Tekin Hotwire on my new computer tonight (Windows 7) and I'm having issues too. I installed it as usual, and the icon is on my desktop, but when I double click it, it says "the specified path does not exist, check the path and try again". Needless to say, I'm a little irritated. I just now installed it with no problems on my old XP laptop, so I guess I'll go use it.
War Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 07:48 PM   #8
RCC Addict

I have successfully been running Castlelink on my Windows 7 Pro box since the release of the RTM back in early August. I even just upgraded to v3.22. It all works just fine. I am not running an XP MODE. I did have the install do a RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR.
xirtic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 10:44 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Thats what I don't understand. Why is it some folks are able to install it like vista and some not...
Old 12-10-2009, 12:30 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Ok I am trying something. I will report as soon as I am done to see if it works
Old 12-10-2009, 05:58 AM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by xirtic View Post
I have successfully been running Castlelink on my Windows 7 Pro box since the release of the RTM back in early August. I even just upgraded to v3.22. It all works just fine. I am not running an XP MODE. I did have the install do a RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR.
I tried it just for kicks on a windows 7 machine and it didn't work. Reinstalled as administrator and it worked fine.

I think the biggest problem is Windows is trying to protect you from yourself, and therefore making simple tasks ridiculously hard.

Why isn't there a Castlelink version for my Mac?
shaggybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 07:25 AM   #12
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggybob View Post
I tried it just for kicks on a windows 7 machine and it didn't work. Reinstalled as administrator and it worked fine.

I think the biggest problem is Windows is trying to protect you from yourself, and therefore making simple tasks ridiculously hard.

Why isn't there a Castlelink version for my Mac?

There is always a Virtual PC.
Old 12-10-2009, 09:23 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Ok--so I am a determined person and I either figure it out---or shit gets blown up

So XP mode by microsoft is a joke. They seemed to drop the ball on the gateway for how USB works. Its a shame really too. I found the system to be very stable and uses resources as well as windows 7 does.

So after another late night I finally got both castle link and hotwire working.

Unfortunately there are a few drawbacks to how I accomplished it. First being you will need a registered copy of XP. Second you will need to download VMware http://www.vmware.com/ . The setup and install of everything was very simple and clean cut. The second drawback is VM is kinda memory hog. I only have 2 gigs currently (upping it next week) so it does bog the system down but luckily I will only be running it for these 2 apps and a couple apps for work.

But in any case I got both castle link and hotwire to work on windows 7.
Old 12-10-2009, 10:46 AM   #14
Rev
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
There is always a Virtual PC.

Vitual PC does not have USB support. Found that out after I installed it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashfab View Post
Ok--so I am a determined person and I either figure it out---or shit gets blown up

So XP mode by microsoft is a joke. They seemed to drop the ball on the gateway for how USB works. Its a shame really too. I found the system to be very stable and uses resources as well as windows 7 does.

So after another late night I finally got both castle link and hotwire working.

Unfortunately there are a few drawbacks to how I accomplished it. First being you will need a registered copy of XP. Second you will need to download VMware http://www.vmware.com/ . The setup and install of everything was very simple and clean cut. The second drawback is VM is kinda memory hog. I only have 2 gigs currently (upping it next week) so it does bog the system down but luckily I will only be running it for these 2 apps and a couple apps for work.

But in any case I got both castle link and hotwire to work on windows 7.

You may want to try Sun's Virtual Box as an alternative to VMware. I installed it on a Vista 64 laptop and have had no problems what so ever. Just make sure you install the guest additions part. It is like a feature pack! Hope this helps! I dont know if Virtual box is a memory hog since I have 4GB of memory. Shoot me a PM if you want me to see how much memory it actually uses.
Rev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 10:49 AM   #15
RCC Addict

The easy Windows 7 32-bit answer is to simply run the install as RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR. I have had success with this for 4 months and 3 versions or so. Just did 3.22 a week ago....successful as well.
Old 12-10-2009, 10:55 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
The easy Windows 7 32-bit answer is to simply run the install as RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR. I have had success with this for 4 months and 3 versions or so. Just did 3.22 a week ago....successful as well.
Do a google search and see how many folks have tried that--along with me to no avail..

Believe me if there was an easy answer I would have been happy to use it..
Old 12-10-2009, 10:57 AM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev View Post
Vitual PC does not have USB support. Found that out after I installed it.

You may want to try Sun's Virtual Box as an alternative to VMware. I installed it on a Vista 64 laptop and have had no problems what so ever. Just make sure you install the guest additions part. It is like a feature pack! Hope this helps! I dont know if Virtual box is a memory hog since I have 4GB of memory. Shoot me a PM if you want me to see how much memory it actually uses.
I am not worried as its working perfectly now under VMware.
Old 12-10-2009, 11:02 AM   #18
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashfab View Post
Do a google search and see how many folks have tried that--along with me to no avail..

Believe me if there was an easy answer I would have been happy to use it..

Maybe it is a HOME vs PRO version thing??? I run PRO.....are the people that have HOME experiencing this issue? I am just curious.
Old 12-10-2009, 11:10 AM   #19

Well I just got a new laptop and have not tried Castle link yet. I do know my Camera editing software did not work on win 7. Just as I was trying to make life simpler........
The_REDRASCAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 11:13 AM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Maybe it is a HOME vs PRO version thing??? I run PRO.....are the people that have HOME experiencing this issue? I am just curious.
I am running pro and most that I have read about also running pro.

Thats what really confused me in the fact how wishy washy it was on who could and could not run the apps. I just made no sense. Plus every conversation I read about there was no "geekish" in depth talk. Heck it could be as simple as a chipset difference within the box itself...