Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Pro's and Con's of switching to Lipo battries?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2009, 09:32 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Pro's and Con's of switching to Lipo battries?

I'm running 6 cell Ni-MH stick batteries in my 2 AX-10 crawlers (1 is my son's)I'm thinking about going to Lipo's.Someting small enough to fit on the front axle,or should I just get some saddle packs to put on the axles.Not into Comp running ,just bashing around the house and farm.Right now I have a Dynamite Vision Peak 2 charger,so I'd have to get a new charger+the lipo's lot of$$$.We're both running 55T motors,Tekin FXR ESC's,and Hi-Tec servo's.Will lipo's work with these?Don't know if it's worth the money and hassle of changing over or just get some 6 or 7 cell saddle packs to go on the front axle.
THANKS JEFF
jeffc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-14-2009, 09:37 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Ive seen no cons from switching so far. More power, more run time, smaller, lighter packs.. win win.

I switched over to lipos last year, probably best thing i did for my crawlers.
InFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 09:42 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Where do you have your battery mounted,and what size is it?What kind of charger do you have?
THANKS JEFF
Old 12-14-2009, 09:44 AM   #4

Run times are better, they are lightweight, and smaller..
The trottle punch cant be touched by Ni-mh.
Lower C rating li-po's aren't that much more expensive..
I have 2 for my crawler one is an 8c and the other is 10c perfect for crawling, and about $25 to $30.
Just the charger, but there are many coming out that are affordable enough, sen one online by Dynomite that is capable of 10 amps and is only $70 I think..
Rthlss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 09:45 AM   #5

lol I need to type faster..
Old 12-14-2009, 09:52 AM   #6
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffc View Post
Where do you have your battery mounted,and what size is it?What kind of charger do you have?
THANKS JEFF
I keep them on the upper 4 link. I have 2 1500mah 3s 20c packs from www.ecpower.com.hk and im about to order 2 1300 3s 20c packs from hobbycity.com. For the charger i have a SkyRC iMAX B6, and its the legit SkyRC one not a ebay knock off, which i also got from ecpower. Everything works great and well worth the cash.
Old 12-14-2009, 09:56 AM   #7

Sorry this is the charger I was talking about, it's not dynamite,,

http://www.hobbypartz.com/skychb6chd...FQIMDQodeToJ9Q
Old 12-14-2009, 10:07 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by InFlames View Post
I keep them on the upper 4 link. I have 2 1500mah 3s 20c packs from www.ecpower.com.hk and im about to order 2 1300 3s 20c packs from hobbycity.com. For the charger i have a SkyRC iMAX B6, and its the legit SkyRC one not a ebay knock off, which i also got from ecpower. Everything works great and well worth the cash.
I understand the 1500mah,that would be the run time,right?What's the 3s and 20 c mean?
THANKS JEFF
Old 12-14-2009, 10:11 AM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
I understand the 1500mah,that would be the run time,right?What's the 3s and 20 c mean?
THANKS JEFF
Yeah mah is "runtime", 3s means 3 cells, just like 2s is 2 cells. 20c is the burst it can put out. (best way i can describe it sorry).

The ecpower lipos actually turned out to be about 1300mah, but i still got about 40min+ run times on my losi comp crawler. Plus for the 2 lips and the charger it was like $68 shipped or something.
Old 12-14-2009, 10:19 AM   #10

Try zippy or rhino lipos both good quality batteries and great price. Takes a little while to get them but well worth the wait. Here is a link to hobbycity.

http://hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store/uh_index.asp
CRAWLERWRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 10:38 AM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Geting ready to go to work right now ,but will check in later.Thanks, I've learned alot already.So I guess lipo's will work with the esc and servo's I'm running.
THANKS JEFF
Old 12-14-2009, 10:43 AM   #12
RCC Addict

Quote:
Geting ready to go to work right now ,but will check in later.Thanks, I've learned alot already.So I guess lipo's will work with the esc and servo's I'm running.
THANKS JEFF
Look up the specs on your esc before you buy some lipos, and make sure you buy some it can handle.
Old 12-14-2009, 11:27 AM   #13

gidday peeps

I have just bought and installed some Intellect 2300 2C 7.4V reciever lipo's for the front axle of my ax10.

The fit is brilliant, and weight reduction is significant. It runs for an hour plus. Pretty hard to really give a good indication of time.

As for would it be worth the expense of change over, i would not say it is definately worth it. You already have batteries and unless they are stuffed you are only buying them for the sake of it.

The performance difference is negligable if you are not comp crawling. Just for mucking around with, i feel that the stick packs worked fine. I already had a charger, and my stick packs get used to race my mini's and my youngens offroaders, so it wasn't a major expense to go lipo.

Centre of Gravity COG was the primary reason i went lipo. I am not comp crawling either, but i do intend heading that way.
stangas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 08:38 AM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Couple more questions,what is a BEC for and would I need 1 with the FXR Tekin esc I'm runinning and what is a balancer for?Is most of the chargers have them built in?Is a Triton a good charger?
THANKS JEFF
Old 12-15-2009, 10:10 AM   #15
Pebble Pounder

BEC takes power from the battery and applies it directly to the servo without going through the reciever first. This way you can give your servos more voltage thus more power. I have the Castle Creations BEC and it works great! I'm not familiar with the FXR but I'm pretty sure it has a low voltage cuttoff. You don't want to run lipo's dead, it will damage them. A balancer keeps the lipo cells equal. You lose performance if one cell was fully charged and the other was only at 70%. I don't see it being necessary to balance the cells on every charge, but every couple charges would be a good idea. This will prolong the life and performace of the battery. Not all chargers have them built in and an external balancer can be purchased.

Last edited by PDXFNG; 12-15-2009 at 10:12 AM.
PDXFNG is offline   Reply With Quote