Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Losi Mini & Micro LiPos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2009, 03:57 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Losi Mini & Micro LiPos

I have a Losi MRC with the LiPo battery and charger, I am looking to get the Losi LiPo for my Micro Crawler and was wondering if I could use the charger from the MRC to charge it (I will get a plug adapter of course).

Thanks for the info.
notez2beat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-28-2009, 09:46 PM   #2
jwo
Rock Crawler

the stock lipo charger for the micro is 8.4 volt 150ma output for the 180mah lipo(this is what the losi micro charger says). not sure of the size of the mini lipo, but i think that your charger you want to use would have to much charging output for the micro battery. if i have this correct. some one help me out if im wrong. but say you have a 800 mah lipo, you dont want to exceed .8 amp output. or say a 1000 that would be 1.0 amp output.
jwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 09:49 AM   #3
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by notez2beat View Post
I have a Losi MRC with the LiPo battery and charger, I am looking to get the Losi LiPo for my Micro Crawler and was wondering if I could use the charger from the MRC to charge it (I will get a plug adapter of course).

Thanks for the info.
We offer the a Thunder Power 2S that should work great on the Micro. It might have to go on the axle though. The specs are 250maH 2S 20/40C with a 4C charge rate. These will be added to the site soon and will be sold for 11.99 plus shipping. Not sure what Losi has to offer for these but this lipo should work great in the Micro crawlers!

-Jason
KrawlOff-Road.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 10:11 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwo View Post
some one help me out if im wrong. but say you have a 800 mah lipo, you dont want to exceed .8 amp output. or say a 1000 that would be 1.0 amp output.
It really depends on the battery. What you describe is charging your battery at 1C which is perfectly fine. Any lipo should be able to handle that charge rate. There are other lipos out there that can handle 2C, 3C, and 4C. Meaning that they can be charged (in your example for the 800mAh pack) at 1.6A, 2.4A, and 3.2A for a faster charge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krawler Hobbies View Post
We offer the a Thunder Power 2S that should work great on the Micro. It might have to go on the axle though. The specs are 250maH 2S 20/40C with a 4C charge rate. These will be added to the site soon and will be sold for 11.99 plus shipping. Not sure what Losi has to offer for these but this lipo should work great in the Micro crawlers!

-Jason
Yep, the Lipo that Jason is referring to is just a tad longer than the stock battery. This TP pack measures 40mm x 20mm x 10mm and I measure the stock Micro NiMH pack at 30mm x 20mm x 10mm. This Thunder Power lipo is about 1cm longer which means that it wont fit in the stick location, but it will fit nicely on the rear axle plate and should also fit on the front axle on top of the servo. I spoke with Losi and verified that the stock ESC/Rx will handle the voltage from a 2S lipo, but that it does not have a LVC, so you'll need to watch the voltage of the lipo.

I have ordered a few of these from Jason and plan to start running them on my Micro when they arrive. I cant wait for the extra wheelspeed and longer run times!
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 10:20 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyH View Post
I spoke with Losi and verified that the stock ESC/Rx will handle the voltage from a 2S lipo, but that it does not have a LVC, so you'll need to watch the voltage of the lipo.
I don't mean to challenge you here, but I'm curious...
Was that a 'regular' Losi representative or someone 'special?' With all this other talk of our lipos cutting off automatically, I'm seeing this as contradictory information: even my micro's lipo (non-Losi) cut off last night when it seems it should have (it was cheap, from the 'bay, and although the sale-listing gave no info about having an internal cut off, I can't imagine that it does)?
JeepinOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 10:47 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Well, I have called Losi before and the guy's voice sounded familiar. I had heard differences so I called them. The info that I gave above is what the tech told me. Now, he could be wrong, but I dont have a way of knowing that. I suppose I'll find out when I start running these lipos.

What voltage did your battery cout out at?? 6V? 6.4V? I'll check it against mine when the batteries come in....
Old 12-29-2009, 11:12 AM   #7
jwo
Rock Crawler

[QUOTE=JeremyH;2191117]It really depends on the battery. What you describe is charging your battery at 1C which is perfectly fine. Any lipo should be able to handle that charge rate. There are other lipos out there that can handle 2C, 3C, and 4C. Meaning that they can be charged (in your example for the 800mAh pack) at 1.6A, 2.4A, and 3.2A for a faster charge.

thank you, just trying to help but i do not want to give out wrong info. nor do i want a lipo to explode on some one.
jwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 11:53 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Thanks for all the great info guys. I do have one other question if you don't mind. I have a Onyx 230 Charger that I use for my larger NiHM and LiPo batteries. I assume as long as I set it up correctly, it should be okay to charge the mini and micro packs as well.

I am very curious about the TP packs Jason mentioned. What I am most curious about is run time because the stock battery is terrible. I already run the battery on the rear axle so the size is fine, just wondering how long it will fun for. Hope someone posts once they test them out.
notez2beat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 12:24 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by notez2beat View Post
What I am most curious about is run time because the stock battery is terrible. I already run the battery on the rear axle so the size is fine, just wondering how long it will fun for. Hope someone posts once they test them out.
As soon as I get mine in, I'll make sure to post up on the run times I am getting.