Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Electical temp switch????

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2010, 11:06 AM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Electical temp switch????

What is the correct name for a electrical temp switch? Something like whats in a cloths dryer at home that turns the element on and off. What I'd like to do is find a small on of these "items" that I could strap on my LCC motor, and wire to the battery. So if and when the motor got to 150-160 deg F the switch would complete the curcuit and turn on a led light mounted somewhere on my rig. That I would see when it lit up so I could stop and cool down. Or is there a company that already sells some sort of temp controlled failsafe I could put on it?
KBrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-04-2010, 11:25 AM   #2
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBrog View Post
What is the correct name for a electrical temp switch? Something like whats in a cloths dryer at home that turns the element on and off. What I'd like to do is find a small on of these "items" that I could strap on my LCC motor, and wire to the battery. So if and when the motor got to 150-160 deg F the switch would complete the curcuit and turn on a led light mounted somewhere on my rig. That I would see when it lit up so I could stop and cool down. Or is there a company that already sells some sort of temp controlled failsafe I could put on it?
thermostat?

as for products, theres the venom smart temp, but thats aimed at nitro cars - not sure if it would be adaptable for your needs but might be a place to start looking.
crawler-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 11:52 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Interesting idea. I'm sure there's gotta be something that's going to work for you.

If all else fails, you could try using one of those small wireless thermometer sets that send temperature information to a base unit (often used in indoor/outdoor residential applications). It means that'd you'd have to have the base station nearby...but I don't know about sizes of those wireless probes, or how accurate it would be simply placed next to the motor.

Are you really running that hot? Perhaps there's something going on with your setup...?
JeepinOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 11:58 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

run a spektrum radio with the telemetry. it can send engine/motor temps, an rpm signal, and other data.
Sharkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 12:52 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepinCA View Post

Are you really running that hot? Perhaps there's something going on with your setup...?
Ive been ok with my setup, but got into a real bad bind and had the motor temp spike up super fast and burn the motor, because of my heavy throttle finger. Thats when I thought of the light idea. So I would know how long Id be able to keep at it before over heating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkey View Post
run a spektrum radio with the telemetry. it can send engine/motor temps, an rpm signal, and other data.
I think that radio only has a 2 pos 3rd channel switch. Im going to keep my DX3R with 3 pos 3rd channel for front and rear dig.

Ill check out the Venom smart temp, and see what its about.
Old 01-04-2010, 01:04 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBrog View Post
Ive been ok with my setup, but got into a real bad bind and had the motor temp spike up super fast and burn the motor, because of my heavy throttle finger. Thats when I thought of the light idea. So I would know how long Id be able to keep at it before over heating.

I think that radio only has a 2 pos 3rd channel switch. Im going to keep my DX3R with 3 pos 3rd channel for front and rear dig.

Ill check out the Venom smart temp, and see what its about.
Telemetry from Spektrum can be purchased as a separate module (I have one of these for my "Fast" trucks). The add-on module for the RX side is TINY...the TX side is like a big pager...I velcro'd it to my DX3.0 TX.

http://cgi.ebay.com/SPEKTRUM-SPM1305...item439906f453

Last edited by xirtic; 01-04-2010 at 01:07 PM. Reason: added link
xirtic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 01:19 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by xirtic View Post
Telemetry from Spektrum can be purchased as a separate module (I have one of these for my "Fast" trucks). The add-on module for the RX side is TINY...the TX side is like a big pager...I velcro'd it to my DX3.0 TX.

http://cgi.ebay.com/SPEKTRUM-SPM1305...item439906f453
Very nice. I was hoping for something a little smaller in size and price. After reading about the Venom it looked like the way to go untill I got to the end and read this (*Note: Not compatible with spread spectrum radios.) Quest still ongoing.
Old 01-04-2010, 02:09 PM   #8
RCC Addict

the novak brushless crawler motors have a temp sensor in them, but i don't know if it shuts down all ESC's or just the goat, i think all. any sensored brushless is that way i think.
indiana mudcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 02:50 PM   #9

Here is the info to build one, about $10 in parts. I have built a few for different applications, very simple and work great. The below circuit is used to control the speed of a fan using heat, but put an LED where the fan is, and use the potentiometer to adjust the LED turn on temp. This circuit will just make the LED brighter as the heat goes up. http://www.heatsink-guide.com/tempcontrol.htm
Sheep Shagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 03:17 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by indiana mudcat View Post
the novak brushless crawler motors have a temp sensor in them, but i don't know if it shuts down all ESC's or just the goat, i think all. any sensored brushless is that way i think.
I did my reading on Novak.com. Im running the ballistic crawler, and all the Ballistic motors have the temp cutoff except the crawlers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheep Shagger View Post
Here is the info to build one, about $10 in parts. I have built a few for different applications, very simple and work great. The below circuit is used to control the speed of a fan using heat, but put an LED where the fan is, and use the potentiometer to adjust the LED turn on temp. This circuit will just make the LED brighter as the heat goes up. http://www.heatsink-guide.com/tempcontrol.htm
Gonna go read this now.
Old 01-04-2010, 10:06 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

you can also use a thermistor,,cordless tools have them in the battery packs to shut down the chargers automatically,,you can search google for different temp settings in these,,they are preset and are not adjustable,,you can get them "hot" on or "hot" off...it would just be wired inline between your battery plug and your esc and placed on the side of your motor and taped or JBWELD'ed into place

coffee makers also use them
rmdesignworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 10:10 PM   #12
Rock Stacker

A thermistor would be the way to go for this. I worked at a place that made the thermistors used in anal temperature probes. I learned to hate thermistors.
colonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 09:24 AM   #13
RCC Addict

The thermister looks like the route Im going to try. I got some radioshack part numbers, but radioshack.com dosent have any thermisters. Going to check the local store now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by colonel View Post
A thermistor would be the way to go for this. I worked at a place that made the thermistors used in anal temperature probes. I learned to hate thermistors.
Testing all those thermosters must have been brutal. LOL.
Old 01-05-2010, 10:01 AM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Numerous ways ive heard them called, Thermal Swtiches, Thermal protectors... They are a little more difficult to find, perhaps digikey.com but here is a link for you for a 150 degree thermal protector swtitch. Essentially, It is normally closed untill temp of 150* then it will open cutting power to whatever, I feel you may have an issue with the small wires if you try to run one of the legs of the motor through it, perhaps inline with the switch to the speed control... but then you would lose stering or worse if your using drag brake on a hill climb, then it would release I would think. Either way, heres the link good price and small.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=263602_263622

EDIT:

Perhaps you get a normally open one and find a pezio wire its negative leg to - power, and positive leg to the thermal switch, other leg of thermal switch to + power, that way you wont be cutting power to anything simply applying power to the pezio letting you know the motor is operating at above 150*. Probably your best bet here.

Last edited by Katon; 01-05-2010 at 10:04 AM. Reason: More thoughts
Katon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 12:09 PM   #15
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katon View Post
EDIT:

Perhaps you get a normally open one and find a pezio wire its negative leg to - power, and positive leg to the thermal switch, other leg of thermal switch to + power, that way you wont be cutting power to anything simply applying power to the pezio letting you know the motor is operating at above 150*. Probably your best bet here.
Thats more of what Im looking for. Normaly open, and when set temp is reached, thermal switch closes and turns on a l.e.d.

I just found the mosfet 276-2072, and the potentiometer 271-0343 at the local radioshack. They dont have any thermistors at all. There own part number 271-110 or 271-0110 is not in there system.

Im going to looks for thermal switches now. Can you help me locate a 150*, and 160* noraml open? I can wire up the 150* with a yellow led, and the 160* with a red led.
Old 01-05-2010, 12:53 PM   #16
Pebble Pounder

Little warmer than you want but I found these...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=263602_263622
Katon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 01:02 PM   #17
RCC Addict

Yeah,, thats a little to hot. But if they make that one, then there is more than likely one thats cooler I could use. Still on the hunt.
Old 01-07-2010, 07:46 PM   #18
RCC Addict

I found some thermistors on ebay. All 40 of them are on the way. Im actualy going to build this thing just to see how well it works. Ill have two units and about 20 bucks in it when Im done. With many many more units available. I dont think Ill buy from radioshack again. Its way cheaper to buy in bulk elsewhere.
Old 01-10-2010, 02:06 PM   #19
RCC Addict

All the parts came in and I actualy <<(dont think thats spelled wright, Oh well) got this thing built. And it works awesome. I made a heat censor loop to go around the motor. Put a LED beside the ESC. The POT for adjusting at what temp the light comes on, is located beside the receiver. I had to work the heck out of the motor and put it in a bind and keep checking the temp with my temp gun untill the motor got to about 120*. then I adjusted the POT untill the light just started to come on at 120*. The as temp gets higher, the light gets brighter.
Attached Images