Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Problems running in snow

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2010, 02:09 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Problems running in snow

Hello,

I was just up the hill in the Sierra's, with both of my scx10s. I was having issues running the trucks in snow. Both trucks have been waterproofed, running on 3s lipo's.

After a few minutes running in the snow, the trucks motors would stop responding to the commands, and I was able to see sparks in the endball. So voltage was being passed through the esc, to the motor, but the motor would not operate. Both of the motors are new, with less than two packs through them. After taking them apart I can see that the communicator has burned and is covered in soot that I cannot just wipe off.

After looking through the water proofing sticky, I found this:

Motor

Believe it or not, in an electric RC, the motor is an area that requires very little attention when exposed to the elements. You don't really need to worry about keeping the moisture away from the elements as water will not affect it's operation. As a matter of fact, in some cases hobbyists run a motor underwater as a way to break the motor in. The only thing you'll need to do is disassemble the motor after running, and clean it well. Make sure you re-lube your motor's bearings or bushings when putting it back together.

So, if it is ok to run the motors submerged in water, why am I having difficulty running in snow? The snow is not salted, and is pretty fresh.

I am going to have the comms recut, and put some new brushes, stiffer springs, in them. I might also go to TGN and pick up some motor bags, and some RC4wd silver cans, so I can avoid doing this to my nice* motors again.

Has anyone else had similar experiences? Advice?

I was under the impression that I would not have any issues running in the snow. . .

Thanks for you time,

Drunk
DrunkDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-04-2010, 02:51 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Sorry can not help you,I have ran my e-maxx submerged in water and snow many,many times.Even took it through a 18-inch deep dirty water drainage ditch one time.never had a problem.

also have taken my crawler through snow,no waterproofing at all!!!

maybe you have bad luck?
What motor are you running?
Cliffhanger1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 02:53 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

JP warrior 35turn hand wounds. . .
Old 01-04-2010, 02:57 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Were the brushes frozen to the comm? That happened to me multiple times last year.
gr33nlemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 03:26 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

Sounds like your brush springs are too weak. This allowed the brushes to rise up off the commutator and get water underneath. In essence your brushes were hydroplaning. Water is a conductor but a high resistance one. This cause excessive current draw boiling the water out and causing the carbonizing of the contacts.
My theory anyway. I am an electronics engineer for whatever that is worth.
colonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 03:34 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

just hit the comms with a high grit sand paper for a sec (just enough to get them to shine) and add stiffer brush springs and you should be fine but when its freezing out id keep the water away from the motor so it doesnt freeze up the motor and like colonel said the brushes are hydro planeing
2500hdon37s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 03:36 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

I don't really know what to tell you that would be helpful. I know I've ran my scx10 submerged in a couple feet of water with an exposed brushed motor. I've also had my emaxx submerged before with no problems. I also run in snow up here all the time without problems. I'll be watching this because it kind of has me baffled too.
cuzican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 05:12 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

What motors are they? If they are Integy V11's, it is a common thing for them to do that. The V11's have a little chrome guide that the brushes get hung up on. I removed the guide and it made a big difference. There is a little tab that sticks out above the brush that I grabbed with some needle nose pliers and pulled them out. I hope this helps.
RaleighRCer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 06:15 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Thanks for all the replys!

I went to the LHS and had the comms recut, brushes were fine, and I installed stiffer springs in them.

I also bought two Rc4wd silver cans, 35t, and some outerwear motor bags, from TGN. I should be ok, and I will not run the nice motors in the snow again. The motor bags will keep the snow out of the cans.

I don't know what caused my problem, but I am certain it will not happen to me again, because I will just use the silver cans.

Thanks again!

Drunk
Old 01-05-2010, 12:10 AM   #10
Keep it real

I have never had a problem running in snow or water before until my first run this year. I cooked a motor after just 1 pack(Holmes 35T) It was especially cold that first run(3-5* ambient before windchill) and I think that had something to do with it.
I have run both a Traxxas Titan and an RC4WD 35T silvercan since then with no issues at all Best part about the RC4WD motors is they are cheap and work fine.
Tanis is offline   Reply With Quote