Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: What did I do to my motor and how can I fix it?! 55t lathe

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2005, 02:37 PM   #1

Default What did I do to my motor and how can I fix it?! 55t lathe

Hey everyone,

I'm a noob, and I hope this isn't a noob question, but if it is, I'm sure I'll be promptly informed.

Anyway, onto my problem. I built a tuber using clod axles and it has been running great. I've got the Tekin Rebel 2 ESC, 12 Gauge Silicone Novak wire, Epic 3000mah packs from Tower, and 2 55t Integy lathe motors.

I was stream 'wheelin with it 2 days ago and after about 30 minutes the front motor quit working. The motors are wired in parrallel, and the ESC never got wet, so I don't think there's anything wrong with the ESC. Once the motor dried out it will work sporadically. It's almost as if the motor needs to be spinning and then it will go, i.e. the rear motor needs to get the truck moving and then the front motor will kick in. I pulled the motor apart and cleaned it and put it back together. It ran fine with no load on the bench and for about 2 minutes after I put it back together, but then it was back to the same 'ole jerkiness.

What can I do to fix this? Everything I've read says the motors shouldn't have any problem being submerged as long as the ESC stays high and dry, but now I'm very hesitant to go stream crawling again, even though it's the only real rocks I have around here that are easily accessible.

Thanks for any tips/advice you can give me.

Ary
Arya Ebrahimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-31-2005, 04:20 PM   #2
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

your comm is probably glazed. you will need to get it cut on a motor lathe. check your brushes too to make sure they are in good shape and not hanging on the brush hood.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 09:50 AM   #3

Anybody got a link to a "Motor's for dummies"? Like I said I'm a noob, and what the hell is a comm? Thanks for your help guys.

Ary
Arya Ebrahimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 11:06 AM   #4
RCC Addict

The comm is the part of the motor that the brushes make contact with to transfer the power to the armature. It looks like a copper cylinder with three sections (on a three pole motor). If you are not familiar with disasembly/reassembly of electric motors, your best bet may be to take it to a hobby shop. Chances are they have a comm lathe and will cut the comm for you (either for a small fee, or sometimes for free). While you are at it, pick up a can of electric motor spray, and be sure to spray out your motor whenever you get it dirty or wet.

Last edited by Mad Scientist; 01-01-2006 at 01:03 PM.
Mad Scientist is offline   Reply With Quote