Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Cutting a motor commutator & motor tweaks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2011, 11:43 PM   #801
I wanna be Dave

He is still making them? Really? Blows me away that he would still produce them for virtually no market......they were barely used by racers, even though they were a great product.

I actually have some fussy brush stuff still, just depends what you want......I got some standard ones left, along with some of the interchangable bit type.....don't have all the bits, but have some. Also have the bearing/busing installers and removers.....still use them myself...

Big problem with the fussy brush is that they only made 7.5mm and 9mm comm stuff.....

Later EddieO
EddieO is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-11-2011, 11:55 PM   #802
RCC Addict

Yeah i only just got a email from him today, im guessing he only makes them when he gets and order but yeah still making them (once his machine is fixed lol)

So EddieO.. what would be the brush cutter you would use most for crawler motors? and is there a reason for that
Hulksta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 12:39 AM   #803
I wanna be Dave

Well, depends on what were are cutting

If you are trying to cut in brushes or reserrate them...its hard to beat the fussy brush really. The only down side to the units is the mess.

As for cutting brushes if you wanna mess with slots, H cuts, etc....well, I would say the Trinity Brush Butcher is the best (I actually have a few of these units brand new still if ya want one)......the Integy unit was good too, if you got a good one. They had units that were machined like crap, so its kinda a crap shoot if you get the good ones.

I am sure there is tons of tuning that could work for the motors.....I just don't get a lot of time to experiment like I would like to....

Looks like I can make the next comp though in my area, so I gotta get my truck wired up again.....

Later EddieO
Old 02-12-2011, 01:04 AM   #804
RCC Addict

Yeah im mainly cutting/reserrating them... but im interested in seeing what different cuts/slots on them would make and testing them on the dyno.. i know there is not much if any point in a crawler but i enjoy the test n tune side of the hobby I'll drop you a PM tonight
Old 02-12-2011, 07:40 AM   #805
MODERATOR™

I got a Fussybrush from Eddie, and I've used it a few times. He sent me the 9 mil serrated cut bit which helps with the big comm brush break in cause the brushes are shaped for a 7.5 mil comm. Maybe I have the 7.5 bit too, I can't remember.

I wouldn't say it makes a mess, but it does, kinda. But that's why I've set up an old motor can and endbell for just the Fussybrush cut jobs. Do the work there, then just clean the brush and put it in my nice and clean motor.
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 07:41 AM   #806
RCC Addict

Just picked up two Fantom lathes with a bunch of brushes and springs and a bunch of New brood stock motors from a guy...He also threw in a brush cutter (don't know the brand) so we will see if it's useful. Btw what is the difference between the silver and black fantom lathes? I am getting one of each...

Is everyone using 4 subc cells or a one cell lipo?
clarkrw3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 07:44 AM   #807
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by EeePee View Post
I wouldn't say it makes a mess, but it does, kinda. But that's why I've set up an old motor can and endbell for just the Fussybrush cut jobs. Do the work there, then just clean the brush and put it in my nice and clean motor.
Thats a good idea, reckon I'll use that one
Old 02-12-2011, 09:12 AM   #808
I wanna be Dave

We had a couple of fussy brush cans setup too....but, I was not of fan of doing it that way, as the brushes would not get cut into brush hood alignment......in mod, no biggie though....was more of a stock/19t thing...

I've never seen a black Fantom lathe.....I think they sold a lathe before the good one that was black, but I may be wrong....maybe post pics of it and we can see. I can always ask Jeff for ya...

I only use about 2.5-3 volts to cut on the fantom......5 volts is the tops I would ever cut at on pretty much any lathe......anything more is simply way too fast.

Later EddieO
Old 02-12-2011, 09:25 AM   #809
RCC Addict

Did I get scammed?? they looked fantom to me? Funny you say you have never seen a black one because this is the first silver one I have seen for sale
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieO View Post
We had a couple of fussy brush cans setup too....but, I was not of fan of doing it that way, as the brushes would not get cut into brush hood alignment......in mod, no biggie though....was more of a stock/19t thing...

I've never seen a black Fantom lathe.....I think they sold a lathe before the good one that was black, but I may be wrong....maybe post pics of it and we can see. I can always ask Jeff for ya...

I only use about 2.5-3 volts to cut on the fantom......5 volts is the tops I would ever cut at on pretty much any lathe......anything more is simply way too fast.

Later EddieO

Last edited by clarkrw3; 02-12-2011 at 09:29 AM.
Old 02-12-2011, 09:37 AM   #810
I wanna be Dave

I actually just picked up two more fantoms yesterday, both were the gun metal silver color...

The black one sure looks like a fantom, I'll have to ask Jeff about it.....I wonder if they switched to the other color, as its probably a harder coating....

The black sure looks cool though....the dials and such are all different too.

You should probably trade me the black one so it has a good home....

Later EddieO
Old 02-12-2011, 10:39 AM   #811
MODERATOR™

Quote:

You should probably trade me the black one so it has a good home...
Pffff.

Unless you send me a dyno so I can use it, unlike you.
Old 02-12-2011, 10:47 AM   #812
Rock Crawler

The Black one looks like a Bulldog lathe i use to have because of the "Guide Pins" for the carrage.
Speedracer19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 08:10 PM   #813
dnf

Ok,so I dunked some mini cans into the mek
they have been soaking since saturday around lunch time
magnets are still not budging

I'm not considering removing the magnets with no concern for saving them
and replacing them with another type of magnet

I heard there was some pretty strong magnets in a cpu
any body have some viable options for me?
rock hard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 08:20 PM   #814

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock hard View Post
...I heard there was some pretty strong magnets in a cpu
any body have some viable options for me?
There aren't any magnets in a CPU, but there are in hard drives. I almost lost a fingernail one time because they're so strong. I don't think they'll fit in a 380 motor though.
whoodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 08:23 PM   #815
dnf

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoodie View Post
There aren't any magnets in a CPU, but there are in hard drives. I almost lost a fingernail one time because they're so strong. I don't think they'll fit in a 380 motor though.

I was talking to my cousin,he says they are small.My hope is I could cut,mill them to a suitable size. making a 4 mag can from them.

He said he had one on a metal table and simply gave up on removing it.
rock hard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 08:40 PM   #816
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

You are better off getting some fresh mags online, you can find them in all sizes and for pretty cheap on ebay and through google searching for neodymium magnet. Just get a low grade so you aren't making the detent too strong. Machining rare earth magnets makes some really nasty dust, and they machine about as easily as a very sharp cheese.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 09:56 PM   #817
I wanna be Dave

No magnets in a cpu......old harddrive magnets will probably be way too big....plus a neo in a 380 can ain't gonna work very well.....they don't even use NEO magnets in slots really except in drag....way too much field for the little arm to overcome....

Most neo magnets are not something I would be cutting, as they can have some pretty toxic nasty stuff...

As for the MEK not letting the magnets loose.....well, I dunno......thats some crazy glue. Only thing now is heat........

Later EddieO
Old 02-17-2011, 07:15 PM   #818
RCC Addict

So this thread had inspired me!! Well this and my obsession with the for sale section over at rctech.net So in my searching for a "good" lathe I found a guy trying to dump some fantom lathes so I thought I would help him out. Also I found a guy getting rid of a bunch of motors $15 for 7 motors so I thought those might be worth playing with and learning on!! and found another guy with 3 brand new pro stock team Brood stock motors and a load of brushes springs etc. which I picked up for $30 so that should give me a good start Not sure what all I have so I thought I would post up and maybe some of you would clue me in Also one of the Fantoms is black and one is gunmetal and I am not sure the difference...also a brush cutter was thrown in...doesn't look great but it was FREE

Here's the pictures of my loot...and for you that don't know about the for sale section over on rctech.net ..don't go...it will ....not be good

Here is the free brush cutter

Here are the $2 a piece motors anything you know about them would be super cool

Now to the Sweet looking Broods...Eddie what are these?? to look like epic cans and the other a Zipp or is that Zapp

And now the LATHES super excited to play with these

Old 02-17-2011, 08:22 PM   #819
I wanna be Dave

Still lost how I missed these on RCtech.....must of been hidden in some weird for sale thread...

I REALLY want that black one.....simply looks cool.....I like everything black...

The brush cutter is an older one, but it worked......

Looks like you have plenty of servicable mods that can be upgraded to crawler arms......the stocks look to be a C027 (blue), ROAR (goldish color) and the Monster (Green)...they could work ok in a scaler or something....kinda stuck with a single motor truck, as 24 degrees of timing in reverse won't work so well in an MOA....

Later EddieO
Old 02-17-2011, 08:31 PM   #820
MODERATOR™

Quote:
...I like everything black...
Pffffff. Hah.

I noticed the beer can. I hear that's good stuff.

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/electronics/223989-cutting-motor-commutator-motor-tweaks.html
Posted By For Type Date
Hiilimoottorin kunnostaminen This thread Refback 10-04-2011 03:19 PM