RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Electronics (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/electronics/)
-   -   Cutting a motor commutator & motor tweaks (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/electronics/223989-cutting-motor-commutator-motor-tweaks.html)

EeePee 03-10-2010 03:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Good picture which shows where the comm hits, and therefore, hood shift needed.

philgoods9 03-10-2010 05:21 PM

"thumbsup"I suscribed to your post.
very instructive

EeePee 03-10-2010 05:39 PM

Cool.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rockcrawler (Post 2349358)
After I cut the comm on the puller motor

How out of wack was it?

EeePee 03-11-2010 03:10 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here's the other Integy 45 turn.

I took the brushes out first. Pretty centered. Both showing a fat on one side comm.

TEDROCKZ 03-11-2010 03:14 PM

If you have not cut the comm yet, mic it before and after. Curious as to how much your taking off.

EeePee 03-11-2010 03:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Oh, and here's the arm, wire winds are alright I guess, much better looking than that one I posted back a few ago.

Rockcrawler 03-11-2010 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EeePee (Post 2349584)
Cool.

How out of wack was it?

Mine was not bad at all.....just worn a little where the brushes hit.

Rockcrawler 03-11-2010 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EeePee (Post 2351372)
Oh, and here's the arm, wire winds are alright I guess, much better looking than that one I posted back a few ago.

Straighter........still look a little loose though.

EeePee 03-11-2010 03:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by TEDROCKZ (Post 2351369)
If you have not cut the comm yet, mic it before and after. Curious as to how much your taking off.

I don't have a tool, but I got the numbers on the dial and I'm keeping track.

First cut was at .135

Second cut at .140 looks like this.

EeePee 03-11-2010 03:28 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Here's where it gets good. This is what I was expecting. This is the 3rd cut at .145

The three pictures are of the same cut. One's almost clean, and one is barely touched.

EeePee 03-11-2010 03:50 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I didn't keep taking pictures until I was done.

Notice I'm showing the same side that was nearly untouched on the third pass.

Only eight cuts. Four until the 15 mark, then I cut it up into thirds for the final few.

TEDROCKZ 03-11-2010 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EeePee (Post 2351382)
I don't have a tool

You loose this?:mrgreen:
http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/attac...1&d=1267384314

EeePee 03-11-2010 05:24 PM

That was borrowed. And now I'm without.

I was shopping around today for one. Anyone got suggestions?

killswitch 03-11-2010 05:30 PM

Harbor Freight for an inexpensive set so you can take em to the track/rock pile and not worry too much about destroying a nice one. I think I paid $11 for mine on sale. I have a super nice high end set that's more precise, but I wouldnt dream of taking them to the rock pile or track... ever. The Harbor Freight piece has lasted me almost 5 years and is still going strong.

TEDROCKZ 03-11-2010 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by killswitch (Post 2351617)
Harbor Freight for an inexpensive set so you can take em to the track/rock pile and not worry too much about destroying a nice one. I think I paid $11 for mine on sale. I have a super nice high end set that's more precise, but I wouldnt dream of taking them to the rock pile or track... ever. The Harbor Freight piece has lasted me almost 5 years and is still going strong.

x2 That is what I have. I have a really expensive set myself and they have some sharp ass points on them. I dropped then on my bare foot on day tinkering around in the rc room. They were open @ 1-1/2 or so. Don't believe a snake bite could have hurt worse:evil:

dkf 03-11-2010 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EeePee (Post 2351607)
That was borrowed. And now I'm without.

I was shopping around today for one. Anyone got suggestions?

I have 3 electronic lMitutoyos. Two 6" coolantproof versions and a 4" standard version. Love all three of them. If you can swing it I would spend the money on a good one and be done.

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?P...PARTPG=INLMK32

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?P...PARTPG=INLMK32

Nice thread. Now I'm looking at motor lathes.:mrgreen:

IDnewcrwlr 03-11-2010 06:13 PM

this is a sweet thread. "thumbsup" :mrgreen: "thumbsup"makes me want to start savin my pennies and try getting a lathe to rebuild my own motors. .. . however i have been looking around a bit on fleabay and have no idear on a good one. i would like to get a fairly good one, without spending an arm n a leg. anyone got any suggestions?? thanks "thumbsup"

Rockcrawler 03-11-2010 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IDnewcrwlr (Post 2351730)
this is a sweet thread. "thumbsup" :mrgreen: "thumbsup"makes me want to start savin my pennies and try getting a lathe to rebuild my own motors. .. . however i have been looking around a bit on fleabay and have no idear on a good one. i would like to get a fairly good one, without spending an arm n a leg. anyone got any suggestions?? thanks "thumbsup"

You can get just about any of these in the thread for under $100 easy if you search around on rctech.

killswitch 03-11-2010 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IDnewcrwlr (Post 2351730)

Ive been using a Cobra lathe just like the one Eee Pee's been showing in the pics for years. It was the first one I bought way back in the day. Once it's set up properly its bullet proof, but it did take some adjustments to get it that way. I have used and owned other lathes over the years and I really like the Hudy stuff. I had a manual one that I scored in a trade during my last spin with carpet racing and it was really nice and a friend had the automatic one that was really nice. At one time I had a trinity lathe that used bearings instead of V blocks and it was great until the bearings started wearing out. I wouldnt get a consistent cut because the arm and bearings would float a bit due to slop. I dont think Ill ever go back to that style.

IDnewcrwlr 03-11-2010 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rockcrawler (Post 2351745)
You can get just about any of these in the thread for under $100 easy if you search around on rctech.

cool, i guess what i should have asked is is there one in particular that i should try and grab up over another?? i would like to spend no more than 150 IF possible. .. . thanks for the reply. ima have to check out that rctech NOW "thumbsup"