Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Low "c" taring vs. motor draw???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2010, 03:49 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Low "c" taring vs. motor draw???

Someone was curious about my battery choice VS. the motor that it's feeding. I'm running a Integy 35T motor with a B1R ESC with a 3s 1250mah, 12C battery. The thing is crazy fast with the gearing its got and nothing has gotten hot yet. I thought Kaetoe had run this same combo in his review but the C rating was higher. ????, is, Is it to little of battery if it's working fine so far? or am I in danger of doing damage to the battery or ESC? Don't see a problem yet so whats the scoop, will the motor draw too much that the battery can give it or will it hurt the ESC?:?
Krakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-14-2010, 03:55 PM   #2
RCC Addict

my rig would hit lvc everytime i tried to climb at half throttle with that batt, you'll notice alot more punch from a real batt instead of the tx batt.
indiana mudcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 04:03 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

Essentially... you are running a Heli combo. I may be off but I swear I recognize the numbers. With 12C of "flow" or discharge you're fine. You'd notice heat if you weren't. It's a bit like running a 20T -24T pinion - thus the crazy fast. But a 3S (11.1v) 12C 1250 mah is indeed a battery for Heli's (400 Class actually)
PrivateerConcepts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 04:06 PM   #4
RCC Addict

I used to run 20C (I am guessing BURST since no burst was listed) 11.2v 1500mah packs......I thought that they were great....that is until I dropped in a 40C continuous (50C Burst) 11.1v 1050mah pack. WOW. The difference was dramatic. I am convinced that running a lower C rated pack may work, but you truly do not get the maximum from the truck running those packs. I would not want to give up my 40C packs.
xirtic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 04:33 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by xirtic View Post
I used to run 20C (I am guessing BURST since no burst was listed) 11.2v 1500mah packs......I thought that they were great....that is until I dropped in a 40C continuous (50C Burst) 11.1v 1050mah pack. WOW. The difference was dramatic. I am convinced that running a lower C rated pack may work, but you truly do not get the maximum from the truck running those packs. I would not want to give up my 40C packs.
A 40C will indeed put up some RPMs. Drain fast also. Ah, but it's all about the right combo - gearing, motor, and electricity. Like in 1:1 cars V8 vs. V4 - small and done well can kick the hell out of big and not set right. Still with all that said, I do love the phrase "there just ain't no replacement for cubic displacement."
PrivateerConcepts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 04:47 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrivateerConcepts View Post
A 40C will indeed put up some RPMs. Drain fast also. Ah, but it's all about the right combo - gearing, motor, and electricity. Like in 1:1 cars V8 vs. V4 - small and done well can kick the hell out of big and not set right. Still with all that said, I do love the phrase "there just ain't no replacement for cubic displacement."
the C shouldn't affect the rpm, it affects how fast it picks up those rpms. a higher C will also let you get more mah out of the pack for longer runtime.

the pack the op is running puts out 15 amps peak, my 8711, 9650 and fan and rx can probably almost draw that. it's like trying to piss with a raging hard on.
Old 01-14-2010, 06:02 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by indiana mudcat View Post
the C shouldn't affect the rpm, it affects how fast it picks up those rpms. a higher C will also let you get more mah out of the pack for longer runtime.

the pack the op is running puts out 15 amps peak, my 8711, 9650 and fan and rx can probably almost draw that. it's like trying to piss with a raging hard on.
x2 on that.

Its like what most people have problems with the Losi MOA like I did...The two

HH35T I was running pulled so many amps combined, plus the worms didn't

help that. To get max power/amp draw with run time I got a 45c 2250

4cell...Talk about power. Only problem was the lipo was so dam big it made

my chassis weight to heavy and I didn't like the way it crawled..One reason

took my MOA back to shafty....
fa1rch1ld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 06:15 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Those are pretty much the answers I was expecting. Thanks. This was never intended to compete with and I've actually tuned down the F/R speeds from the remote just to keep it from faster than I currently want it too. We'll see I guess when I have a chance to get it on some rocks but I'm happy with, I just didn't want a lipo fire or to burn up the ESC.
Krakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 09:01 PM   #9
RCC Addict

the fact that it'll cut off as soon as you ask for power is all that'll stop it from popping the lipo.
Old 01-14-2010, 09:20 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

When you lower the C rating, you get a crappier low end throttle resolution and work the batter harder than a battery of the same capacity and a higher C. It would be like racing a Geo next to a Ferarri. The Ferarri will have to work alot less hard to produce the same power and speed...

I wont touch anything under a TRUE 25C...
Chris_The_Battery_Man is offline   Reply With Quote