Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Help for moa radio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2010, 09:06 PM   #1
Got Worms?

Default Help for moa radio

I've been searching through threads and i've been looking for a radio that would work for an moa. I have a dx3s right now but it only has a 2 pos switch which was fine when i was running a dig on a shafty but now i'd like to have front and rear dig since i'm moa now. I've read that you can have the channel reversing screen open to be able to accomplish front and rear but i'm not sure how to do that. I plan on running a punk dig switch but now i'm considering running dual speed controls if i get a futaba 4pk or 3pk, how does this setup work like that.
losikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-2010, 11:44 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

With a punk dig the futaba 3pm x is the best bang for the buck imho. If ya go dual esc I'd recommend a stick DX6/6EX if ya can work it. My 4pk (don't do a 3pk) with duals gives some kool mix percent options over the punk but really it aint much better.-(
oldhippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 01:40 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

if you can run a stick radio, go with dual esc's and a dx6i or dx7. 6 channel plane rx's are about half the cost of 3 channel surface units.
or you can spend a lot more money to stick with a pistol grip radio and run the 4pk.

the cheapest route:
go with the punk dig switch you will be fine with a dx3r or any radio with a 3 position 3rd channel
Lushtrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 01:46 PM   #4
20K Club

Futaba 3PMx with a punk dig works really well and is much cheaper than the DX3R. It also a much nicer radio than the DX3e.

For some awesome control and ease of use the 4PK is the way to go, most the top MOA drivers are switching to it or run it currently. My opinion is very biased though, not gonna lie

Stick radios give tons of control just take more practice. I myself could just never get comfortable with it.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 01:05 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley0706 View Post
Futaba 3PMx with a punk dig works really well and is much cheaper than the DX3R. It also a much nicer radio than the DX3e.

For some awesome control and ease of use the 4PK is the way to go, most the top MOA drivers are switching to it or run it currently. My opinion is very biased though, not gonna lie

Stick radios give tons of control just take more practice. I myself could just never get comfortable with it.
see, I just don't think I could get used to dialing in and out on the mix with a 4pk, but everyone has there own opinion. I like running the stick radio and don't use the mixing at all when crawling technical areas.
Old 01-19-2010, 01:23 PM   #6
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lushtrucker View Post
see, I just don't think I could get used to dialing in and out on the mix with a 4pk, but everyone has there own opinion. I like running the stick radio and don't use the mixing at all when crawling technical areas.
Dialing it with the 4PK is extremely easy. The problem with the stick radios is you have keep varying both as you progress. The 4PK you just set and drive, then return it when your done. It helps to have it very consistent, makes you more confident with the truck.
Old 01-19-2010, 02:10 PM   #7
Got Worms?

Is it possible to have indepent control at both times witht the the 4pk
Old 01-19-2010, 02:39 PM   #8
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by losikid View Post
Is it possible to have indepent control at both times witht the the 4pk
You can adjust mix at any time, just like a stick. If you wanted to only control one motor yoh would just go to dig. What else would you be looking for? Independant control at the same time really doesn't really explain much to me I guess :-?
Old 01-19-2010, 03:02 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Dialing it with the 4PK is extremely easy. The problem with the stick radios is you have keep varying both as you progress. The 4PK you just set and drive, then return it when your done. It helps to have it very consistent, makes you more confident with the truck.

I've never tried a 4pk, I wanted a stick radio anyway for the extra channels for my scaler, and the dx7 "tx only" ($229) plus 2 6 channel rx's ($50 each) was a good bit less than a 4pk ($499), so it was an easy choice for me based on price. you could also pick up a dx6i with a 6ch rx for $199 if you didn't want the 3 position toggle switch and extra programming options.

I have tried setting up several different mix percentages and haven't really liked the mixes, I seem to do better running with the mix off, tho some times I do end up over driving the rear by mistake
Old 01-19-2010, 03:02 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhippie View Post
don't do a 3pk
Why is this? What as not up to snuff when I was running my 3PK that I could have had better with another pistol grip radio? I now have a 4PK and I haven't found anything I can do with it that I didn't with my 3PK on my 2.2.
Scottmisfits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 03:13 PM   #11
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottmisfits View Post
Why is this? What as not up to snuff when I was running my 3PK that I could have had better with another pistol grip radio? I now have a 4PK and I haven't found anything I can do with it that I didn't with my 3PK on my 2.2.
Trigger controlled rear dig is about the only thing on a 2.2 that a 3PK won't do.
Old 01-19-2010, 03:42 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

And I really don't get why that is. You should be able to set your 3rd channel control to any button on the radio. The two thumb dials would be perfect. Top wheel is your front motor, bottom wheel is rear motor. Or any of the trim switches.
Scottmisfits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 03:49 PM   #13
20K Club

Quote:
And I really don't get why that is. You should be able to set your 3rd channel control to any button on the radio. The two thumb dials would be perfect. Top wheel is your front motor, bottom wheel is rear motor. Or any of the trim switches.
You can set your third channel to anything. The problem is that your trigger will alway control channel 2 and thats where your front ESC is. You can't pull the trigger and tell it not to control the channel it is assigned to.
Old 01-19-2010, 05:18 PM   #14
Got Worms?

Quote:
Can these knobs give independent control of front an rear (be able to have control front and rear at different rates)
Old 01-19-2010, 07:13 PM   #15
RCC Addict

What about channel mixing? Master/Slave setting. Plug one ESC into 2nd channel and second ESC into 3rd channel? But then I dont know how you would have dig. I need to find out about this myself. I may be going MOA on one of my LCC's. Id like to be able to adjust the rate between two ESC's. So I can add or get rid of the stall. ????????
KBrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 07:24 PM   #16
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by losikid View Post
Can these knobs give independent control of front an rear (be able to have control front and rear at different rates)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KBrog View Post
What about channel mixing? Master/Slave setting. Plug one ESC into 2nd channel and second ESC into 3rd channel? But then I dont know how you would have dig. I need to find out about this myself. I may be going MOA on one of my LCC's. Id like to be able to adjust the rate between two ESC's. So I can add or get rid of the stall. ????????
Yes you can adjust the rate front to rear. It is very easy. Check out the 4PK thread, I also have 3PK settings in there. I have a video on there showing the mixing abilities and how they work.
Old 01-19-2010, 07:30 PM   #17
RCC Addict

Quote:
Yes you can adjust the rate front to rear. It is very easy. Check out the 4PK thread, I also have 3PK settings in there. I have a video on there showing the mixing abilities and how they work.
Thanks for the info. I have to stick with the DX3R I have now. I guess with the DX3R, I should just run one ESC and a punk dig????????
KBrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 07:50 PM   #18
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBrog View Post
Thanks for the info. I have to stick with the DX3R I have now. I guess with the DX3R, I should just run one ESC and a punk dig????????
Yeah that the best bet with a 3R.
Old 01-20-2010, 12:32 AM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Trigger controlled rear dig is about the only thing on a 2.2 that a 3PK won't do.
There is that and ya can't turn the front mix down. I really didn't like my 3pk with dual esc. :-(
oldhippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 04:24 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhippie View Post
There is that and ya can't turn the front mix down. I really didn't like my 3pk with dual esc. :-(
I just got my 2nd FXR, am now am confused on weather or not to run it VS. the punk dig. I really want F/R dig but don't want to have to adjust it with a dial every time I need to use it.
I may be better off just changing the front pinion and using the Punk unit. Harley, what are your thoughts? I'm not giving up my 3PK, and can't afford to go 4PK at this point.
Krakker is offline   Reply With Quote